• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 27, 2017
I can't believe after two years Nintendo still aren't called out by the mainstream (gaming) media over their shitty pro controller d-pad (and joy con drifting, but that's another topic). The pro controller is a premium product and this should really get fixed properly.

So I thought I'd check the options on Tetris 99, and as you can see, it recommends high sensitivity for the joy con d-pad:

20190416-123740.jpg

But low sensitivity for the pro controller d-pad:

20190416-123756.jpg

Funny that when I played Tetris on the Wii with the classic controller, not once did I accidentally hard drop. When games have to start adjusting for it, Nintendo surely must be aware?

Last edited:

Kewlmyc

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I just got the Xenoblade 2 pro controller. I heard that and the newer model of controllers fix the bad d-pad. Is that true?

Jan 2, 2018
I can't believe after two years Nintendo still aren't called out by the mainstream media over their shitty pro controller d-pad (and joy con drifting, but that's another topic). The pro controller is a premium product and this should really get fixed properly.

It's not suprising. The PS4 controller, it's mediocre built quality, low battery life and stupid LED light also isn't called out by mainstream media (as far as I'm aware). Most people don't care I think. And I don't mean this as "system wars". Both Switch and PS4 controller have problems that aren't really adressed. (I can't speak for the Xbox One controller, never used it.)

b00_thegh0st

Nov 6, 2017
I can't believe after two years Nintendo still aren't called out by the mainstream (gaming) media over their shitty pro controller d-pad (and joy con drifting, but that's another topic). The pro controller is a premium product and this should really get fixed properly.

So I thought I'd check the options on Tetris 99, and as you can see, it recommends high sensitivity for the joy con d-pad:

20190416-123740.jpg

But low sensitivity for the pro controller d-pad:

20190416-123756.jpg

Funny that when I played Tetris on the Wii with the classic controller, not once did I accidentally hard drop. When games have to start adjusting for it, Nintendo surely must be aware?

I just sold my pro controller last week. Two Joycons with a grip are a more competent input method despite the lack of a true d-pad. Now I just wish 8bitdo products had HD rumble. Very disappointed Nintendo botched the pro controller's d-pad of all things.

eXistor

Oct 27, 2017
The Pro controller would be one of, if not the best controller ever if not for the broken d-pad. It really is quite bad.

Mbolibombo

Oct 29, 2017
Confident I've seen this thread already last week or so.

As for Pro Controller, I have a day 1 controller and a Smash Edition PC, they have very different input. I definately have issues (though not too foten) when playing Tetris or Street Fighter on my day 1 controller but not on my Smash one.

Deleted member 36622

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 21, 2017
I can't believe Nintendo went from being the masters of the d-pad to the shittiest one on the market.

Except that the Pro Controller is the most comfortable controller.

Piccoro

Nov 20, 2017
I can't believe after two years Nintendo still aren't called out by the mainstream (gaming) media over their shitty pro controller d-pad
That's because most Switch users use the included joycons only.
You are right though, I would be mad if my 69€ gamepad's d-pad didn't work properly.

I just use this Hori pad, which has an okay-ish d-pad:
41TdALkwmsL.jpg

BlueScrote

Oct 25, 2017
I've been wondering what controller people have been using to play Tetris 99. The Pro controller accidentally hard drops things at least once a game for me. And I'm BAD at Tetris so those games don't last all that long to begin with.

b00_thegh0st

Nov 6, 2017
Confident I've seen this thread already last week or so.

As for Pro Controller, I have a day 1 controller and a Smash Edition PC, they have very different input. I definately have issues (though not too foten) when playing Tetris or Street Fighter on my day 1 controller but not on my Smash one.

I've just googled "smash pro controller dpad" and a lot of results are users explaining nothing was fixed with this version of the pad. Ie, you still get unwanted inputs when you roll your thumb from left to right or vice-versa.

Edit: and it's good to have this post weekly, we need people to stop buying this faulty hardware.

@dedmunk

Banned
Oct 11, 2018
All of the Switch Pro Controller D-Pads are absolutely f****d. I have one of each version and they all have the issue.

DrainedSpirit

Mar 25, 2019
The PS4 controller, it's mediocre built quality, low battery life and stupid LED light also isn't called out by mainstream media (as far as I'm aware).

The huge PS4 LED is there because it is essential to PSVR/PS Camera. Also, it denotes which number each controller is assigned. At least with the v.2 Sony made it possible to see the light when holding the controller normally. Battery is still crappy unfortunately.

Deleted member 20852

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I only ever play Tetris 99 in handheld mode (with the Hori d-pad Joy-Con) because of the accidental hard drops with the pro controller. It's not that big a deal since this game doesn't exactly require a high resolution display to be enjoyed.

But yes, the D-pad is very bad.

Mbolibombo

Oct 29, 2017
I've just googled "smash pro controller dpad" and a lot of results are users explaining nothing was fixed with this version of the pad. Ie, you still get unwanted inputs when you roll your thumb from left to right or vice-versa.

Edit: and it's good to have this post weekly, we need people to stop buying this faulty hardware.

Cool that you googled it and all, but as I mentioned I have no issues with my Smash one, as opposed to my day 1.

sibarraz

Prophet of Regret - One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
If I want to play with a D-PAD, which is the best third party controller?

Oct 29, 2017
That is absolutely embarrasing that they had to include that as an option...

What a disaster! How does this even happen!? Nintendo usually make amazing d-pads!

Coztoomba

Oct 28, 2017
I have the Smash + Splatoon + launch day regular Pro Controller. My newer ones are no better at all. Fundamentally flawed design.

Coztoomba

Oct 28, 2017
Also the best way to play is your JoyCon. It's sad you have to, but no diagonal is needed and the seperate buttons are perfect for Tetris imo.

VariantX

Oct 25, 2017
Columbia, SC
The huge PS4 LED is there because it is essential to PSVR/PS Camera. Also, it denotes which number each controller is assigned. At least with the v.2 Sony made it possible to see the light when holding the controller normally. Battery is still crappy unfortunately.

Supposedly its not the LED but the touch pad that is the source of the battery drain. The LED is annoying and the user should have the right to turn it off if they're not using either of those devices that need the LED light.

VodkaFX

May 31, 2018
I've been wondering what controller people have been using to play Tetris 99. The Pro controller accidentally hard drops things at least once a game for me. And I'm BAD at Tetris so those games don't last all that long to begin with.
Joycons. I got the same issue with the pro controller accidentally giving hard drops.

Tetris 99 is actually the first game to make me notice the shitty d-pad, its a shame since the rest of the pro controller is pretty much perfect for me in terms of grip / comfort.

Aurongel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
The Switch Pro controller is the only part of the early Switch hype that I feel I got upsold on. It's by far the worst first party controller I've ever used and the benefits of it are basically established features of other controllers. The battery life is perhaps the only saving grace.

It's baffling that they never did a silent hardware revision on it.

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
The shitty d-pad even in revisions is half of the reason I haven't gotten a Pro Controller yet, it really sucks. I don't want to get a third party controller, but maybe I'm gonna have to check more options.

Mistermetz

Jun 17, 2018
The Pro controller would be one of, if not the best controller ever if not for the broken d-pad. It really is quite bad.

And if the HD rumble was stronger(as in the xbone controller for example) in it. It's pretty weak as it is. Out of all vibration/rumble solutions Nintendo put out the original N64 rumble pack is still the best one in my opinion, where you can really feel the impact. Just play StarFox 64 or goldeneye..

eXistor

Oct 27, 2017
And if the HD rumble was stronger(as in the xbone controller for example) in it. It's pretty weak as it is. Out of all vibration/rumble solutions Nintendo put out the original N64 rumble pack is still the best one in my opinion, where you can really feel the impact. Just play StarFox 64 or goldeneye..
I like the softer rumble myself, but I could see that.

godofcookery

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

I have both a launch Pro Controller and Smash Special edition one. Both of course have unintended dpad input issues, Tetriss 99 and the overhead levels in Blaster Master Zero are the places it rears it's head the most among what I have played. It is amazing they haven't fixed it. I should just do that tape mod.

Opa-Opa

Banned
Oct 16, 2018
They're fine, I have two of them for smash (dislike the GameCube one) so I used them a lot for other games too.

I swear, 99% of the time the words "shitty", "garbage" (an some others like "nightmare fuel") are used on the internet is so "look at me" hyperbole.

Transistor

The Walnut King
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Washington, D.C.
The Switch Pro d-pad is one of the worst d-pads I've ever used. I'm constantly hitting the wrong direction unintentionally. Ripping it open and doing the tape fix helped a bit, but not much.

Why is it so hard for them to put a good d-pad in such an expensive controller?

Oct 25, 2017
New York City
The d-pad is especially annoying in Tetris because of the whole hard drop thing. I always play Tetris with the Joy-Con d-pad because of that, but it's nice to see they made it slightly easier in Tetris 99.

As others have mentioned, new Pro Controllers have a better d-pad than the old ones, but it's still annoying.

The shitty d-pad even in revisions is half of the reason I haven't gotten a Pro Controller yet, it really sucks. I don't want to get a third party controller, but maybe I'm gonna have to check more options.
IMO it's still super worth it. The controller is beyond comfortable, and the vast majority of games don't use the d-pad in any way that would be affected by its poor d-pad. A couple people I showed my Pro Controller to immediately bought one within the week after trying mine, lol.

Mistermetz

Jun 17, 2018
I like the softer rumble myself, but I could see that.

I like the softer rumble in portable mode but when I'm playing on a huge television it doesn't give me an very immersive experience. It just buzzes back and forth(with all titles I tried, golf story, blaster master zero, etc.) very similar to what my Iphone XS does, just weaker. There is nothing HD about it, it should be named SD rumble..

Deleted member 176

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
They're fine, I have two of them for smash (dislike the GameCube one) so I used them a lot for other games too.

I swear, 99% of the time the words "shitty", "garbage" (an some others like "nightmare fuel") are used on the internet is so "look at me" hyperbole.
Wow, they work fine with one of the few switch games that doesn't need the dpad? crazy.

Deleted member 176

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I bought them for smash. Read again, please. And yes, they work perfectly fine for taunts.
The issue people have with the controller is that the dpad is inadequate for precise inputs. None of this matters for Smash at all so mentioning Smash and pretending to not understand the problem makes it seem like you're being purposefully obtuse.

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
IMO it's still super worth it. The controller is beyond comfortable, and the vast majority of games don't use the d-pad in any way that would be affected by its poor d-pad. A couple people I showed my Pro Controller to immediately bought one within the week after trying mine, lol.
I might bite the bullet soon anyway, I've had my Switch for about 4-5 months now and I don't like the joycons that much, but as someone who plays basically docked 95% of the time I am seriously in need of a Pro Controller. Oh well...

Lump

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I remember playing Celeste with the Pro controller and that being my first "wow what the fuck is this" moment with the Pro controller. It's a fine controller for games that don't need to use the D-Pad, but Nintendo really dropped the ball with that D-Pad all the same.

Opa-Opa

Banned
Oct 16, 2018
The issue people have with the controller is that the dpad is inadequate for precise inputs. None of this matters for Smash at all so mentioning Smash and pretending to not understand the problem makes it seem like you're being purposefully obtuse.

Oh my god, I bought them for smash, but I said that they work in Dead Cells, Megaman and while don't have NSMBU on switch (have it on Wii U) I know they would be fine. They're not shitty and that's why there's no media backlash and mobs on the internet streets.

Oct 27, 2017
I've been playing with the charging Joy Con Grip more than the Pro Controller lately, due to the d-pad. It's really bad, thinking of selling or giving away mine.

AkimbOb-omb

Oct 30, 2017
Oh my god, I bought them for smash, but I said that they work in Dead Cells, Megaman and while don't have NSMBU on switch (have it on Wii U) I know they would be fine. They're not shitty and that's why there's no media backlash and mobs on the internet streets.
Now try to get into the top 50 in Tetris 99 with the Pro. We get what you are saying, the pad is worth it for the games that don't use the d-pad heavily or for not so crucial inputs. It is worth it for everyone who wants to play BotW on a TV in my opinion. That's not what this topic is about though.