• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

BAD

Oct 25, 2017
USA

Also SuperCharger 3 will be revealed this week.

https://www.theverge.com/2019/3/3/18249076/tesla-model-y-suv-unveiled-march-14th
Tesla will unveil its Model Y crossover SUV on March 14th during an event at the company's design studio Los Angeles, CEO Elon Musk announced Sunday. The new electric car will be Tesla's fifth since the company was founded in 2003.

The Model Y will share about 75 percent of its parts with the Model 3, which is Tesla's most affordable car. It will be built at the company's Gigafactory outside Reno, Nevada, and is supposed to enter volume production in 2020. Musk said Tesla signed off on the final design late last year.

captive

Oct 25, 2017
Houston
Came to post this.

I suspect the reason they're able to offer the 35k model 3 is that the Y shares so many parts with it. Getting the economies of scale.

I'm pretty excited about the Y, may get one to replace our minivan.

Is this supposed to be A SUV
crossover suv. Id expect a taller model 3 with a different door for the trunk.

TerminusFox

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Question for car enthusiasts: How do they keep these car designs under wrap? I thought they'd be leak city now.

0VERBYTE

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Tesla has the most interesting EV designs. Am watching this closely. I swear to all that is holy I will own a tesla in the next 6 years damnit!

laminated

Oct 28, 2017
I wanted a sport back for the Model 3 so bad. If this one had less obstruction between the back seats and the trunk I'll be so hyped.

shinra-bansho

Oct 25, 2017
It will be interesting to see how many interest free microloans they can possibly squeeze out a million years before any product is ready, given the last time they did it they ended up meaningless, lol.

Feb 1, 2018
Americans fucking love crossovers, so this thing will probably sell more and sell faster than the Model 3 which was already pretty unprecedented for a compact luxury sedan.

The Hyundai Kona electric crossover is in such high demand right now that dealers are scalping them for $8k+ above MSRP.

enzo_gt

Oct 25, 2017
Tesla x Crossover is like the perfect storm for the direction the market (and industry) is moving. This product is going to be huge.

Hopefully it looks more like the S/X than it does the 3.

NYR

Oct 27, 2017
Hopefully it looks more like the S/X than it does the 3.

See above. I expect the response to be much like when the iPad came out ("lulz, it's a big iPhone!11!??!").

It's basically going to be if the 3 and an X had a baby, these render looks pretty spot on for something like that:

tesla-model-y-render.jpg

tesla-model-y-render-2.jpg

Argyle

Oct 25, 2017
It will be interesting to see how many interest free microloans they can possibly squeeze out a million years before any product is ready, given the last time they did it they ended up meaningless, lol.

Sure, except this is complete bullshit? It's easy to get a Model 3 now but the reservations were definitely not meaningless a year ago.

shinra-bansho

Oct 25, 2017
Sure, except this is complete bullshit? It's easy to get a Model 3 now but the reservations were definitely not meaningless a year ago.
How so? Everybody who pre-ordered (and didn't cancel) got one.
Are you actually both disputing that a significant number of people paid for reservations to the company multiple years ago, for a version of this vehicle that's only just being released and that they probably still don't have yet, and that the company opened up a free for all process of getting the car ahead of these people?

m_shortpants

Oct 25, 2017

See above. I expect the response to be much like when the iPad came out ("lulz, it's a big iPhone!11!??!").

It's basically going to be if the 3 and an X had a baby, these render looks pretty spot on for something like that:

tesla-model-y-render.jpg

tesla-model-y-render-2.jpg

The X has grown on me quite a lot. My in-laws allowed me to drive theirs for a week when we were house sitting for them. I presume the Y will have a similar front end, less sad looking.

Feb 1, 2018
Are you actually both disputing that a significant number of people paid for reservations to the company multiple years ago, for a version of this vehicle that's only just being released and that they probably still don't have yet, and that the company opened up a free for all process of getting the car ahead of these people?

Yeah, because that's not really what happened. How was it a "free for all" btw? Your wording is pretty sensationalized and I'm genuinely curious as to why.

You can order a $35K Model 3 right now for delivery in 2-4 weeks. People who pre-ordered in 2017+ ("multiple years ago" lol) were informed that the base model was further out but the mid range and premium range models were available sooner. Most of those people got their cars, because they saw value in those other models, and the rest of them cancelled and got their money back (like me) if they couldn't wait or didn't want to wait for the $35k model. WHAT A SCAM HUH, GO TO JAIL ELON

Ryno23

Banned
Dec 13, 2017
Yeah this has potential to double the sales/demand of Model 3 at least in the US. Makes sense now why they pulled out all the stops to get the 35k Model 3 out as well ahead of this, otherwise the internet would be a shit show of "lying, fraud, huckster" lol. Wouldn't be shocked if the pickup truck is the "one more thing"

Edit: guess Elon tweeted truck reveal is later this year so scratch that

Last edited:

Argyle

Oct 25, 2017

Are you having trouble reading my post? The reservations may not be meaningful now (and honestly we don't even know, it's possible people who order now with a reservation will get their cars first) but they were certainly meaningful a year ago.

(And yes, I am disputing that, because it's bullshit? True or false, could anyone order a Model 3 in a free for all a year ago?)

Last edited:

Mcfrank

Oct 28, 2017

Anyone who held out for the 35k version without a full tax credit when they could have gotten the midrange with a full tax credit for basically the same price is pretty dumb in my book.

shinra-bansho

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, because that's not really what happened. How was it a "free for all" btw? Your wording is pretty sensationalized and I'm genuinely curious as to why.

You can order a $35K Model 3 right now for delivery in 2-4 weeks. People who pre-ordered in 2017+ ("multiple years ago" lol) were informed that the base model was further out but the mid range and premium range models were available sooner. Most of those people got their cars, because they saw value in those other models, and the rest of them cancelled and got their money back (like me) if they couldn't wait or didn't want to wait for the $35k model. WHAT A SCAM HUH, GO TO JAIL ELON
Way to strawman.

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2016/apr/04/tesla-motors-sells-10bn-model-3-two-days
April 2016.

https://www.theverge.com/2018/7/10/17556948/tesla-model-3-orders-now-available-north-america
July 2018

I'm not sure on what basis you assert that most of these people already have their vehicle, let alone all of them as you initially asserted.

As I said, given this past experience, I am curious how many people are dumb enough to give another interest free loan to the company based on marketing hype so they can enjoy their car in 2022.

j_rocca42

Oct 25, 2017
PNW
Way to strawman.

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2016/apr/04/tesla-motors-sells-10bn-model-3-two-days
April 2016.

https://www.theverge.com/2018/7/10/17556948/tesla-model-3-orders-now-available-north-america
July 2018

I'm not sure on what basis you assert that most of these people already have their vehicle, let alone all of them as you initially asserted.

As I said, given this past experience, I am curious how many people are dumb enough to give another interest free loan to the company based on marketing hype so they can enjoy their car in 2022.
Probably around the same amount that did it for the model 3 I'd wager.

captive

Oct 25, 2017
Houston
Way to strawman.

April 2016.

July 2018

I'll bet you the Y will start selling later this year.
It's basically the same car as the 3 they won't have as much production hell as they did with the 3.

zzz

Oct 27, 2017
Anyone who held out for the 35k version without a full tax credit when they could have gotten the midrange with a full tax credit for basically the same price is pretty dumb in my book.
Wasn't the midrange around $46,000 last year? That'd be $38,500 after the full $7,500 tax credit.

The base model that just launched is $35,000 before incentives. Total cost is $31,250 after the current $3,750 tax credit.

A $7,250 difference isn't what I'd consider basically the same price.

Ryno23

Banned
Dec 13, 2017
Wasn't the midrange around $46,000 last year? That'd be $38,500 after the full $7,500 tax credit.

The base model that just launched is $35,000 before incentives. Total cost is $31,250 after the current $3,750 tax credit.

A $7,250 difference isn't what I'd consider basically the same price.
Plus the Mid range is now 40k..so $36,250 after credit, it's cheaper to buy it now.

If they do manage that, then hats off to them I guess for managing to get around their weird inability to raise external capital.

You seem really weirdly salty about all off this. Perhaps you should be disclosing your TSLA short position in all your Tesla bashing posts in every single thread? Lol

Kernel

Oct 25, 2017
The real question is going to be whether to spring for a Model 3 now while there is some form of tax rebate or wait for the Model Y and get 0.