• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

shinra-bansho

Oct 25, 2017
You seem really weirdly salty about all off this. Perhaps you should be disclosing your TSLA short position in all your Tesla bashing posts in every single thread? Lol
I assume this is step 6 part B in your astroturfing handbook or something, guy who has 280 odd posts almost all entirely about this company being great.

NYR

Oct 27, 2017
Just to be clear those are someone's renderings.
My post was very clear those are renders, it did not need repeating. Moreover, the renders are built off the one of two official teaser images released, which has the wide bumper.

teaser-for-tesla-model-y-electric-suv-due-for-reveal-in-2019_100653891_m.jpg

Bigwombat

Banned
Nov 30, 2018
Man I'm such an idiot. For some reason I thought that it was going to be a compact pickup like a ranger. Why did I think that?

TheAbsolution

Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta, GA
It will. Tesla always does that when the first show their cars.

They would like to remove them and use cameras instead to remove drag but they are mandated by law.
As they should be. I'd rather have regular mirrors available as a backup to virtual mirrors as is the case with the rear view camera systems some cars have now. It's good to have a fallback.

Ryno23

Banned
Dec 13, 2017
I assume this is step 6 part B in your astroturfing handbook or something, guy who has 280 odd posts almost all entirely about this company being great.

Who is worse, fans and advocates of zero emissions transportation and what this company is achieving accelerating the entire industry to this goal, making the world a healthier cleaner better place. Or people that go all over the internet spreading doom and gloom and lots of BS and shitting up every single freaking thread because they are actively rooting for said company to go bankrupt and stand to gain from it financially? The former have good intentions, the latter are complete physcopaths.

Armaros

Oct 25, 2017
Plus the Mid range is now 40k..so $36,250 after credit, it's cheaper to buy it now.

You seem really weirdly salty about all off this. Perhaps you should be disclosing your TSLA short position in all your Tesla bashing posts in every single thread? Lol

So you are literally going to parrot delusional Elon Musk Fan club subreddits and call everyone that disagrees with you a Tesla Short?

This is ERA not r/teslamotors or R/elonmusk.

Ryno23

Banned
Dec 13, 2017
User Banned (1 Day): Antagonizing Another User; Accumulated Infractions
So you are literally going to parrot delusional Elon Musk Fan club subreddits and call everyone that disagrees with you a Tesla Short?

This is ERA not r/teslamotors or R/elonmusk.

No. I didn't disagree with him on anything. Just pointing out the only reason someone would be so upset Telsa will be taking reservations and raising cash, bringing up financials in a thread about a new model reveal was if they had a short position they were worried about when the market opens tomorrow. And judging by the post history, almost always about TSLA and financials well...

shinra-bansho

Oct 25, 2017
Who is worse, fans and advocates of zero emissions transportation and what this company is achieving accelerating the entire industry to this goal, making the world a healthier cleaner better place. Or people that go all over the internet spreading doom and gloom and lots of BS and shitting up every single freaking thread because they are actively rooting for said company to go bankrupt and stand to gain from it financially? The former have good intentions, the latter are complete physcopaths.
lmao. Seriously, what page of the script is this.

There are plenty of people in this thread who seem to have some sort of earnest affection for this company and/or the cartoon character in charge of it, I'm sure. It's not something I get, but more power to them.

And then there's you.

The financials and operations of the company and the bizarre behaviour of its crackpot CEO are really the only thing I find interesting about it, so that's what I post about in relation to it.

I have a wide range of postings on here, mostly in relation to politics, I was one of the terrible mods at the old bad place lol; anyone is free to look through my post history, I don't really know what they expect to find. It's quite audacious of you to tell people to look through post histories though.

Last edited:

Juices

alt account
Banned
Mar 3, 2019
I just hope the popularity of Teslas bring more competitors to the market making electric cars more accessible. We really need this to take off.

Argyle

Oct 25, 2017
Way to strawman.

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2016/apr/04/tesla-motors-sells-10bn-model-3-two-days
April 2016.

https://www.theverge.com/2018/7/10/17556948/tesla-model-3-orders-now-available-north-america
July 2018

I'm not sure on what basis you assert that most of these people already have their vehicle, let alone all of them as you initially asserted.

As I said, given this past experience, I am curious how many people are dumb enough to give another interest free loan to the company based on marketing hype so they can enjoy their car in 2022.

Sure, I think you missed some context there.

November 2017: Tesla invites the first non-employee reservation holders to order the Model 3
At this point the first non-employees are able to order their car, since Tesla gave priority to previous Model S, X, and Roadster owners these invitations only went out to previous owners.

February 2018: Tesla invites the first wave of non-owner reservation holders
In late February, Tesla invited the first wave of non-owners. At this time only one configuration of the car is available (long range RWD). Several more waves of invitations went out every week or two.

May 2018: Tesla will enable orders for new Model 3 versions next week
This was for reservation holders only, and not all reservation holders. As they started production they started allowing people with reservations who had already been invited to configure to order this configuration, based on priority and the time of reservation. I think that many people who had later reservations could still not order any configuration of Model 3 at this point in time (as they had not been invited to configure yet), and the vast majority of people who had been invited but had not ordered yet also did not get to order AWD or Performance AWD, the two new configurations introduced this week.

June 2018: Tesla opens up ordering to all reservation holders
Tesla opens up ordering of all available configurations (LR RWD, LR AWD, Performance AWD) to all reservation holders.

Then in July, as you posted, they opened up orders to everyone. I don't think that makes the reservations "meaningless" as you say. As I mentioned earlier, this time they didn't hold back ordering of the SR to reservation holders so maybe they are meaningless now, but given that no one has received an SR Model 3 yet we don't know if they are going to prioritize deliveries to reservation holders.

Also, I think it's super weird how you seem so, uhh, obsessed with Tesla, but don't seem to have a dog in this fight at all, aside from like, sheer hatred or something? I kinda think Elon is an erratic CEO, but I think you have to give the man his props, he saw the convergence of many different technologies were going to make electric cars viable, and he went and executed on that, and here we are - his company is several years ahead, as when you compare competing cars from legacy manufacturers that are still a couple of years out to what is available from Tesla today and they are actually inferior in many (most, even!) respects to the current Teslas. How many electric car startups from the time that Tesla started are still around? It's kinda like Steve Jobs, I'm not a huge fan but give the guy props for betting that people would be willing to accept less than one day of battery life on their cell phones if it meant a lot more functionality in a time when cell phones only needed to be recharged every few days. Honestly there are lots of things that I don't particularly care for but I try not to go into threads about them to shit them up, I think life is too short for that...

And honestly, since you've made it clear in other threads that you don't actually care if the cars are good or not, I don't think you will ever understand why people choose to defend Tesla.

Last edited:

Armaros

Oct 25, 2017
No. I didn't disagree with him on anything. Just pointing out the only reason someone would be so upset Telsa will be taking reservations and raising cash, bringing up financials in a thread about a new model reveal was if they had a short position they were worried about when the market opens tomorrow. And judging by the post history, almost always about TSLA and financials well...

No, not being able to address someone's arguments and just coming back to saying "weill i guess you are a short" is classic Elon Cult behavior.

And you keep on doing it, You supports are obsessed with Shorts, and i bet none of you actually know how shorting and the stock market actually works and just repeat talking points you see elsewhere.

Hence your obsession with labeling anyone that disagrees, a Tesla Short.

shinra-bansho

Oct 25, 2017
Also, I think it's super weird how you seem so, uhh, obsessed with Tesla, but don't seem to have a dog in this fight at all, aside from like, sheer hatred or something? I kinda think Elon is an erratic CEO, but I think you have to give the man his props, he saw the convergence of many different technologies were going to make electric cars viable, and he went and executed on that, and here we are - his company is several years ahead, as when you compare competing cars from legacy manufacturers that are still a couple of years out to what is available from Tesla today and they are actually inferior in many (most, even!) respects to the current Teslas. How many electric car startups from the time that Tesla started are still around? It's kinda like Steve Jobs, I'm not a huge fan but give the guy props for betting that people would be willing to accept less than one day of battery life on their cell phones if it meant a lot more functionality in a time when cell phones only needed to be recharged every few days. Honestly there are lots of things that I don't particularly care for but I try not to go into threads about them to shit them up, I think life is too short for that...

And honestly, since you've made it clear in other threads that you don't actually care if the cars are good or not, I don't think you will ever understand why people choose to defend Tesla.
Thanks for the context, but I'm not entirely sure it changes the dynamic? At the end of the day, there are people who put down $1,000 and may only now get their product, while others didn't have to do this at all, so I honestly don't know why anyone would do that again. But I also don't understand why people pre-order games, so.

I mean, I think I've made clear in previous exchanges with you I'm not a car person, my contribution to a sustainability is walking and mass transit. I don't really know where expectation comes from that people only post in threads to spin things positively, how boring is that. I'll make no bones about that I think Elon Musk, whatever his accomplishments, is a douche, and I hold a low opinion of crazed fans of his, but I reserve my hate for things like Trump and Bradley Cooper. I don't really know why people take critique of a company or it's leadership as some sort of personal affront.

I'm interested in the business story; one day, one way or another it's going to be a case study in a management class (or a legal one really).

And as much as some may want it to just be a cool gadget whizzbang tech story, Tesla is one of the most topical business stories. I don't really see why talking about the business aspects and business implications of a business in a thread about it's business decisions is apparently a no-go zone?

Oct 25, 2017
I really hope those renders are not what it looks like because woof.

Also using 3 chassis to make a cross-over is par for the course in the auto world right now. Civic & CRV share similar chassis, Legacy & Outback are the same. It's a smart move to bolster their market.

Lots of people want cars without mirrors because it helps with aerodynamics and can add functionality (cameras), but most regulatory bodies aren't into it ATM

Aerodynamics at that point aren't that much of a gain for the general cosnumer though, no? I also don't know how I feel about no mirrors when I experience ditracted, terrible driving all over now. I feel that cameras would serve to be more of a crutch to people when driving.

Commedieu

Banned
Nov 11, 2017

Thank you.

I understand it doesn't have a radiator, but its such a flat fucking spot that needs design. one of many reasons I skipped out on buying a tesla. That and having no money for it...

I mean, why not just have something to divert air to cool brakes or... any sort of design. It just seems so damned weird. Nothiing wrong with a cosmetic grille

MCN

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
United Kingdom
https://www.curbed.com/2018/9/27/17909270/pedestrian-deaths-suv-car-design

With dramatically worse front end visability, higher mass, and higher points of impact, SUVs are far more likely to kill pedestrians, especially children, especially at school.

Despite the single biggest excuse for idiots buying them being the protection of their own child.

Well yeah, protection for their own child, and to hell with everyone else's children.

It's the American way.

captive

Oct 25, 2017
Houston

for those saying the 35k model is somehow reactionary to sales or demand.

as i said originally i strongly suspect that the model Y allows them to order more parts at once, which allows for lower part prices. Which is why the Y is being announced not two weeks after the 35k model 3 was announced.

Argyle

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks for the context, but I'm not entirely sure it changes the dynamic? At the end of the day, there are people who put down $1,000 and may only now get their product, while others didn't have to do this at all, so I honestly don't know why anyone would do that again. But I also don't understand why people pre-order games, so.

I mean, I think I've made clear in previous exchanges with you I'm not a car person, my contribution to a sustainability is walking and mass transit. I don't really know where expectation comes from that people only post in threads to spin things positively, how boring is that. I'll make no bones about that I think Elon Musk, whatever his accomplishments, is a douche, and I hold a low opinion of crazed fans of his, but I reserve my hate for things like Trump and Bradley Cooper. I don't really know why people take critique of a company or it's leadership as some sort of personal affront.

I'm interested in the business story; one day, one way or another it's going to be a case study in a management class (or a legal one really).

And as much as some may want it to just be a cool gadget whizzbang tech story, Tesla is one of the most topical business stories. I don't really see why talking about the business aspects and business implications of a business in a thread about it's business decisions is apparently a no-go zone?

Uhh, yeah it does change the dynamic? I mean, that's why your post was bullshit?

Why did people put deposits down? To get the car early. For months reservation holders were the only people who could order, and thousands of them got their cars before non-reservation holders. All reservation holders got a chance to order before non-reservation holders.

I mean, some people with reservations chose not to order. Did you expect Tesla to halt the production lines because reservation holder #30 decided not to order right away? Did you really think that every single reservation was going to be resolved before any non-reservation holder cars were delivered?

Look, you're free to post whatever, but you are posting misleading bullshit in this thread so...

uncelestial

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
San Francisco, CA, USA
Being 10% bigger than a Model 3 doesn't move the needle too much for me. Kind of a shame because I am having twins (this week!) and was hoping there would be a 7-seater EV out there for us pretty soon.

That Chrysler Pacifica plug-in might have to do.

shinra-bansho

Oct 25, 2017
They chose not to order because the promised affordable product upon which they based their deposit was not available at the expected and stated timeframe. Do you actually think people put down reservations on things expecting to have anybody be able to jump them? Do you really not see how that may make putting down $1000 meaningless?

Argyle

Oct 25, 2017
They chose not to order because the promised affordable product upon which they based their deposit was not available at the expected and stated timeframe. Do you actually think people put down reservations on things expecting to have anybody be able to jump them? Do you really not see how that may make putting down $1000 meaningless?

Do you really not see that a lot of people who put their reservations in got their cars 6+ months early?

bionic77

Oct 25, 2017
The performance for most or all Teslas cars is amazing.

But man the 3 interior and exterior are ugly (for me at least). And I am not a fan of the X exterior, though the interior is nice. I always liked the S and still think it is a great looking car. But since then I have not been a fan of their designs.

I would have assumed the performance was the hard part and making a reasonably good looking car was the easy part.

Argyle

Oct 25, 2017
And a lot of people who put down money for a reservation still do not have their advertised product?

You said it was meaningless, but it clearly wasn't meaningless for thousands of people. We don't even know if it meaningless now because no one has received their SR Model 3, I feel like I have typed this multiple times in this thread but you seem to have trouble understanding my posts.

Feb 1, 2018
Aerodynamics at that point aren't that much of a gain for the general cosnumer though, no? I also don't know how I feel about no mirrors when I experience ditracted, terrible driving all over now. I feel that cameras would serve to be more of a crutch to people when driving.

When it comes to EV's, aero is important because it translates to longer range as the car does less work to cut through the air. Everything counts, even the rims. You want them smaller and flatter.

shinra-bansho

Oct 25, 2017
You said it was meaningless, but it clearly wasn't meaningless for thousands of people. We don't even know if it meaningless now because no one has received their SR Model 3, I feel like I have typed this multiple times in this thread but you seem to have trouble understanding my posts.
Okay, erratum. It was not meaningless for some thousands of people, and it was meaningless for some thousands of others, given as at the time that the no-reservations began being taken some 400k odd deposits were noted in SEC filings based on the Verge article.

I mean, I think I've made it pretty clear why it doesn't seem very meaningful. We seem to have a fundamentally different view on what one should expect when giving money to a company and what makes a reservation deposit actually meaningful.

For you, it means you put down money for two or so years for a product advertised at a given starting price and an expected timeframe. Have it miss that timeframe. Not be available at the stated starting price. And then having other people without having paid this same reservation be able to get the product before you.

For me, it means you're paying to get the product as advertised, before anybody who has not let the company hold your money for two or so years can just jump you. You're free to continue thinking this pretty straightforward interpretation is "bullshit" I guess.

captive

Oct 25, 2017
Houston
Being 10% bigger than a Model 3 doesn't move the needle too much for me. Kind of a shame because I am having twins (this week!) and was hoping there would be a 7-seater EV out there for us pretty soon.

That Chrysler Pacifica plug-in might have to do.
do you have other kids?

my wife really wanted a minivan after we had our second. I guess because "its the thing to do" i really did not want a minivan. It has the third row seats. We've used them 3 or 4 times in 2.5 years. we use the damn thing more like a truck than a minivan with the third row seats down. (even she has admitted to both things)

which is why i really hope the Y has a trailer hitch so we can use that for large amounts of wood, dirt, concrete blocks or whatever instead of the back of a freaking minivan.

Poody

Oct 27, 2017
The performance for most or all Teslas cars is amazing.

But man the 3 interior and exterior are ugly (for me at least). And I am not a fan of the X exterior, though the interior is nice. I always liked the S and still think it is a great looking car. But since then I have not been a fan of their designs.

I would have assumed the performance was the hard part and making a reasonably good looking car was the easy part.

The opposite is true for me. I like the exterior of the X, sans the rear clear lights. The interior feels uninspired and imo took simplicity in the wrong direction.

I have a friend who owns an X, and he was an early adaptor. I can't say if the newer model uses the same material but when I jumped in his, and probed around, the materials used such as the center console felt very cheap, especially the glove box. Now keep in mind, I'm a Porsche owner, and the build quality in their vehicles are top notch.

bionic77

Oct 25, 2017
The opposite is true for me. I like the exterior of the X, sans the rear clear lights. The interior feels uninspired and imo took simplicity in the wrong direction.

I have a friend who owns an X, and he was an early adaptor. I can't say if the newer model uses the same material but when I jumped in his, and probed around, the materials used such as the center console felt very cheap, especially the glove box. Now keep in mind, I'm a Porsche owner, and the build quality in their vehicles are top notch.
Yeah it is definitely not up to par with high end luxury cars. And the build quality in the few I have sat in was not the best.

I personally just don't think their recent cars look good. If you didn't see the brand on it the new 3 looks like a cheap Mazda. Hopefully the Y turns that around.

captive

Oct 25, 2017
Houston
Yeah it is definitely not up to par with high end luxury cars. And the build quality in the few I have sat in was not the best.

I personally just don't think their recent cars look good. If you didn't see the brand on it the new 3 looks like a cheap Mazda. Hopefully the Y turns that around.
It looks nothing like a Mazda... The front of the 3 actually looks like the front of a Porsche.
And the Mazdas I just looked up look pretty good.

bionic77

Oct 25, 2017
It looks nothing like a Mazda... The front of the 3 actually looks like the front of a Porsche.
And the Mazdas I just looked up look pretty good.
Maybe to you. Looking at the 3 I see Mazda.

It looks nothing like a Porsche to me.

Obviously in acdeelararion the high end 3 blows the doors off a Porsche and most cars but the new Tesla's are ugly (for me).

I still love the way the S looks.

Poody

Oct 27, 2017

It looks nothing like a Porsche to me.

Obviously in acdeelararion the high end 3 blows the doors off a Porsche and most cars but the new Tesla's are ugly (for me).

I still love the way the S looks.

EV's will beat supercars off the line. We're talking instant power vs power curve. I want to actually see how a Tesla fairs on the Nurburgring or any track for that matter against vehicles in it's class. That would be the interesting battle

Minx

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Illinois
Americans fucking love crossovers, so this thing will probably sell more and sell faster than the Model 3 which was already pretty unprecedented for a compact luxury sedan.

The Hyundai Kona electric crossover is in such high demand right now that dealers are scalping them for $8k+ above MSRP.
Wow this is shocking. The Kona isn't even a SUV. It's a car!

Feb 1, 2018
Wow this is shocking. The Kona isn't even a SUV. It's a car!

It also doesn't have automatic regen which is bizarre. You have to hold down a paddle every time to activate it. Babby's first EV

One-pedal driving is a major strength of these types of cars, it greatly increases brake life (and saves you $$$ on maintenance).

Same designer(s) IIRC.

Argyle

Oct 25, 2017
Okay, erratum. It was not meaningless for some thousands of people, and it was meaningless for some thousands of others, given as at the time that the no-reservations began being taken some 400k odd deposits were noted in SEC filings based on the Verge article..

Good, I'm glad we can agree that your post was factually incorrect then. I'm still confused though, were you actually expecting them to stop making cars if they still had reservations but no more orders?

I mean, I think I've made it pretty clear why it doesn't seem very meaningful. We seem to have a fundamentally different view on what one should expect when giving money to a company and what makes a reservation deposit actually meaningful.

For you, it means you put down money for two or so years for a product advertised at a given starting price and an expected timeframe. Have it miss that timeframe. Not be available at the stated starting price. And then having other people without having paid this same reservation be able to get the product before you.

For me, it means you're paying to get the product as advertised, before anybody who has not let the company hold your money for two or so years can just jump you. You're free to continue thinking this pretty straightforward interpretation is "bullshit" I guess.

Huh, that's interesting. I guess if you are willing to post misleading and false statements, it's not too much more of a stretch to go from that to putting words in people's mouths and misrepresenting their position.

My position is pretty simple. 1-2 years is a long time to wait and a lot of things can happen, both on their end and on your end, that would influence whether or not you will end up buying the car in the end. Since it is non-binding and refundable, if you want to have the best chance of having it work out for you and you can afford to lose the opportunity cost of your $1000 deposit in the meantime, then it makes sense to put the deposit down in hopes that you will be invited to configure early enough that the timing works out (for example, some people might have a lease ending so they would want to be invited sometime before then). If it ends up "meaningless" then you just get your $1000 back, but there's also a chance that this would allow you to buy the car at the right time for you. Also, honestly it shouldn't have been a surprise that the more expensive configurations were the first offered as that is pretty much how it has been for every car that Tesla has ever launched.

Like I've said for what, the third time now in this thread? We don't even know if the reservations are actually meaningless now.

I mean, someone posted this leaked transcript of the conference call with the press where Elon announced the standard range Model 3 in another thread: https://www.dropbox.com/s/39ncy19q7t2id1r/Tesla Call Transcript (2.28.19).pdf?dl=0

In the transcript, a journalist asks Elon about any remaining reservation holders and he said this:

Oh so that's good point actually [inaudible]. We Were first making sure that anyone who placed a reservation early absolutely has priority so any any early reservation holders will absolutely get priority as they should for the $35,000 Model 3 for sure.

Another journalist asks how long it would take for someone to receive a standard range Model 3 and his response is this:

Well the priority is for longtime reservation holders so we would first need to assess how many of the long term reservation holders want the $35,000 car. So it really depends on on that on that and obviously this news has been embargoed until now so we first need to assess how many of the reservation holders wish to buy that car. They will get priority and then it will be new new orders. But I do. But I should say that it is very likely that someone who orders will get the car in the US by the end of June, let's say - before the before the next tax credit cliff.

So Elon says that they will take reservations into account. I'm guessing you either don't take him at his word or you don't even bother to read the links you post, but I guess we'll see how it plays out when the first standard range cars are delivered.

Last edited: