• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 25, 2017

• CPU Battle – Play Tetris 99 offline against 98 CPU players.
  • Marathon – Challenge yourself in this offline mode to clear the most lines and score big.
Second DLC pack (included with this purchase) with more game modes coming at a later date! These modes are playable completely offline and NSO subscription is not required to purchase or play this DLC.

Also, the 3rd MAXIMUS CUP runs from 12 a.m. PT on May 17 to 11:59 p.m. PT on May 19. The higher that players place at the end of each match, the more event points they earn. Any participants who earn 100 event points during the three-day period will unlock an in-game theme inspired by the original Game Boy™ game.

American Point Distribution:
1st = 100
2nd = 50
3rd = 30
4th - 10th = 20
11th - 30th = 10
31st - 50th = 5
51st - 80th = 2
81st - 99th = 0

European Point Distribution:
1st = 100
2nd = 50
3rd = 30
4th - 10th = 20
11th - 30th = 10
31st - 50th = 7
51st - 90th = 4
91st - 99th = 1

Game Boy theme:

00001573_02.png

Last edited:

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
Considering the game was free I'm honestly surprised this costs something. Am I crazy?

RestEerie

Banned
Aug 20, 2018
So how does this works? If im not subscribed to nintendo online, can i just buy this dlc and start the game?

The main tetris 99 game cant be started without a nintendo online subscription.

JershJopstin

Oct 25, 2017
You need to be subbed to have the privilege of buying the dlc?
I don't believe that's the case, but it's hard for me to verify. I might create another account to check if no one else does.

Edit: scratch that, two posts above me seems to indicate that yes, you need to be subscribed.

Second edit: Actually, you can start up the game without a sub, it's just the online mode that you can't do. I don't have the DLC to verify that the offline modes work.

WestEgg

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I already have Puyo Puyo Tetris so not really worth it just for regular Tetris. But I'd probably get it otherwise.

Zubz

Oct 25, 2017
no
It does sound like a waste of money... But I am a sucker for Marathon Mode.

delete12345

One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Boston, MA
So how does this works? If im not subscribed to nintendo online, can i just buy this dlc and start the game?

The main mode is locked to online, but I don't know about DLC and offline modes though.... I'm still on subscription, so I can't test its full offline mode.

For 98 CPUs, this is great for practicing.

PCfromNYC

Oct 25, 2017
There's also gonna be a third Maximus Cup where netting 100 points gets you a Game Boy-inspired theme.

Renna Hazel

Oct 27, 2017
Where are you all getting the idea that you need a sub to play offline? Why do people here just make things up?

delete12345

One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Boston, MA
To everyone, only the main game is online only, the rest are offline mode for $9.99, basically reverse game release + DLC.

If this is a full game, you're basically playing DLC (99 Players), then you're playing the rest (Big Block full game).

KillstealWolf

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Wait, so you need NSO to download Tetris 99 and then purchase this? You can't just purchase the offline stuff?

Plum

May 31, 2018
Those Twitter comments (and the inevitable comments like it on here) are a good example of just how many people have literally no clue when it comes to business.

An offline mode for Tetris 99 (especially one which included the regular Marathon mode) would never happen without it being paid because it would remove any incentive for people to buy other Tetris titles.

But anyway, I've been wanting just regular Tetris on Switch for a while now and didn't really want to buy Puyo Puyo Tetris so I got this immediately. Looking forward to what they add in the second pack.

rpm

Into the Woods
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Parts Unknown
So can anyone without an NSO sub confirm that without an NSO sub you're still able to play these two (+ more once added) modes, just not the regular online mode?

WestEgg

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

Sub online for the privilege to pay for offline modes!
I've heard of a paywall for online gameplay, but offline? Lol
so if you don't have NSO can you not play the offline stuff?
So you have to pay an online subscription to buy an offline mode? That's quite something.

It says you don't need NSO right in the OP
These modes are playable completely offline and NSO subscription is not required.

Ginger Hail

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Probably won't bite on the DLC since I can get my offline Tetris fix elsewhere, but I'm definitely going to have to cop that GB skin.

WestEgg

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
If the Gameboy skin gives you the original Gameboy music, that would be amazing.