• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Cerium

The Former
Oct 23, 2017
Faygzy1.png

E6DGZQ1.png

TETRIS: BATTLE ROYALE

The free to download online software, Tetris 99, is available as a special offer for Nintendo Switch Online members. In large-scale, 99-player battles, it'll take speed, skill, and strategy to knock out the competition and become the last player standing. You can target opponents by sending them Garbage Blocks, but be careful…your rivals can target you back! Defeat opponents to acquire KO badges that may give you the advantage on future attacks. Survive the onslaught and look forward to upcoming online events!

I'll quote myself again on the general gameplay rules that I think I've figured out. I'm pretty confident that I understand the targeting rules at this point but am less sure about the general strategy.

- Each time you send garbage that tops out an opponent, you're credited for a KO and it gives you some EXP toward your badges in the corner.

- Each badge you earn increases your attack power by 25%, up to a maximum of 4 badges for 200% power.

- So, an early game tactic could be to rack up as many KOs as quickly as possible by specifically targeting for KOs so that you increase your power quickly. Either use the "KO" targeting selection to snipe people in a poor position or manually select players that are at risk of topping out.

- Once you've either maxed out your badges or gotten a significant power boost early, consider switching the targeting to the other players who are leading in badges in order to eliminate the biggest threats.*

- If at any point you're being targeted by too many opponents to ignore, switch to targeting Attackers until you're out of trouble, then resume the previous tactics afterward. When you target multiple Attackers specifically, it seems to give you an additional power boost. Like when I've got 4+ people throwing garbage at me, selecting Attackers targets all of them and sends back way more garbage than normal.

* This can backfire against really adept opponents. If they have an empty field, and you send over 10 lines of garbage, there's a decent chance that the garbage will form a long well for them to fire Tetrises right back at you. So pick your shots accordingly.

I've seen some posters suggest to play it slow and safe because attacking less means racking up fewer KOs and staying low means you're at less risk of topping out, each of which reduces the odds of you getting targeted, but being under-powered is a quick recipe for failure once you're in the final 10 and can't hide anymore.

I also suspect that at least one of the targeting modes has a bias towards high-level opponents. Ever since I hit level ~20 or so I've had about 4 or 5 people targeting me at the start of each match.

Last edited:

Skel1ingt0n

Oct 28, 2017
I'm on mobile... can someone explain how the "combat" works?

And second, can I join a game with a friend?

Crushed

Oct 25, 2017
if you take part in like three people simultaneously dropping a tetris on someone right out the gate then you belong in jail, even if you probably have no idea whether you did that

Oct 27, 2017
Watching Swiftor on Twitch and he doesn't understand why his pieces keep dropping without him wanting to. Pro Controller shitty dpad claims another victim.

JustinP

Oct 25, 2017
DzVFEa5UYAAnq1L.jpg

Chicken dinner on 2nd game -- fun stuff, though I personally don't like the super fast speeds (prefer vs speeds in games like puyo tetris)

I'm on mobile... can someone explain how the "combat" works?

And second, can I join a game with a friend?
By default you target random opponents and send blocks to them. The other options are KOSs, Badges, Attackers -- looks like you control it with right stick but I haven't messed with that yet.

Epilexia

Jan 27, 2018
Cerium , you're a hero, because you have been able to stop playing this to create a thread.

I can't even imagine the anxiety for other round :)

Corthier

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
New England, USA
Not the biggest fan of Tetris but I love the idea of this. Came in 18th on my first try, this is gonna be fun to just pick up and play when I have a few moments.

Sixfortyfive

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Atlanta
Anyone have a grasp on what separates this from recent SRS rules, if anything?

Mostly wondering what ideal targeting strategies are and exactly how garbage works.

SoH

Oct 25, 2017
GB Quick Look up for anyone who doesn't have NSO and wants to know what the hell this is about.

Dracil

Oct 30, 2017
If you want to see what a Tetris god playing this looks like, check out Amemiya's stream (live right now)

Amemiya was the winner of AnimEVO 2017's PPT tournaments, and even faced off 1v3 against #2-4 and still won the set with a single loss.

He's hit Rank 16 already, had 37 KOs in a single game, and has done at least 10+ straight wins.

zashga

Losing is fun
Oct 28, 2017
Excellent OT title. I'm downloading this as soon as I get home tonight.

Falus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I've added a real directional add on my'switch Buttons. It's too sensitive for Tetris but I don't want to take it off :(

butzopower

Oct 27, 2017
London
Stupid question, but is this online only? I'm traveling right now, and Tetris sounds nice, but I can't play on the plane if it's online only.

Epilexia

Jan 27, 2018
The game is amazing and an instant classic that will be cited as one of the TOP 10 more influential games in the Switch lifetime catalogue.

But while addictive, I think that the sound design is not receiving as much praise as it deserves.

Through the finesse of the controls and how every action is tied to a sound effect, this feels so damn close to be playing a Japanese arcade cabinet from the early 2000s.

Mireille

Oct 26, 2017
So addicted to this... won some games, wish online didnt get so many errors like im having thought :/

rzmunch

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Argentina
If you want to see what a Tetris god playing this looks like, check out Amemiya's stream (live right now)

Amemiya was the winner of AnimEVO 2017's PPT tournaments, and even faced off 1v3 against #2-4 and still won the set with a single loss.

He's hit Rank 16 already, had 37 KOs in a single game, and has done at least 10+ straight wins.

Wow, he is amazing!

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
This shit is soooo good. I've gotten 21st place so far and I won't rest until I get a win at least once!
I also love how it's a lot more engaging than typical BRs. In and Out. No scouring for items lol.

Falus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Must have played against one guy like this. Got pushed to the top within 10s

ElFly

Oct 27, 2017
had to turn off harddrop for wife, who kept activating it

dunno why it needs to be on the d-pad? the switch controller has like a billion buttons. use another one, jeez

GDGF

Oct 26, 2017
This is dope as hell! Such a brilliant idea. Came in #57 my first try. Time to get good.

Numberfox

Aug 5, 2018
I'm not 100%, but this is what i THINK the targeting does. You can decide where you want to send the garbage with the right stick. The 4 options are:

Random: Any random player.

K.O.s: The player closest to being K.O.'d.

Badges: The player with the most badges. When a player gets a K.O., they are awarded badges based on how much they contributed to the K.O. (via throwing garbage at them). So it's possible for a player with 1 K.O. to have more badges than a player with several K.O.s

Attackers: The players attacking you. This also allows you to send garbage to multiple people since it targets EVERYONE targeting you.

Please correct me if I got this wrong, this is just my impression after watching some streams.

Last edited:

captmcblack

Oct 25, 2017
Fuck, how did Tetris become a legit GOTY candidate 3 years in a row?

This shit is crack, 12/10
Have to learn attacking so I can get first.