• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Falus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don't really tspin. I don't think I'm very good. Average. Always finishing 8-10. Got my first second place just now but damn how fast it is

Deleted member 36622

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 21, 2017
It's fascinating that Tetris has such a long history with Nintendo back with the original release on Game Boy and somehow they managed to keep making interesting iterations for Nintendo consoles over the years and now it's the biggest selling point of their online service.

SoH

Oct 25, 2017
It's fascinating that Tetris has such a long history with Nintendo back with the original release on Game Boy and somehow they managed to keep making interesting iterations for Nintendo consoles over the years and now it's the biggest selling point of their online service.

The story of Nintendo and Tetris is incredibly interesting and if anyone has never watched From Russia with Love then do it because it is amazing. Yes, it is an hour long but find an hour and sit down and watch it.

Primal Sage

Virtually Real
Nov 27, 2017
Had two number one wins in a row tonight. Proceeded to lose early on in subsequent games. Should have quit while I was ahead.

It's very addictive.

Randam

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
It works a lot like Vs in typical Tetris games, albeit on a much larger scale. Clearing lines and doing combos creates garbage that you can send to another player and other players will be sending garbage your way. You can see a miniature version of everyone else's playfield and manually target who to send your garbage to, but there are present options you can select that will let you auto target certain people, such as someone who is attacking you directly or someone who is close to being KO'd.
Ah. Cool. Thanks.

Pierogi Mage

One Winged Slayer
Dec 7, 2017
Got 2nd place just now, heart is racing. This game is great. I feel like how i have when i play blackout in blops4

RetroCCN

Oct 26, 2017
Either you all are like amazing at Tetris or you're liars lol. Consecutive wins sound like an incredibly feat.

I do it pretty consistently, but I've been playing this game for 30 years. I'm definitely not as good as some of these crazy advanced players. I'm good enough to get 1st place often enough but not so good that I don't get overwhelmed when I run into some of these whiz players.

SoH

Oct 25, 2017
You may have walked into your chicken dinner first try no big deal but me, I strangled the other top 5 with my bare hands.
MR5GRW0.jpg

neon/drifter

Shit Shoe Wasp Smasher
Apr 3, 2018
Tetris is to video games what checkers is to board games.

Anybody agree? Everyone knows how to play it, it's a classic since the beginning and it spans generations and such.

Piichan

Oct 28, 2017
Tokyo
Last week Friday I brought my Switch to work for after hours Smash and Mario Kart, but we ended up playing this game the most. It is incredible. I'm totally hooked. It's all I played during the weekend. Got two 1sts so far, but wanna get more consistent wins, so I'll look into T-spinning.

ZugZug123

Oct 27, 2017
Was able to get to #12, would be in top 10 if I had not made a mistake and messed myself up. Got there by not drawing attention and killing single lines.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
If you want to see what a Tetris god playing this looks like, check out Amemiya's stream (live right now)

Amemiya was the winner of AnimEVO 2017's PPT tournaments, and even faced off 1v3 against #2-4 and still won the set with a single loss.

He's hit Rank 16 already, had 37 KOs in a single game, and has done at least 10+ straight wins.

I love how high level Tetir play looks like you're playing it wrong and then suddeny a bunch of t-spins clears the well and you realise you were watching someone who knew exactly what they were doing all along.

Sixfortyfive

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Atlanta
This is gonna sound tryhard as fuck, but there's some lack of satisfaction in most victories because there are decent odds that most of the last few players in a match get there more by chance than anything else, and picking them off is anti-climactic.

Like something of value is lost when you're just focusing 100% on the metagame and not actually taking into account any of your individual opponents.

hibikase

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
This is gonna sound tryhard as fuck, but there's some lack of satisfaction in most victories because there are decent odds that most of the last few players in a match get there more by chance than anything else, and picking them off is anti-climactic.

Like something of value is lost when you're just focusing 100% on the metagame and not actually taking into account any of your individual opponents.

I'd argue you can say the same for any battle royale, ultimately there's always a lot of luck involved. It's an inherent property of the genre. And people enjoy it specifically because of that. As long as you have a decent enough level of skill you can just try and try again until you get a win (and being able to retry quickly helps a lot as well).

Last edited:

brainchild

Independent Developer
Verified
Nov 25, 2017
I'd argue you can say the same for any battle royale, ultimately there's always a lot of luck involved. It's an inherent property of the genre. And people enjoy it specifically because of that. As long as you have a decent enough level of skill you can just try and try again until you get a win (and being able to retry quickly helps a lot as well).

I agree, and personally I think it makes multiplayer games more fun/interesting.

mutantmagnet

Oct 28, 2017
If you want to see what a Tetris god playing this looks like, check out Amemiya's stream (live right now)

Amemiya was the winner of AnimEVO 2017's PPT tournaments, and even faced off 1v3 against #2-4 and still won the set with a single loss.

He's hit Rank 16 already, had 37 KOs in a single game, and has done at least 10+ straight wins.

Crazy that this guy has over 4K viewers right now. Nintendo seriously tapped into a whole new potential expansion into esports.

Timeaisis

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
I feel like I've hit a brick wall. I'm constantly on defense and never have enough clears to clear attacks back, despite my best efforts. I have no idea what I could be doing better on the games I feel I'm doing my best. Kinda feels like there's no improving within the game at this point...:/

MouldyK

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
I would pay for different music and different styles of blocks (like Puyo Tetris has).

Jonneh

Good Vibes Gaming
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
UK
I feel like I've hit a brick wall. I'm constantly on defense and never have enough clears to clear attacks back, despite my best efforts. I have no idea what I could be doing better on the games I feel I'm doing my best. Kinda feels like there's no improving within the game at this point...:/
The more KO's you get, the more garbage you send. Set yourself to KO mode as soon as you start to try and get some early badges. If you have like 3-5 lasers on you, attackers mode is a brilliant way to get KO's too

Oct 26, 2017
So I got hit with 10 lines of garbage literally within the first 6 seconds of the match. How is that even possible? To send 10 lines of garbage you need at least 1-2 badges and a tetris. That can't be done in 6 seconds.

jts

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I wish this game supported replays of some kind. Taking the time to long press a button for vanity can sometimes be your end.

flashman92

Feb 15, 2018

I noticed this when I first won. Compared to a standard Tetris vs match, there's something detached from this which makes losing feel less bad but winning actually feels kinda less rewarding. Not being able to see how my opponent is doing really puts a sense of "okay I won, but why?" after every win.

The_Ultima

User requested ban
Banned
Nov 15, 2018
Germany
Congrats! It's exhilarating, isn't it?

Yeah, watching me play this game is basically watching me flipping the heck out for a solid chunk of time lol. I can't play more than a few matches at a time without burning out.

Yes, it is exhilirating and burning me out. Which is exactly why I deleted the game lol
I don´t play online and I just used some Gold Coins to buy a 1-month access to NSO. I mean, I love Tetris after all and wanted to try 99. But this is not for me. I simply think it is wrong for my body to feel the way it does after just playing a mere videogame. I consider it unhealthy, both physically and mentally. Glad I got to try it out though.

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So I got hit with 10 lines of garbage literally within the first 6 seconds of the match. How is that even possible? To send 10 lines of garbage you need at least 1-2 badges and a tetris. That can't be done in 6 seconds.

Yeah, balancing in this game needs to be improved. I win fairly regularly but there are situations where you basically can't do shit, even if you're good at Tetris. There are definitely games where the amount of rows that arrive just make no sense in relation to what's being done on the other screens attacking me, too. Like that time I got hit by like 16 rows without even being targeted.

bytesized

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Amsterdam
Either you all are like amazing at Tetris or you're liars lol. Consecutive wins sound like an incredibly feat.
On my second day I won 3 out of 6 games but now it's way more difficult, only won one game in the last 2 days :/
Either you had multiple people targeting you, or somebody knew how to set up a quick Perfect Clear or DT Cannon.
Yeah, probably a perfect clear. They involve a bit of luck (they are possible maybe 1/10 times) bit they are very easy to pull off and do not represent any real risk to the one doing it, I always try to do them.

Mistouze

Oct 26, 2017
Between people getting more experienced playing this and the matchmaking after getting to level 10+ I have a way harder time getting in Top 20 now.

Still having a lot of fun with this though. Hope the game gets update, a squad mode could be dope but offline modes could cement this as a GOAT Tetris experience.

TheKeyPit

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
I don't know what happened these last 2 hours but it was way harder than usual, people sending tons of garbage in the very first seconds lol.
I already had some sort of Ragequit during these moments where I just hard drop everything, and get into the next match as fast as possible.

Mirage

Oct 25, 2017
I already had some sort of Ragequit during these moments where I just hard drop everything, and get into the next match as fast as possible.
The more people targeting you the more garbage lines you send out in general. So if someone got targeted by a bunch of people at the start and they throw out lines it's going to be a lot more, I don't know the exact amount but if you have enough people targeting you a single with no badges will send out 8 garbage lines, and like 15 for a tetris.

https://www.twitch.tv/kevinddr/clip/PowerfulAggressiveBaboonCoolCat

Last edited:

Sixfortyfive

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Atlanta
The more people targeting you the more garbage lines you send out in general. So if someone got targetedd by a bunch of people at the start and they throuw out lines it's going to be a lot more, I don't know the exact amount but if you have enough people targeting you a single with no badges will send out 8 garbage lines, and like 15 for a tetris.
Pretty much. Unless the skill level of the people targeting you are significantly higher than your own on average, being ganged up at the start can actually give you a better shot at earning early badge points. It also takes a long time for garbage lines to spawn at the start, so you have plenty of time to react.

Ravelle

Oct 31, 2017
That video of a DT Cannon is one of the most impressive Tetris performances that I have seen.

If you have PPT on Switch or PS4 you owe it to yourself to check out the leaderboards and watch the top 5 matches, these people go fucking Super Sayan Jedi Master on each other, it's insane and super impressive.

Deleted member 49611

Nov 14, 2018
just tried it. first game got to #26 although i have no idea WTF i'm doing. some basic explanation in game would be nice but i guess i'll just need to look on the internet. i'm sure it'll be fun once i know what i'm doing.

edit: actually know what....no it doesn't sound fun at all.