• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Giga Man

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
OK, guys. I really need to know this before I drop a 20 on Switch's online. What controllers are you using and how do they fair? The Pro Controller is unbearable for 2D movement which I first discovered in Puyo Puyo Tetris. So many mistakes happened because of unintentional inputs on the D-Pad. I tried using the Joy-Con Grip and even the Pokken fight pad, but none of these options were comfortable for me. I need recommendations.

EDIT: I play exclusively in TV mode, so that HORI D-Pad I heard about won't cut it.

Last edited:

Skel1ingt0n

Oct 28, 2017
So I just watched a few streams and I'm confused.

Like... not exaggerating, at least a third of my games I'm starting with AT LEAST five people targeting me. Oftentimes 7 or 8. Am I doing something wrong? Is that just shitty luck? Watching the streams, it seems like this isn't common. But after 30+ games, it's common for me.

I still really don't understand any of the damage models or when and why I should target a certain group. I had three wins early on. But now I struggle to break too 20.

Havok

Oct 27, 2017
Northern VA
OK, guys. I really need to know this before I drop a 20 on Switch's online. What controllers are you using and how do they fair? The Pro Controller is unbearable for 2D movement which I first discovered in Puyo Puyo Tetris. So many mistakes happened because of unintentional inputs on the D-Pad. I tried using the Joy-Con Grip and even the Pokken fight pad, but none of these options were comfortable for me. I need recommendations.

EDIT: I play exclusively in TV mode, so that HORI D-Pad I heard about won't cut it.

Get one of those 8Bitdo adapters and use whatever controller you want.

Mirage

Oct 25, 2017
Getting matched against wumbo in this game is like being matched against shroud in apex :p
He actually holds the joy-cons in opposite hands, I think it's due to being used to playing on pc with arrow keys etc.
Puyo Puyo Tetris also has more control options and one of them lets you move with the buttons and rotate with the dpad which Wumbo is used to as well as keyboard.

Kindekuma

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I gotta stop making panic drops in the final 10. The music gets me. Been nothing but in top 5 all day but no wins.

Feb 8, 2019
I will use this thread to voice my frustration. Game journalists are fucking useless. Has any one of them ever asked Nintendo about the atrocious Pro Controller dpads? This game is really frustrating with that dpad, and I am reminded just how much I despise gaming journalism right now. If anyone has ever wrote an article and actually hounded after Nintendo about this, please let me know so that I can shower them with praise.

Sixfortyfive

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Atlanta
Just experienced a weird targeting bug where it was down to me and 1 other player, but my targeting was stuck on an already KO'd opponent. After I sent about 10 Tetrises in a row without the other player dying or any garbage being returned to me, I thought something was up, looked more closely at the opponents, and retargeted the remaining player in order to end the match.

ZangBa

Oct 25, 2017
Out of 44 games the best I could do is 20th place. I guess I suck at Tetris about as much as the other BR games.

Oct 29, 2017
I will use this thread to voice my frustration. Game journalists are fucking useless. Has any one of them ever asked Nintendo about the atrocious Pro Controller dpads? This game is really frustrating with that dpad, and I am reminded just how much I despise gaming journalism right now. If anyone has ever wrote an article and actually hounded after Nintendo about this, please let me know so that I can shower them with praise.
I don't think they cover Nintendo at all to notice.

ghostemoji

Oct 27, 2017
I feel like every time I start a game now I immediately have 12 people targeting me and I get bounced in under 60 seconds. It's not fun anymore.

I only ever got a 2nd place finish. :(

Rover

Oct 25, 2017
This game is pretty fucking good.

Learned what the badges do and this game went from "neat" to "best Tetris"

JusDoIt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
South Central Los Angeles
5 hours in. Haven't placed higher than 9th. Most of my good games land in the mid teens. I'm a mediocre player, but I am hardcore addicted.

Tetris is the actual best game.

JJConrad

Nov 3, 2017
This game is too intense. I love it, but my wife watches me play and is completely confused by how fast it gets.

Changes I'd like to see:
- A casual mode
- The option for Harddrop to be mapped to a shoulder button.
- More fanfare for winning, placing Top 3 and Top 10.
- In-game tutorial

So I just watched a few streams and I'm confused.

Like... not exaggerating, at least a third of my games I'm starting with AT LEAST five people targeting me. Oftentimes 7 or 8. Am I doing something wrong? Is that just shitty luck? Watching the streams, it seems like this isn't common. But after 30+ games, it's common for me.

I still really don't understand any of the damage models or when and why I should target a certain group. I had three wins early on. But now I struggle to break too 20.
Random targets anyone at random, KO targets a person with a higher stack (your weaker players), Badge targets those with the most badges (your stronger players), and Attackers targets those targeting you.

I've gotten targeted early several times myself. I've found targeting my attackers, then making a series of small lines and then switching my target back to random will chase/shake them off. This Hit & Run approach has been rather effective for me in staying off the radar in general.

Skel1ingt0n

Oct 28, 2017
This game is too intense. I love it, but my wife watches me play and is completely confused by how fast it gets.

Changes I'd like to see:
- A casual mode
- The option for Harddrop to be mapped to a shoulder button.
- More fanfare for winning, placing Top 3 and Top 10.
- In-game tutorial

Random targets anyone at random, KO targets a person with a higher stack (your weaker players), Badge targets those with the most badges (your stronger players), and Attackers targets those targeting you.

I've gotten targeted early several times myself. I've found targeting my attackers, then making a series of small lines and then switching my target back to random will chase/shake them off. This Hit & Run approach has been rather effective for me in staying off the radar in general.

So every single line I get, it goes to who I'm attacking? Two lines go to someone? If I get a Tetris, five lines go to that someone?

What is this "damage boosting" I've heard some people mention? How is there more value in getting a Tetris vs 2 and then 3, and what's the value in getting a "combo?"

Brodo Baggins

Oct 27, 2017
I somehow won my 3rd game with only 2 K.O.s (the 3rd and 2nd place players). The entire stretch of being in the top 10 was super intense. It's crazy that two Tetris games can come out within 4 months of each other and both manage to be so engaging after so many iterations.

Oct 26, 2017
Yeahhhh... I was getting in the top 10 consistently a couple days ago. Today I can't break past the top 40 at all or even get any KOs. Getting tons of games where I'm targeted by 4 people right from the start is also starting to make this not fun.

This isn't tee-ball, not everyone can be a winner.

I personally like the minimal information and no tutorial. It's a bit of a throwback to when you actually had to explore and discover things yourself without having your hand held the whole way through. Plus the game overall is fairly simple, so eventually you'll figure it out. It's not some strategy RPG with 30 sub-menus and dozens of crafting options. When you're playing Tetris 99 in the middle of the action it's a bit tough to figure things out but when I watched my wife play that's when I figured out 90% of the gameplay.

That said, yes the competition is definitely getting stiffer compared to Thursday and early Friday. But that's to be expected, this is the first full weekend of the game being available and word is getting out how good the game is.

My suggested improvements would be:
- More fanfare for top 25, 10, and 5 finishes.
- Be able to view stats of other players who just completed a game. It would be cool to peak into the strategy of others.
- Be able to see the username of the person who is dumping garbage on you
- Improve manual targeting so it doesn't feel so loose

Epilexia

Jan 27, 2018
5 hours in. Haven't placed higher than 9th. Most of my good games land in the mid teens. I'm a mediocre player, but I am hardcore addicted.

Tetris is the actual best game.

Same boat here, my highest was a 6th, and I don't give a shit, because this is one of the most fun experiences that I had with a video game. Plus I'm not a competitive person, I play simply to have fun.

Also, I'm not a type of person watching streams, and for the first time in my life I have entered in Twitch only to see some of the pro players. Because watching high-level Tetris play is something hypnotic.

I have even booted 'Puyo Puyo Tetris' only to watch some of the replays uploaded by Japanese players.

But now that I think in this, we have two superb Tetris titles on Switch, and none of them includes a Marathon endless mode with online leaderboards to compare your high scores with those of your friends.

Nintendo needs to fix this.

JusDoIt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
South Central Los Angeles
They have to tone down the target sparks. That's probably my biggest complaint. If you attack a lot of players at once, your whole screen gets filled with shooting stars. Very distracting and dangerous in the late game.

Phoenom

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017

8bitdo SF30 is the controller you need. Fully featured (minus the NFC and Infared) and great DPad. Plus will come in especially handy if those SNES games turn up.

Rikster

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Jun 24, 2018
California
Was able to make it to 3rd place tonight, getting closer and closer every night. I will get 1st place god dammit, lol love this game.

bytesized

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Amsterdam
Just noticed that the function to look for people that you have played with its not active with TETRIS 99.I really wanted to stalk people robbing me from winning my chicken dinner :/

Error 52

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Same boat here, my highest was a 6th, and I don't give a shit, because this is one of the most fun experiences that I had with a video game. Plus I'm not a competitive person, I play simply to have fun.

Also, I'm not a type of person watching streams, and for the first time in my life I have entered in Twitch only to see some of the pro players. Because watching high-level Tetris play is something hypnotic.

I have even booted 'Puyo Puyo Tetris' only to watch some of the replays uploaded by Japanese players.

But now that I think in this, we have two superb Tetris titles on Switch, and none of them includes a Marathon endless mode with online leaderboards to compare your high scores with those of your friends.

Nintendo needs to fix this.
Puyo does have endless marathon

harz-marz

Oct 28, 2017
I had no idea what I was doing other than playing the Tetris I know and love. This game is so addictive and slickly presented. The music is incredible!

Highest place so far is 33 lol. Love watching the remaining players all battle it out. This game concept was bonkers but it works!

Sixfortyfive

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Atlanta
The post specified "Marathon endless mode with online leaderboards," which IIRC doesn't exist in recent Tetris games except for Tetris Effect.

IMO, it's also a rather pointless metric, as it's pretty trivial to survive forever in endless Marathon anyway. Leaderboards for 150-line Marathon are a little more justifiable, but that's on the borderline of being a "solved game."

flashman92

Feb 15, 2018
So every single line I get, it goes to who I'm attacking? Two lines go to someone? If I get a Tetris, five lines go to that someone?

What is this "damage boosting" I've heard some people mention? How is there more value in getting a Tetris vs 2 and then 3, and what's the value in getting a "combo?"
- It's hard to see, but there's a green hexagon over one of the other players. This is who you are targeting and who all your damage goes to. Unless you're targeting "attackers" which counters all garbage and sends it back to everyone target you.
- Tetris is only worth 4 lines of damage, unless it is after another Tetris/T-spin, then the back to back bonus increases it to 5 lines of damage.
- This game's combo damage is unclear to me. It doesn't seem as strong as previous games, but normally 3 consecutive line clears sends 1 line, 4 consecutive sends 2 lines, 5 combo sends 3 lines, 6,7,8+ combo sends 4 lines per line cleared.
- Killing opponents gives you badge parts. A complete badge gives you a 25% damage boost.

leverpastej

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I aint that Good but i Love this, i dont play online that much on switch and i have a rasberry Pie so the nesgames is not worth a nsosubscription, but this game was wort a 12monthsubscription for me!

bytesized

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Amsterdam
Tetris also, I think it's the option Tetris at the starting screen instead of going to main menu. Not sure if it had online leaderboards though.

In any case I prefer this battle royal mode 1000 times over any other Tetris mode to be honest. It's just perfect for short sessions but super engaging and exciting. Marathon can surely get exciting by the end but you have to clear hundreds of lines to get there, to me there's no point in playing like that anymore.

bytesized

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Amsterdam
Aaaand Tetris 99 made me buy Puyo Puyo Tetris
Thanks
It's a great game, i hope you like it as much as i did. I would take the time to learn puyo puyo if you are not familiar with it already. It's gameplay is almost as good as Tetris and super rewarding. The swap mode is my favourite in the game.

The anime voices and stuff I could've done without but the story mode is also quite fun.

Raysoul

Fat4All Ruined My Rug
Oct 26, 2017
Got my 3rd and 4th win earlier, and this is me not doing T-spins. My tactic is looking for KOs when I do a combo, then set the target to Attacker on the final stretches.

Those final seconds are always intense.

Herb Alpert

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Paris, France
It's a great game, i hope you like it as much as i did. I would take the time to learn puyo puyo if you are not familiar with it already. It's gameplay is almost as good as Tetris and super rewarding. The swap mode is my favourite in the game.

The anime voices and stuff I could've done without but the story mode is also quite fun.

Yeah the main idea is to be able to play tetris with my kids in vs mode.
But I'm indeed curious about Puyo ! Thanks for your opinion !

Cindres

Oct 28, 2017
Got my 3rd and 4th win earlier, and this is me not doing T-spins. My tactic is looking for KOs when I do a combo, then set the target to Attacker on the final stretches.

Those final seconds are always intense.

I've been employing the same basic tactic, seems pretty good to me. Just stick it on KOs until you're happy with your badges/somewhere near the end and then swap to attackers.

Evilmaus

Oct 27, 2017
I can't place higher than 40th as my Tetris skills are reasonably weak. That being said, this game is super fun and a very cool idea.

I think I need to stop worrying about building my stack for tetrises in the early game and instead go for quick singles and doubles.

It's crazy how much strategy there is to this game after reading the different approaches people in this thread.

Herb Alpert

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Paris, France
I hope you have more self restraint playing with your kids than I did when playing with noobs because otherwise they'll hate you lol

It's funny you mention that because I was wondering the same lol
I'm far from being an expert (just learnt 3 days ago about t-spin) but the core tetris gameplay is so easy to learn that it should be doable with 7 and 9 year old kids.

Plus the presentation of the games is really anime and they should like it.

Mirage

Oct 25, 2017
The post specified "Marathon endless mode with online leaderboards," which IIRC doesn't exist in recent Tetris games except for Tetris Effect.

IMO, it's also a rather pointless metric, as it's pretty trivial to survive forever in endless Marathon anyway. Leaderboards for 150-line Marathon are a little more justifiable, but that's on the borderline of being a "solved game."
Guidelines tetris is a lot more set up for multiplayer side of things for sure.

peppermints

Oct 25, 2017
My brother came over last night for our regular board game night with my wife. We were playing Tetris 99 when he got here. That ended up being all we played. No board games, just passing the controller around between the three of us taking turns. Definitely didn't see that coming.

This game seems like it would have been at home on the Dreamcast. Like it's totally believable that in Sega could have put this concept out for SegaNet. Maybe it's because the aesthetics remind me of a mix between Sega Swirl and ChuChu Rocket? But conceptually it screams Dreamcast era Sega.

Epilexia

Jan 27, 2018

'Puyo Puyo Tetris' has endless marathon, but not online leaderboards.

You can't see how your score is compared to the rest of users.

It's one of the most silly decision made by Sega. In a game plagued with online modes, they forgot the most basic online function.

Deleted member 20295

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Manchester, UK
I love that there is a statistic that shows the most people that have targeted you at once, my highest so far is 10 (i swear, I went from 2 lines to game over in about 3 seconds).

What's people's highest?.

Also, good God does this game have that "just 1 more round" appeal down.

Deleted member 4372

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I love that there is a statistic that shows the most people that have targeted you at once, my highest so far is 10 (i swear, I went from 2 lines to game over in about 3 seconds).

What's people's highest?.

So does the fact that people can target you mean there is a strategy to 'laying low' regarding to crazy line clearings and general displays of skill until the other 98 have dwindled down a bit? What is everyones strategy for flying under the radar? Or is that not even a thing?

Anteo

Oct 25, 2017
So does the fact that people can target you mean there is a strategy to 'laying low' regarding to crazy line clearings and general displays of skill until the other 98 have dwindled down a bit? What is everyones strategy for flying under the radar? Or is that not even a thing?

you still need to get kills, kills gets you medals and medals increase your power. trying to fight in the top 10 when everyone has a 2x bonus while youhave nothing is not that fun