• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Herb Alpert

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Paris, France
Ok this is a great game.

Too bad my pro controler has the worst d-pad I've ever seen. Can't succeed with all these bad inputs. Pieces instant drop when things get hectic. I'm pissed by this d-pad.

trugs26

Jan 6, 2018
Played three matches today. Really fun!

Though I got ganged up on in two of the matches. I wasn't really sure what to do in those situations. Basically, you're dead with no hope right? Sucks if that's the case because it can feel pretty random when you suddenly get ganged up on. Any advice or defensive techniques I can employ?

Irrotational

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
ADee and Herb Alpert hi there - just to clarify - i wasn't trying to say it was a bad idea or anything. I just couldnt believe someone had actually made a BR tetris game, made it free, and done a stealth launch.

I still can't figure out how 99 people play tetris at once.

Anyway I'm gald it's fun and glad it exists, i just read it as an onion spoof headline for a bit :-)

famikon

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
ベラルーシ
Seems like they're planning to add new modes in future, because in Stats there's too tabs "All" and "Tetris 99". It doesn't make sense make them separate, unless there will be new modes.

Oct 27, 2017
It's definitely not what I expected. I'm not really one for competitive Tetris, but I admit that the concept is pretty cool.

And, hey... At least it's not Tetris Effect. Biggest plus in my book.

Protome

Oct 27, 2017
ADee and Herb Alpert hi there - just to clarify - i wasn't trying to say it was a bad idea or anything. I just couldnt believe someone had actually made a BR tetris game, made it free, and done a stealth launch.

Anyway I'm gald it's fun and glad it exists, i just read it as an onion spoof headline for a bit :-)
Tbf, it's not actually *free* it's free in the way that PS+ games are free as it's included as part of Nintendos' online service.
I agree though it is such a bizarre release.

Oct 26, 2017
dam QisTopTier, was this you?
DzXO6PPVAAIwFsc.jpg:large

Franco_Tech

Oct 30, 2017
This game look like will be very fun. I hope reaches the masses a different battle Royale is always welcome.

Quacktion

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
We have reached the peak. TETRIS ROYALE. I dont know how to feel about this, honestly.

Herb Alpert

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Paris, France

Lol Yeah, I was facepalming when i heard "tetris battle royale" too.
Turns out the game is really great and addictive, but still barebones atm, hopefully new modes will be added.

MadMike

Oct 27, 2017
I played a couple of rounds tonight. Managed to get 3rd in one, but it's just too fast at that point for me. Can't see myself ever hitting first.

Onikage

Feb 21, 2018
This is amazing!

After this it made me think about different kinds off BR!
Imagine a Bomberman BR, or Puyo Puyo BR, or a Street Fighter V Survival BR, Guitar Hero BR, Let's Dance BR, Catherine BR, Super Mario with a moving map BR...!

Onikage

Feb 21, 2018
We really need a giant map battle royale Bomberman...

OMG, it was made for it, they even have the falling blocks shrinking the map, perfect for BR

TripaSeca

Oct 27, 2017
São Paulo
Are you actually getting 4 repeated pieces or blowing off steam because that should be literally impossible with the random bag system. You can never get more than 2 tetrominoes in a row repeated or it isn't guideline compliant.
I Just wrote this after being destroyed by 4 repeated S pieces. Maybe it was a bug.
I also noticed that sometimes it takes way more than 7 rotations to get a piece again.

brainchild

Independent Developer
Verified
Nov 25, 2017
I was so close to winning this one!

Pro tips:

• Switch to 'KOs' mode early in the game to KO easy targets and build your power meter up.

• If you have a lot of targets on your back, switch to 'attackers' mode to fire back (you can reverse more incoming garbage this way).

• Once your power meter is maxed out, switch to 'badges' mode to take out high level threats while they're still vulnerable to many other attackers.

• In the end game, switch back to 'KOs' mode to target the players most likely to get a game over and increase your chances of placing in the top 10

This strategy has been working pretty well for me so far!

nicoga3000

Oct 25, 2017
The thing I need to do is stop playing this like NES Tetris. It seems like the path to success is learning to T-Spin. So...I guess that's what I'll do.

Falus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I was so close to winning this one!

Pro tips:

• Switch to 'KOs' mode early in the game to KO easy targets and build your power meter up.

• If you have a lot of targets on your back, switch to 'attackers' mode to fire back (you can reverse more incoming garbage this way).

• Once your power meter is maxed out, switch to 'badges' mode to take out high level threats while they're still vulnerable to many other attackers.

• In the end game, switch back to 'KOs' mode to target the players most likely to get a game over and increase your chances of placing in the top 10

This strategy has been working pretty well for me so far!

I don't understand this mode thing. How to switch

AzorAhai

Oct 29, 2017
Puyo Puto Tetris GOTY 2017
Tetris Effect GOTY 2018
Tetris 99 GOTY 2019

What new Tetris is going to destroy Cyberpunk next year ?

kubev

Oct 25, 2017
California
Ok this is a great game.

Too bad my pro controler has the worst d-pad I've ever seen. Can't succeed with all these bad inputs. Pieces instant drop when things get hectic. I'm pissed by this d-pad.
Yeah, I didn't even bother trying the Pro Controller with this game. I initially played with the Joy-Con in the grip, but I ended up switching to my Nyko Switch Core Controller and found that it works a lot better for me. If you don't mind a wired controller, then I'd suggest picking one of those up. They're only $30 or so on Amazon.

iag

Oct 27, 2017
This is amazing!

After this it made me think about different kinds off BR!
Imagine a Bomberman BR, or Puyo Puyo BR, or a Street Fighter V Survival BR, Guitar Hero BR, Let's Dance BR, Catherine BR, Super Mario with a moving map BR...!

Mario Royale. 100 players try to beat Pit of Panga. 1 life each player.

giapel

Oct 28, 2017
What's intersting is that it captures a lot of the BR genre characteristics.
You can hide in the crowd in the early stages of the game.
You can get unlucky and die straight away.
You can get lucky and make it to the top 10
You can't win by just being lucky
The last few moments of the game are always frantic
And finally: "just one more game"
All it needs now is a season pass lol

Oct 27, 2017
What would a battle pass give you? Themes? Music?

wiiucollector

Aug 5, 2018
Germany
I'm going to say something shocking, incomprehensible and brand new about Tetris: this game is so, so addictive.

I only wish there could be a single player offline mode. If there is, then feel free to drop an L shaped bolder (made of sponge) on my head.

Highest I've got is 3rd, but been 5th lots and had some quick exists too of course.

Vark

Oct 27, 2017
Played three matches today. Really fun!

Though I got ganged up on in two of the matches. I wasn't really sure what to do in those situations. Basically, you're dead with no hope right? Sucks if that's the case because it can feel pretty random when you suddenly get ganged up on. Any advice or defensive techniques I can employ?

I was getting that too for a while. Eventually I realized it was because I was never really changing my targets. So they weren't either. Keeping a clear board helps. If you can get a line going when more people are attacking you and your board it high you end up doing more 'damage' back to them and they either KO or back off.

CrazyAznKT

Nov 8, 2017
This is the only acceptable Battle Royale.

I've only gotten to #2 twice, but I'll win a game one day... After a bunch of games I finally figured out you can target different parameters. Still need to learn T-spins

DazzlerIE

Oct 25, 2017
Jeez, don't let your pieces pile up too high, as soon as your screen starts flickering red, it's open season on you

trugs26

Jan 6, 2018
I was getting that too for a while. Eventually I realized it was because I was never really changing my targets. So they weren't either. Keeping a clear board helps. If you can get a line going when more people are attacking you and your board it high you end up doing more 'damage' back to them and they either KO or back off.
Right, so early stages might be good to set to random target, then switch to attackers when being ganged up on.

Ehoavash

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Hm read some stuff about this game, apprently it had many other modes and stuff but all removed before launch lol..

Still it's Tetris, always fun anytime ...I just wish I didn't get 40th Everytime

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
We're... kinda paying for it. ;) But you're totally right in that it really does capture the essence of BR. My view of BR is so narrow that I never thought of it applying to games like this, and now that it's here, I'm sure we'll be seeing many more that aren't just third/first person shooters. In the context of Tetris, it works pretty damn perfectly. Hopefully they keep adding things, creating events, etc. to maintain its freshness.

Edit: Just realized this was made by Arika too. Excellent!

Last edited: