• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

RustyNails

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
tesla.0.gif

Model 3 owners, come hither. Gather 'round the light, 'for I have despairing news to tell. All your Model 3's got delayed. And this will not be the last time this happens.

Mine now says "Mid 2018". Before it used to say April-Jun 2018.

Oct 27, 2017
Lexington, KY
I went from Jan-Mar 2018 to Early 2018... but the other options just got bumped a month. Whatever... more time to save I guess

It's unfortunate that Trumps tax reform will probably kill the tax credit. Ugh.

turmoil7

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Asoiaf ot, model 3 ot, I think only a berserk ot is missing to complete the holy waiting trinity

SteveMeister

Oct 31, 2017
My AWD selection moved back a month -- from Sep-Nov 2018 to Oct-Dec 2018. No biggie.

By the way, the GOP tax bill eliminates the EV tax credit for eligible vehicles placed in service after 12/31/17. So if you want the credit, be sure to call your congresspeople and senators.

Last edited:

impingu1984

Oct 31, 2017
UK
Was very tempted to throw down the £1000 to reserve my slot as it were... however the right hand drive Model 3 is due to start production in "2019" and seeing that the productions is 20% of they thought it would be now I'm just going to hold and see what happens... by 2019 the Model 3 will have a lot more competition.

Deleted member 8741

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Mid-2018 for me. Honestly, I'm fine with that. As long as I get my tax credit I can wait until late 2018.

Oct 28, 2017
I bought a P100D exactly for this reasoning. The writing was on the wall.

ALSO HUGE NEWS - Tesla is running out of the $7500 tax credit and it may be completely removed for all companies by the government [Trump] starting 01/01/18.

Mid-2018 for me. Honestly, I'm fine with that. As long as I get my tax credit I can wait until late 2018.

You won't be getting a Tax credit. Tesla's allotment will be gone by then EVEN IF the government keeps the $7500 tax credit.

Deleted member 8741

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I bought a P100D exactly for this reasoning. The writing was on the wall.

ALSO HUGE NEWS - Tesla is running out of the $7500 tax credit and it may be completely removed for all companies by the government [Trump] starting 01/01/18.

You won't be getting a Tax credit. Tesla's allotment will be gone by then EVEN IF the government keeps the $7500 tax credit.

Source?

Oct 28, 2017

https://electrek.co/2017/11/02/electric-vehicle-tax-credit-expected-slashed-new-house-tax-bill/

It's now confirmed that a complete end of the tax credit by the end of the year is currently on the GOP's House bill.

Tesla has also utilized 140,000 of the 200,000 $7500 allotment. So if you are wanting to get this Tax Credit, you need to use it this year. The reddit Tesla forum is freaking out right now. This is a HUGE ordeal for people who were going to rely upon this tax credit.

Everyone planning on getting a 3 WONT BE GETTING THIS.

Deleted member 8741

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
https://electrek.co/2017/11/02/electric-vehicle-tax-credit-expected-slashed-new-house-tax-bill/

It's now confirmed that a complete end of the tax credit by the end of the year is currently on the GOP's House bill.

Tesla has also utilized 140,000 of the 200,000 $7500 allotment. So if you are wanting to get this Tax Credit, you need to use it this year.

So only IF this tax bill passes. That's a huge IF, because right now it's looking like it won't pass.

And where are you getting that their supply will run out? I've seen various estimates of how it will play out, so I don't think that's for sure.

Oct 28, 2017
So only IF this tax bill passes. That's a huge IF, because right now it's looking like it won't pass

And where are you getting that their supply will run out? I've seen various estimates of how it will play out, so I don't think that's for sure..

You're also forgetting that Tesla only has an allotment of 200,000 cars that can get the $7500 tax credit which 140k has been utilized. This is a double edge sword.

200,000 allotment comes from the government when this tax credit was started. Each company was only allowed 200k cars to receive this tax credit, so Model 3 owners were never guaranteed to get it anyways depending upon their delivery date.

Last edited:

Deleted member 8741

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
You're also forgetting that Tesla only has an allotment of 200,000 cars that can get the $7500 tax credit which 140k has been utilized. This is a double edge sword.

200,000 allotment comes from the government when this tax credit was started. Each company was only allowed 200k cars to receive this tax credit, so Model 3 owners were never guaranteed to get it anyways depending upon their delivery date.

That's an oversimplificaiton of how the federal tax credit works:

Federal-EV-Tax-Credit-Scenarios-for-Tesla-updated.png

So What Does This All Mean?

If you are a Model 3 reservation holder living in the US and your completed purchase doesn't happen by either Q2 or Q3 of 2018, you most likely won't be able to take advantage of the full $7,500 tax credit. But you will still have several more quarters to take advantage of the reduced tax credit amounts of $3,750 or $1,875.

Because there are so many factors involved, including where you live and if you are already own a Tesla, it is hard to predict based on your reservation date or number when you will be able to configure your Model 3 — though, here is a delivery estimator from Teslanomics. If we assume that roughly 250,000 of the current reservation holders live in the US, it seems likely that all current US reservation holders would qualify for at least one of the three levels of the tax credit.

Oct 28, 2017
Right, but that's only IF the tax credit stays. All signs point to Republicans ending it. I'm just saying, don't expect to receive anything. If you do, great! Just keep that in mind.

Deleted member 8741

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Right, but that's only IF the tax credit stays. All signs point to Republicans ending it. I'm just saying, don't expect to receive anything. If you do, great! Just keep that in mind.

Sure, I don't have to follow through with it.

That said, most signs point towards this bill not passing the senate, so I'm not giving up hope on it.

KorrZ

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
I was looking at the Model 3 as my next car, but considering the production issues I imagine I wouldn't be able to get my hands on one until 2019 at the earliest.

I guess we'll just see how the landscape looks at that point.

j_rocca42

Oct 25, 2017
PNW
Man, I'm in love with this car. No reservation for me yet,as I can't afford one for a couple years. It will be mine though!

Biggersmaller

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Minneapolis
I just sold my Tesla stock I bought instead of getting one of their cars (+40%). Eventually I will get one of these bastards but I need to get a charger for my garage, wear out my current vehicle, budget for a car payment, etc:

Heretic

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
My reservation was pushed back a month. Now Dec 2017 to Feb 2018. It's probably going to be more than that. No biggie.

Method

Oct 25, 2017
i actually just got bumped from nov-dec 2017 to dec-feb for our model 3 reservation which we will end up cancelling.

i just got a model s yesterday (pearl white 2017 model s 75). we checked out the model 3, it was in the same warehouse in fremont where we picked up our car. looks super slick, can def see size differences between the s and the 3 but that was a given. we would have gone with the 3 but we got a great deal for a CPO (certified pre-owned) model s with 90 miles on it.

Carfo

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Probably for the best. Better they not rush it out, but Elon seems over enthusiastic about release dates--such as thinking he can build that tunnel in the US in one year.

Felt

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I thought I saw some news that the GOP delayed their tax reform bill?

nStruct

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Seattle, WA
The delay I can handle, but losing the EV credit would be unfortunate. A big reason I was going to jump in right away was the big rebate but if that's not going to happen then I may wait a couple years to see how the Model 3 shakes out.

Oct 28, 2017
The delay I can handle, but losing the EV credit would be unfortunate. A big reason I was going to jump in right away was the big rebate but if that's not going to happen then I may wait a couple years to see how the Model 3 shakes out.

This is how I see this turning out. Tesla especially is going to be hurt since the only cars they make are EV.

The tax credit greatly helped sell a bunch of cars for them.

Heretic

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Heavily banking on the $10k ($7,500 Fed, $2,500 State) being available when I get my car. I plan on leasing so that should take $10k off the price of the vehicle... Dammit.

Lace

Oct 27, 2017
Heavily banking on the $10k ($7,500 Fed, $2,500 State) being available when I get my car. I plan on leasing so that should take $10k off the price of the vehicle... Dammit.
I sincerely doubt Tesla will be offering any Model 3's for lease. The last time Tesla talked on the subject they stated they were focusing on sales and provided no definitive timeframe for a model 3 leasing program. I'd expect them to push back any lease program till late 2018 or 2019. Better start saving those dollars.

Source:
https://seekingalpha.com/article/4105496-tesla-faint-model-3-payment

Carfo

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
fuck i want one. why did i have to get married and have kids? they take all my monies!

gorelimey

Oct 25, 2017
In the UK so 2019, regardless.

I'm hoping we'll see air-suspension by then and atleast dual motors, smaller battery and performance mode will be out.

Paradox House

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Can someone explain why the attention is with Tesla cars VS other electric cars? What is Tesla doing better?

gorelimey

Oct 25, 2017
Can someone explain why the attention is with Tesla cars VS other electric cars? What is Tesla doing better?

#1 No other company has a worldwide network of fast chargers (superchargers) to support long distance travel. The use of this network is free on all current cars you can buy, even secondhand.

#2 Giving electric tech patents away for free

#3 Electric only company. Fully committed to that technology, not trying to keep old tech alive or make excuses about short range vehicles

#4 Making electric cars desirable.

#5 Find another electric car that can carry 7 people, does 300 miles and 0-60 under 3 seconds

#6 Forcing the industry to change. We wouldn't have the M3 panic (that car execs should have seen with MS) that caused all manufacturers to get electric cars ready for 2020/2021

Last edited:

Mcfrank

Oct 28, 2017
So since the tax reform has passed, does the EV credit still exist for next year?

A final bill has not passed. It is in conference committee. The EV credit was removed from the house bill, but still in the Senate bill. We do not know 100% what will be in the final bill.

They are certainly starting to ramp production:

6t5e0m2y8x301.jpg

Also, mine is so close:
j0HPBL4.png

Last edited:

j_rocca42

Oct 25, 2017
PNW
Good to see production starting to really ramp up. I'm still a couple years out from being able to get one though :-(

mf.luder

Oct 28, 2017
Late 2018 as of right now for Ontario. I was in line on March 31st. I feel this will get pushed to 2019.

I'm tempted to upgrade my 2004 golf but I'm trying to hold strong!