• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

mntorankusu

Nov 13, 2017
So does the fact that people can target you mean there is a strategy to 'laying low' regarding to crazy line clearings and general displays of skill until the other 98 have dwindled down a bit? What is everyones strategy for flying under the radar? Or is that not even a thing?

It's actually pretty similar in theory to how other BR games work. The more KOs you get, the stronger you'll be against other players, but it's more dangerous. Laying low is a good way to get into the top 10 but it's not the best way to win because you'll be too weak when you do get targeted in the late game.

Deleted member 4372

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
you still need to get kills, kills gets you medals and medals increase your power. trying to fight in the top 10 when everyone has a 2x bonus while youhave nothing is not that fun
It's actually pretty similar in theory to how other BR games work. The more KOs you get, the stronger you'll be against other players, but it's more dangerous. Laying low is a good way to get into the top 10 but it's not the best way to win because you'll be too weak when you do get targeted in the late game.

god this just sounds incredible

Anteo

Oct 25, 2017
god this just sounds incredible

haha yeah the game is pretty well thought out, at least the mechanics, we will see if the multipliers are correctly balanced as the meta evolves (if it does)

you could theorically lay low for a bit and try to snipe a few kills before the top 50, so you are not near the top target in medals but still are building your power for the late game. if you kill someone who also has medals you get all of them for you, so being the top player in medals puts a huge target on your head.

Deleted member 36622

Banned
Dec 21, 2017
DznZCnrUwAAAO25.jpg:large

I'm playing while listening to this track, it feels good.

dynamitejim

Oct 25, 2017
Finally got my first win after 118 games. Two things this game needs:

1. Let you practice while you're waiting for a new game to start.
2. Auto-spectate full screen when it gets down to 3-4 players left.

Wegelius

Nov 27, 2017
I am loving this game but the dpad situation on the switch is killing me. I just threw up my hands and ordered a Magic NS, the joycons aren't bad but the pro controller whew.

Also gonna try seeing how an 4 way arcade stick feels, only problem I can see is switching targets but I think I can get quick with it.

Oct 27, 2017
If you delete your save file, you will return to level 1.

The progress is not tied to your Nintendo account, but to the save file stored in your console.
Nintendo still can't get anything online related right. Our levels should all be saved server-side in a game that's online-only. Jesus.

Getting matched against wumbo in this game is like being matched against shroud in apex :p
He actually holds the joy-cons in opposite hands, I think it's due to being used to playing on pc with arrow keys etc.
Yeah, he's the absolute best I've seen.

Tesser

Writer/Critic at Hardcore Gamer
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
Has anyone had any issues regarding slight lag/stutter, particularly when it come to the Final 10? Was doing pretty well on a few games, when suddenly I find three different Tetriminos would just hard drop and fuck over my run. That, despite me not even touching any of the buttons; I thought initially it was a problem with me using the Pro controller, but even when using Joy-Con's, I found that on rare occasions, I'd just get fucked over despite me having no input in controlling the pieces. That's really the only technical issue I've found, but it's a pretty shitty one nonetheless, especially if you find yourself with only a couple/few lines to clear during the final phase.

Deleted member 4247

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Has anyone had any issues regarding slight lag/stutter, particularly when it come to the Final 10? Was doing pretty well on a few games, when suddenly I find three different Tetriminos would just hard drop and fuck over my run. That, despite me not even touching any of the buttons; I thought initially it was a problem with me using the Pro controller, but even when using Joy-Con's, I found that on rare occasions, I'd just get fucked over despite me having no input in controlling the pieces. That's really the only technical issue I've found, but it's a pretty shitty one nonetheless, especially if you find yourself with only a couple/few lines to clear during the final phase.

Definitely had a few cases of stuff happening that I'm pretty sure I wasn't doing. Which is weird. There shouldn't have to be any issues like that, since the only interaction you have with other players is the lines you send over. But Nintendo + online...

Jerm411

Oct 27, 2017
Clinton, MO
Man whoever came up with this idea is a goddamn genius....its so fun.

I've always really liked Tetris but been more of a casual player....with 99 now though I really want to learn how to become a good player and learn the tips and tricks, etc.

My wife and 5 yr. old love it too.

May 5, 2018
I had my best run this morning. I KO'ed 6 other players, but only managed to finish at #6 which is my best finish. I think I'll be playing Tetris 99 for a good chunk of the time this year. Its honestly two concepts (Tetris' addictive puzzle gameplay and battle royale) blended so well.

Tesser

Writer/Critic at Hardcore Gamer
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
One of the best shadow drops ever...totally makes the NSO service worth it too.

It's definitely a step in the right direction, though I wouldn't go as far as to claim 99 makes the entire service worthwhile. But yes, we need more incentives like this because the game, for the size and scope it is, absolutely works.

transience

Found the ultimate water hazard
Oct 27, 2017
Finally got my first #1. Felt good.

I think I'm starting to judge myself based on things like KOs and # of Tetrises more than placement because of how random it can be. So far my best is 10 KOs and 21 Tetrises.

Blitz

Oct 29, 2017
Just noticed that the function to look for people that you have played with its not active with TETRIS 99.I really wanted to stalk people robbing me from winning my chicken dinner :/

This leads me to believe that we've been playing with Ai bots all this time. Or at least half the players are bots.
There is no lag whatsoever which seems to good to be true compared to smash bros.

jts

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
What a rush this game is. I thought it would die on me after a few days but it just gets better as you develop skills and techniques and build your speed up. And I finally get the battle part of it.

TheKeyPit

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Ok, screw this. The last four matches I got bombed randomly at the start. Battle is set to Attackers, so I'm not trying to get attention but it doesn't matter.

Timeaisis

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
This leads me to believe that we've been playing with Ai bots all this time. Or at least half the players are bots.
There is no lag whatsoever which seems to good to be true compared to smash bros.
You do realize Tetris data is a lot smaller than fighting game data? It only has to update the finality of every move, which is pretty trivial.

Regiruler

Oct 28, 2017
United States
The power bonus from getting targeted is way too absurd. You can't group up to take on someone because they'll get near exponentially stronger.

But even worse, you don't know how many other people are targeting your target until you start seeing 5+ lines of garbage coming in every second.

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Got my first 1st place win today, and then got another in the match right after that one

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
I just want a training mode that would teach you in a practical way the new techniques like T spinning and so on.
Basics of t-spinning aren't too hard, just need to know what to look for to start with! Then when you get used to that you can start to build out the patterns yourself.

Just nipped into Puyo and whipped up a quick example, might help?

Spot the shape in the well - bonus if around it is filled so you get a line clear (in this example 2!):

20190217_2119190wknh.jpg

Line it up:

20190217_211906lfj6d.jpg

Then when it's there, rotate so it'll clear both lines. Not sure if that helps at all but I find sometimes people can see the term as being more scary than the action itself.

At a basic level if you want to start off just doing any in a match, all you really need to do is spot a shape like the above and learn what dropped to form it.

Last edited:

bytesized

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Amsterdam
Basics of t-spinning aren't too hard, just need to know what to look for to start with! Then when you get used to that you can start to build out the patterns yourself.

Just nipped into Puyo and whipped up a quick example, might help?

Spot the shape in the well - bonus if around it is filled so you get a line clear (in this example 2!):

20190217_2119190wknh.jpg

Line it up:

20190217_211906lfj6d.jpg

Then when it's there, rotate to it'll clear both lines. Not sure if that helps at all but I find sometimes people can see the term as being more scary than the action itself.

At a basic level if you want to start off just doing any in a match, all you really need to do is spot a shape like the above and learn what dropped to form it.
Yeah, I've seen many tutorials but I would like a training mode that would give you hints on how to make the set up as you play.

Say, you're trying to do it yourself and when the AI detects there's an opportunity to set up a T spin combo it would highlight it for you. I think something like that would help a lot.

Rodelero

Oct 27, 2017
Finally won a game, was becoming a bit of an obsession. Not sure how much I'll play going forward, but either way this is a super game.

Chixdiggit

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Does clearing garbage lines count for attacks? Sorry if asked before but doesn't seem to be in mechanics link posted in OT.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
Yeah, I've seen many tutorials but I would like a training mode that would give you hints on how to make the set up as you play.

Say, you're trying to do it yourself and when the AI detects there's an opportunity to set up a T spin combo it would highlight it for you. I think something like that would help a lot.
Definitely agree with you there. Having one in game would be incredibly useful.

It's hard to learn ways of building them as a first approach I found, over playing and spotting the shapes and using them. Since you're playing you'll have a sense of what you placed to get to that shape and with play that gives you the knowledge of how to build.

Keep an eye out for ones you can exploit as you play normally, and learn from them how to build over trying to skip to the building part. I don't know if that makes sense or not, finding it hard to articulate but it's just a different framing.

Again, should be one in game just suggesting what I found helpful as I was very much in your position and all the youtube videos and guides didn't help at all.

Ginger Hail

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
DzoSDn2U8AA-aTz.jpg

Went to sit down and play for a while earlier, but my very first game was my first win. Other stuff came up anyway, so I'll happily take it.

So how does this game work? How are you playing against other players?
It works a lot like Vs in typical Tetris games, albeit on a much larger scale. Clearing lines and doing combos creates garbage that you can send to another player and other players will be sending garbage your way. You can see a miniature version of everyone else's playfield and manually target who to send your garbage to, but there are present options you can select that will let you auto target certain people, such as someone who is attacking you directly or someone who is close to being KO'd.

demondance

Oct 27, 2017
My brother came over last night for our regular board game night with my wife. We were playing Tetris 99 when he got here. That ended up being all we played. No board games, just passing the controller around between the three of us taking turns. Definitely didn't see that coming.

This game seems like it would have been at home on the Dreamcast. Like it's totally believable that in Sega could have put this concept out for SegaNet. Maybe it's because the aesthetics remind me of a mix between Sega Swirl and ChuChu Rocket? But conceptually it screams Dreamcast era Sega.

It's the arcade DNA in this, I think. I feel the same way.

Cindres

Oct 28, 2017
Got my 5th win as part of a pretty good streak of finishing 2-2-1-6-1. Aim now is consecutive wins, so close.