• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

wallmeat

Oct 28, 2017
Got the GB theme earlier. It surprisingly only took a few games. I haven't played in a while and the best I did was 2nd. Forgot how addictive this game is though.

diablogg

Oct 31, 2017
Its called Tetris Effect :p

I've played tons of Tetris and never got this effect. (Best I got to was 700k on GBA Tetris)
I have two Pro Controllers, in great condition. When playing Tetris99 my d-pad suddenly jerks up and my blocks just fall down wherever.. makes this game unplayable.

I'd recommend the 8Bitdo SF30 Pro Controller for Tetris on the Switch because the Switch controller has a terrible D-Pad:
https://www.amazon.com/8Bitdo-SF30-Controller-Windows-macOS-Android/dp/B0748S3GXG

Nickerous

Nov 2, 2017
Just remembered today that I can get 3 months of NSO free with my 30 day free prime trial. I started Tetris and got the skin about 50 minutes later. Best finishing place was 13th, though.

Played some NES games and they look like they have the dark filter from the Wii U VC...

Oct 25, 2017
I hope they try out other Tetris game themes like DX or even something branded like Dr Mario. Maybe even switch out for Type B music.

Detail

Dec 30, 2018

I'm almost positive there's a name for that. Didn't they release a VR Tetris game recently that used the term?

I had that happen to me when Elite Beat Agents came out, I could see the shrinking rings when I closed my eyes and I'd wake up in the middle of the night thinking I was hearing people cry out for help. I loved that game but I played it... too much

Its called Tetris Effect :p

It means you're in the zone!

When I was a kid I played so much Tetris on GB that I would play in my imagination, make mistakes and fix them. My crowning achievement was beating Type B 9-5 heart.

Can't wait till lunch so I can try this Tetris 99 thing.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tetris_effect

giphy.gif

I have mental health issues and was legit freaking out that I was losing my mind or something haha.

Glad to know this isn't exclusive to me and that I am still sane lol.

Still haven't won a game yet though, best I have done is 12th place, played about 6 hours so far.

lupinko

Oct 26, 2017
I got it and used my free trial to get online.

I like the GB theme in Tetris Effect better though. I think Mizuguchi outdid Nishitani And Nintendo on this one.

Morisaki

Oct 29, 2017
This finally got me to try out Tetris 99. I am definitely not used to the speed when there's only 10 players left. The best I got was 4th once and 10th once in the 8 games I played to get the theme. And both times I was misplacing tetraminos left and right once that speed hit.

Deleted member 4247

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Got the GB theme, was easy. But as cool as it was initially, I think I won't be using it after the event ends. It's just not as visually clear or "fun" as the modern theme with colored bricks. But I hope they make more of them!

Shaneus

Oct 27, 2017
Got the GB theme, was easy. But as cool as it was initially, I think I won't be using it after the event ends. It's just not as visually clear or "fun" as the modern theme with colored bricks. But I hope they make more of them!
Agreed. Is it possible to go to the normal skin while this event goes on though? I changed it under "customise" but when I start a new MP game it goes back to the GB one.

AlexFlame116

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Utah
Keep losing around the 80s to 60s and one time at the 20s but I finally got it! I really like the GB theme lol.

Mistouze

Oct 26, 2017
The skin is such a trip for someone that got a GB with Tetris as a pack in back at launch. The sound effect for when you do a tetris is such a punch in the feels.

Shit, that was 30 years ago.

Brend

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Scotland
Managing to come third during this event is a particular highlight for me given the skill of those playing. It's just a bit sad that when you're left 1 v 1 v 1 with two other players who are probably absolute aliens that you don't stand a chance.

Give us an Effect theme next with Yours Forever and I'll never need another Tetris game again.

Detail

Dec 30, 2018
Best I have done after about 15 hours of playtime is 9th place.

It gets brutal, I was even on the bottom line going into 10th place but then got utterly wiped out because 4 people targeted me at once lol.

mclem

Oct 25, 2017
This finally got me to try out Tetris 99. I am definitely not used to the speed when there's only 10 players left. The best I got was 4th once and 10th once in the 8 games I played to get the theme. And both times I was misplacing tetraminos left and right once that speed hit.

The thing that always, *always* ruins me when I'm on a good run is when it gets to high speed and I press the instadrop button a fraction of a second too late... so it's cycled onto the next piece.

I really need to get out of the habit of instadropping each piece at that stage!

joesiv

Banned
Feb 9, 2018
The thing that always, *always* ruins me when I'm on a good run is when it gets to high speed and I press the instadrop button a fraction of a second too late... so it's cycled onto the next piece.

I really need to get out of the habit of instadropping each piece at that stage!
See my main problem is instadropping by accident, I'll instadrop every piece, but sometimes I'll accidentally do a second tap, lol, it's hard to dig yourself out sometimes when everyones hammering you. Feels good when you do though!

I guess I didn't really know what this DLC and how the classic GB skin worked, but when I got awarded it, it appears like it was just the background image that changed to the origional GB tetris box art image. I guess it was the event that was using the glassic GB graphics/sounds? I guess I'll be able to keep that and use it after the event?

I might have to give Tetris Effect a go though too...

Billy Awesomo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
New York, New York
I enjoy this game way too much. I find the best way to play this game is in handheld mode, especially since you can tap who you want to target. (which you can't do that in docked mode)

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
4FnJPxrl.jpg

The best I was able to do. Have only gotten in the top 3 a handful of times, with only 1 top finish ever, which was near/around launch week. Great game to come back to every now and again! And I'm glad marathon mode is in there for more 'relaxing'/standard Tetris play.

Easy_G

Dec 11, 2017
California
I've put in maybe 40 hours at this point and have gotten 2nd around a dozen times, but I still can't get 1st. Will it ever happen? It seems like the jump in skill from 2 to 1 is another order of magnitude.

BGBW

Oct 25, 2017
I've put in maybe 40 hours at this point and have gotten 2nd around a dozen times, but I still can't get 1st. Will it ever happen? It seems like the jump in skill from 2 to 1 is another order of magnitude.
My recent win was down to luck mostly. I was simply focusing on staying alive rather than getting decent lines, but the stars aligned and all my garbage blocks were a perfect funnel in the middle so I just had to wait for some line pieces to get three Tetrises one after another.

Shaneus

Oct 27, 2017
I might have to give Tetris Effect a go though too...
I only finished it last night, just on normal mode and struggled a little bit (I'm generally shit at Tetris, except for my few techniques which I refuse to branch out from) but it's SO worth it. I'll definitely be playing through it again.

PS. When it says headphones are recommended, believe them. It amplifies the experience tenfold.

Brofield

Oct 25, 2017
Played it from midnight to 1am EST until it ended. Now I got two songs.

But yeah Nintendo needs to add more. Track 2 from the NES game was and still is my J A M

Billy Awesomo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
New York, New York
I need to get better at this game I've poured over 100 hours and like 1000 games with only 100 wins :/ , That is not a good K/D Ratio anyway I look at it. Sometimes I wish the game would keep track of how many times you've come in like 2nd or 3rd place.