• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
What better way to celebrate the birth of one of the greatest games of all time than with a little Tetris Effect or Tetris Effect: Connected? If you plan to partake today we've got a special treat we're talking about publicly for the first time: one semi-secret and another super-secret unlockable level, hidden inside every copy of Tetris Effect!
The first level the internet found pretty quickly: 1989. There are two ways that you can experience this nostalgic Nintendo Game Boy™ inspired "Effect Modes" level for yourself: The first is by participating in the Weekend Ritual; if and when the community goal is met, 1989 level will be available to all participants for the remainder of the 24-hour Ritual time period. (So, for example, if the goal is met in 16 hours, everyone will have the level unlocked for the remaining 8 hours.)
But if you're saying to yourself, "I wanna play with this all the time!" -- the second unlock method is permanent, but takes much more commitment: you need to raise your player level to 50!
The second secret level has been found, but is still not widely known about: 1984, our tribute to the original version of Tetris for the Electronika 60, the old Soviet PC Alexey Pajinov first created the game on!
Accessing it on consoles requires the use of a USB keyboard (PS4/Xbox/Oculus), chat pad (Xbox), or some way to enter text that is not reliant on an OS-level pop-up (gotta have the hardware for it—this is not for the feint of heart!).
First, you must enter a code with your controller at the title screen (prior to pressing start). If you're using a Dual Shock 4 or PlayStation-compatible control pad, press (directional pad) Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, O, X. If you're on Xbox, using Oculus controllers or have an Xbox-style controller, enter in (directional pad) Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A.
Enter in 06061984 -- the date of the birth of Tetris -- with your keyboard as mentioned above, and press enter. You'll get a message that "1984" has been unlocked, available to use in any of the many "Effect Modes" (and once you unlock this, it remains unlocked). You might even hear a familiar voice talking! What's he saying, exactly…? Let's save some mysteries for another day!
Source

Seems to work in all versions of the game, but seeing the requirements I guess it's not that surprising how it wasn't widely known about. Love secrets like this though!

Navidson REC

Oct 31, 2017
I'll have to try this out. Love Tetris Effect Connected even though I'm still stuck on the last level... on easy, lol

MinusTydus

The Fallen
Jul 28, 2018
Me: "Huh. This theme is kinda hard on the eyes..."

*clears 100 lines*

Me: "And now I'm blind."

Wonder what other codes work. No way they did this for just one level.

Arukado

Oct 27, 2017
I did this a couple of months ago and it is a nice easter egg.

The one i want is 1989 tho, but i haven't reached level 50 yet.

EDIT: Speaking of wanting things, i would love to unlock the multiplayer music (and some effect modes music) for the singleplayer.

Lord Error

Oct 27, 2017
This has been known for a very long time I think. I know that I've activated the 1984 mode this way more than a year ago I think.

Pennybags

Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
Tetris Effect is good enough that I recommend it to friends who normally wouldn't engage with something like it. Gonna have to to try this later.

Speaking of Tetris licensing, the Majesco Tetris with the little professor guy you had to build around is probably my personal favorite for nostalgia reasons.

Tomba

Mar 10, 2021
that's very cool. level sure is trippy and couldn't even get a good score lol

TetraGenesis

Oct 27, 2017
Ran and did this immediately! The level is pretty cool. It's one of those levels that spends too long in a kind of early boring state and not enough in the late-level vibing state, but when it gets there it's really good. Very cool effects on the blocks.

Bane

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Doesn't the EA deal expire until 2023?

It's not known what happened but last year Ubisoft (and maybe someone else?) announced a Star Wars game. EA is still making games but not exclusively anymore. The studio behind The Division is making something now.

Roliq

▲ Legend ▲
Sep 23, 2018
It's not known what happened but last year Ubisoft (and maybe someone else?) announced a Star Wars game. EA is still making games but not exclusively anymore. The studio behind The Division is making something now.
Oh, then i stand corrected, it was so dumb making it exclusive in the first place

Oct 28, 2017
This has been known for a very long time I think. I know that I've activated the 1984 mode this way more than a year ago I think.

Supposedly it unlocked automatically after June 6th, 2019, but this was patched out later that year for players who hadn't already gotten it. On the PS4 at least you could get around that with an unpatched 1.0 copy from a retail disc, then a few months later people figured out the "Konami code" method. It's weird to me that this is apparently the only official way of unlocking it now, you'd think they would've patched in a way to earn it à la the 1989 mode.

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Any hope that they put it normally in the next Connected patch instead to having to use a keyboard?

big_z

Nov 2, 2017
unlocked on both ps4 and series x versions. i wonder if there are other secret levels in there somewhere.

Oct 25, 2017
I've been waiting for years, but they don't want my money
This game really has had a ridiculous string of exclusivity deals. It probably made its money back from the deals alone.

November 2018: PS4 exclusive release
July 2019: Epic Store exclusive PC release
November 2020: Xbox and Microsoft Store PC release along with an exclusive multiplayer update, screwing over people who bought the game earlier on PS4 and Epic Store
Summer 2021: Multiplayer update comes to PS4 and Epic Store PC version, and the game gets a Steam release. Finally, all the exclusivity is gone!

Dinjoralo

Oct 25, 2017
I'm very glad that I found a high quality rip of the Tetris CDI soundtrack. It's proto-vaporwave...

Woylie

May 9, 2018
I wish this game was more epilepsy safe, but I guess the flashing visuals are sort of the point. I love Tetris and Lumines, so was looking forward to trying this when it came to Game Pass... but then I fired it up and *immediately* knew that the visuals would be a problem for me.