• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

shinra-bansho

Oct 25, 2017
Good, I'm glad we can agree that your post was factually incorrect then. I'm still confused though, were you actually expecting them to stop making cars if they still had reservations but no more orders?
I mean we're agreeing that for some thousands of people it was meaningless, so okay I guess. I think I've made it pretty clear, if I put down money for a product as advertised, I'd expect you to make that product and get it to me before you let other people get it? Otherwise you shouldn't be taking said money to begin with under a false pretense that it will do so.
I'm really not sure why this is somehow complicated.
I'm guessing you either don't take him at his word or you don't even bother to read the links you post, but I guess we'll see how it plays out when the first standard range cars are delivered.
I don't take anything Elon Musk says at face value, no. Why would anyone?
Your more verbose elaboration is that people who put down money were actually just gambling that things would work out, and if they didn't well they can get their money back after giving it the company to hold and use for two years, once the company no longer requires these deposits to try and purchase the product. And therefore reservations/deposits are actually meaningful. So essentially, your argument is that it's meaningful because it gives you a better shot, like buying a $1,000 lottery ticket, because you don't really need the money anyway. Okay then.
I don't really understand the mentality, but you're welcome to your interpretation. I'll stick with mine.

Argyle

Oct 25, 2017
I mean we're agreeing that for some thousands of people it was meaningless, so okay I guess. I think I've made it pretty clear, if I put down money for a product as advertised, I'd expect you to make that product and get it to me before you let other people get it? Otherwise you shouldn't be taking said money to begin with under a false pretense that it will do so.
I'm really not sure why this is somehow complicated.

All the reservation holders were invited to configure before they opened up orders to everyone. If those reservation holders chose not to configure then they shouldn't have opened up orders to everyone?

I mean Elon Musk is pretty crazy but I mean you would have bankrupted Tesla last year lol

I don't take anything Elon Musk says at face value, no. Why would anyone?
Your more verbose elaboration is that people who put down money were actually just gambling that things would work out, and if they didn't well they can get their money back after giving it the company to hold and use for two years, once the company no longer requires these deposits to try and purchase the product. And therefore reservations/deposits are actually meaningful. So essentially, your argument is that it's meaningful because it gives you a better shot, like buying a $1,000 lottery ticket, because you don't really need the money anyway. Okay then.
I don't really understand the mentality, but you're welcome to your interpretation. I'll stick with mine.

Literally all we have is his word at this point since (sigh) no one has received a standard range Model 3 yet. I mean I've been very careful to hedge in my language because unlike you I don't presume to know what will happen, but all the other times they added new configurations they've done right by reservation holders from what I can tell (my father ordered one in the wave right before they opened it up to everyone and I think he got one of the first AWD models to be delivered here).

Honestly you're kinda like that other guy, it almost seems like this is a religious thing for you.

shinra-bansho

Oct 25, 2017
All the reservation holders were invited to configure before they opened up orders to everyone. If those reservation holders chose not to configure then they shouldn't have opened up orders to everyone?

I mean Elon Musk is pretty crazy but I mean you would have bankrupted Tesla last year lol
No? I mean ultimately I don't think they should have been taking money from people to begin with, on the premise that they would be getting them the affordable car they were advertising starting at $35K with all these incentives and bells and whistles. And that came to a head when they needed to open up orders to anyone that wanted one, while these other people had to keep on waiting. You could be entirely right, and $1000 is nothing to those people and they're more than happy for it to sit with the company, even if it doesn't ultimately benefit them.

My initial comment that was apparently upsetting was really about what the implications would be of these past actions, should they try to replicate this tactic on a new product?

If they had opened up these reservations asking for $1000 in 2016 and said, but actually, the starting price model you're putting a reservation on won't be available for 3 years, and in 2 years time we'll probably just let anyone order one if they're willing to pay more money than you... would as many of these same hundreds of thousands of people have put down money?

Will similar amounts of people do so now if they do that for a new product line?

I think that will be interesting - not this relatively boring semantic discussion over what the meaning of meaning is.
Maybe people will still rush out and say shut up and take my money. Maybe they won't.

Literally all we have is his word at this point since (sigh) no one has received a standard range Model 3 yet. I mean I've been very careful to hedge in my language because unlike you I don't presume to know what will happen, but all the other times they added new configurations they've done right by reservation holders from what I can tell (my father ordered one in the wave right before they opened it up to everyone and I think he got one of the first AWD models to be delivered here).

Honestly you're kinda like that other guy, it almost seems like this is a religious thing for you.
I honestly enjoy the back and forth for the most part. That's the fun of forums?

dr.rocktopus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I don't think a crossover built on Model 3 bones is anything wrong. Many existing crossovers do the same thing (i.e.: Civic and CR-V, Mazda 3 and CX-5, Elantra and Tuscon, etc.). Just a matter of what body style works per person. Given America's propensity for crossovers I think this is a good idea.

Ryno23

Banned
Dec 13, 2017
Tesla put out a new teaser image. Looks like it probably has the huge panoramic windshield like the Model X
model-y-jpg.384465

tshirtblue

Oct 27, 2017
Nice, I'm actually near Hawthorne right now. Is the event open to the public? Any way I could get a ticket?

EDIT: Oh, after doing some research, I guess it's pretty hard. I believe Tesla sends out invites based on past purchases and referrals you've made.

Last edited:

gcubed

Oct 25, 2017
as long as its not as god awful ugly as the X, it will be tempting. Not sure how they can do such a good job on the S and 3 and put out such an ugly ass X

laminated

Oct 28, 2017
I hope it doesn't resemble the X too much. It'd look like a mini-mini-van. Mini ugly is still ugly.

Feb 1, 2018
I hope it doesn't resemble the X too much. It'd look like a mini-mini-van. Mini ugly is still ugly.

Yeah I don't like the X shape either, it comes off as very bloated and in certain colors (silver, dark grey) the car has a dated late-00's GM SUV look to it.

Y is going to sell like crazy though. Americans are so thirsty for CUV's. The AWD option will also be popular in snowpocalypse regions.

laminated

Oct 28, 2017
Yeah I don't like the X shape either, it comes off as very bloated and in certain colors (silver, dark grey) the car has a dated late-00's GM SUV look to it.

Y is going to sell like crazy though. Americans are so thirsty for CUV's. The AWD option will also be popular in snowpocalypse regions.

If they can nail the look and have it be as car camping friendly as the S, yeah it will be a big hit. I'd definitely be interested.

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Model S needs a body refresh. Even if it's just headlights. The 3 and the S suffer the Audi and Mercedes range problem of sameness but like those cars it's good if you have the low end model and they're all pretty.

The X though is brutal.

It looks like it's a Model S that ate a forbidden Wonka candy or had a peanut allergy. The Gullwing doors are the final affront. Like putting an elevator in an outhouse.

And yeah like another poster suggested - there's an aura of Aztek and PT Cruiser about it.

Feb 1, 2018
The Model S needs a body refresh. Even if it's just headlights.

It got a facelift for 2015-2016 (much needed, the black oval grille was soooo 2011), and the LED headlights get updated often, if you look at the newest models they're pretty nice.

If they can nail the look and have it be as car camping friendly as the S, yeah it will be a big hit. I'd definitely be interested.

I'd say it'd be pretty camping friendly due to the hatchback design. You can throw a small mattress back there.

laminated

Oct 28, 2017
It got a facelift for 2015-2016 (much needed, the black oval grille was soooo 2011), and the LED headlights get updated often, if you look at the newest models they're pretty nice.

I'd say it'd be pretty camping friendly due to the hatchback design. You can throw a small mattress back there.

Sweet I didn't know a hatchback design was confirmed!!

Poody

Oct 27, 2017
The current front grille of the Model S and X look sleek and functional for an EV. In fact concept cars from other manufacturers tends to hint at this direction I.e squinted fish eye look moving forward. Tesla's so far ahead of the 8ball

Besides technological improvements, Tesla really needs to refresh the rear lights of their cars. The clear Civic lights do not look pleasing

Last edited:

Reinhard

Oct 27, 2017
What's the expected price range? If above 50, then out of range my mom wants to pay.. I'm not into crossovers at all, I only go sedan or modern muscle, but I'm still interested in what it looks like.

Dingens

Circumventing ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Same. Their only function is to have the driver sit higher but they kill three times as many people.

not to mention... waste energy and resources.
an EV SUV or CUV is like fucking for virginty... the exact opposite of what it should be.
Pick-ups should also get banned, by far the most useless category of cars there is.

Who is worse, fans and advocates of zero emissions transportation and what this company is achieving accelerating the entire industry to this goal, making the world a healthier cleaner better place. Or people that go all over the internet spreading doom and gloom and lots of BS and shitting up every single freaking thread because they are actively rooting for said company to go bankrupt and stand to gain from it financially? The former have good intentions, the latter are complete physcopaths.

besides sounding like the copy and paste from Tesla's PR machine... if you and your collogues were truly advocating for "zero emissions transportation", you wouldn't be shilling for a fucking car company but instead for trains, trams and other forms of public transport.
Not to mention, there are still vastly better options for individual transport, EVs that don't weigh 2+ tons like the Renault Twizy.

Ryno23

Banned
Dec 13, 2017
not to mention... waste energy and resources.
an EV SUV or CUV is like fucking for virginty... the exact opposite of what it should be.
Pick-ups should also get banned, by far the most useless category of cars there is.

besides sounding like the copy and paste from Tesla's PR machine... if you and your collogues were truly advocating for "zero emissions transportation", you wouldn't be shilling for a fucking car company but instead for trains, trams and other forms of public transport.
Not to mention, there are still vastly better options for individual transport, EVs that don't weigh 2+ tons like the Renault Twizy.

I hate to break it to you but the world runs on cars and trucks and nothing is going to change that. Maybe if you weren't so obsessed with hating Elon Musk, you would understand that all you are accomplishing posting crap like this around the internet is making damn sure the status quo remains. That status quo is 1/3 of the carbon in atmosphere is caused by transportation and 4 million people die every year due to vehicle emissions and countless others suffer...congratulations. Public transport and trains etc are a wonderful great thing...but not everyone lives in citys and that is not the world we live in and never will be and you know it, don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good. Tesla is leading the push to have every single car, truck, and semi on the road all electric and powered by solar... That would be a great thing for the world that is realistic and can happen relatively soon... Why do people like you seem to want to do everything in your power to stop it?

Poody

Oct 27, 2017
Both the model X and Y have a high arching roofline to counter their all glass roof and minimal A/B pillar design. Why people even bitching about this?

laminated

Oct 28, 2017
The covered Y in the teaser footage reminds me of a bigger Honda CRX. Maybe it's just nostalgia but I liked that car back then, which is probably why I'm excited for what they're going to reveal.

laminated

Oct 28, 2017
Did anyone get a link to the livestream? I'm still waiting on my livestream invite email.

Whoops nevermind. . I thought the unveiling was at 8 EST. Also got the link.

Last edited: