• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Mercador

Nov 18, 2017
Quebec City
Tetris Effect (PC version)

Release Information

Game Details

Minimum Specs:

Processor: Intel i3-4340
Memory: 4GB RAM
DirectX: Version 11
Graphics: NVIDIA GTX 750 Ti equivalent or greater
Sound Card: DirectX 11 Compatible

Recommended Specs:
Processor: Intel i5-4590 (required for VR)
Memory: 8GB RAM
Graphics: NVIDIA GTX 970 equivalent (required for VR)
Additional Notes: GTX 1070 or greater recommended for VR

Features
Put blocks together to make lines, simple isn't it? PC version supports unlocked resolution and uncapped framerate.

Trailer

Links
Official Site

Reviews
Metacritic : 89 (9 reviews - Last verified: August 3rd, 2019 @ 6h43PM EST)
Opencritic : None tracked

FAQ

Q. Which VR is supported on PC?
A. Oculus Rift and HTC Vive

Q. How I run it in VR?
A. Right now, you have to use the link in Epic Game Launcher

Q. Why this crappy OT?
A. Because there was none, feel free to suggest additional details, I'll keep it up to date once a day (or so).

Q. Why the game is on the Epic Store?
A. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Last edited:

Deleted member 8468

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I'll be buying this tonight! Loved it on PS4 but I typically play more PC stuff so it'll be nice to have it there. I'll basically buy any Mizuguchi games on every system they pop up on.

Hoping to get streaming to the Quest set up as well, but I haven't even played around with that since around launch.

Vimes

Oct 25, 2017
I would have been day one for this, but I don't think my oculus DK1 I'm still flogging will do it justice. So I may just have to hope that by the time it comes to Steam I'll have been able to afford a more modern HMD.

R dott B

Oct 27, 2017
I'm still on the fence. I keep telling myself to just grab it but then I wonder how fun could a VR tetris really be? I need to browse youtube for more videos.

OP
OP
Mercador

Mercador

Nov 18, 2017
Quebec City
I haven't played the PS4 version so I can't compare. But on my 1070, it runs flawlessly. It gives me chills, I guess it's because of the mix of the music and the visual. It feels like Lumines (I guess they should bring this one as well on VR).

Dinjoralo

Oct 25, 2017
For those wondering, there is a way to launch the game through Steam and play without an internet connection, found here. Hopefully this doesn't get patched.

Lump

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
WMR is also supported and works perfectly because of the ironic SteamVR support.

Oct 30, 2017
I'm still on the fence. I keep telling myself to just grab it but then I wonder how fun could a VR tetris really be? I need to browse youtube for more videos.

i would suggest not doing that and just playing it. this isn't a game you can get the appeal of by watching videos if you're not already on board, and the visuals and music will be more effective when you don't know what to expect.

MagnusGman

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Dallas
Wrapped up Journey mode on Normal today. Yup it's still crazy to get through sometimes lol. But I'm excited to play more.

sweetmini

Jun 12, 2019
I totally agree that you should go blind, some levels music layers are so wonderful when heard first in the game.... you cannot replicate first experience.

Wrapped up Journey mode on Normal today. Yup it's still crazy to get through sometimes lol. But I'm excited to play more.

What was your final score if you managed to do it in one session ?
Something special happens in the last level if you manage to play all the levels straight without failing. Same thing happens whether you manage it in normal or hard, so no pressure there.

NightShift

Oct 25, 2017
Australia
i would suggest not doing that and just playing it. this isn't a game you can get the appeal of by watching videos if you're not already on board, and the visuals and music will be more effective when you don't know what to expect.
I agree with this. Tetris Effect is one of those games you have to play for yourself to understand why it's so beloved. It isn't just Tetris.

Oct 28, 2017
Does anyone know how to launch this game in VR mode from Oculus Home? The only thing holding me back from buying is I hate having to launch games from a pancake launcher in VR.

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Is it possible to play this game using a PSVR headset on PC? I've never tried it before, but this might be the one time it's worth jumping some technical hurdles to make it happen.

8byte

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt-account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Kansas
I really wish this were MacOS compatible. :(

I have bootcamp installed, so I might give that a shot, but I'm not sure it'll run correctly. Is there a demo available so I can check before hand (or anyone else that's got a bootcamp'd system)?

sweetmini

Jun 12, 2019
Can't beat the last level on Normal, got to 75/90 last time I tried. Over speed 10 is crazy.
Keep rotating your pieces when they land, it will give you some respite. You can continue moving them while rotating after they land for quite some time. Don t forget your special time as well ;)
You ll get the hang of the high speed I am sure.

OP
OP
Mercador

Mercador

Nov 18, 2017
Quebec City
Keep rotating your pieces when they land, it will give you some respite. You can continue moving them while rotating after they land for quite some time. Don t forget your special time as well ;)
You ll get the hang of the high speed I am sure.
Yeah probably, I've only tried it once. I'm unlocking levels at Expert now. But still, more than speed 10 is getting me a bit anxious and I make mistakes.

weebro

Banned
Nov 7, 2018

Not only is watching youtube videos for VR games a bad idea, but Tetris Effect is something you really need to experience for yourself. Its a magical experience. Stuff like Tetris Effect and Astrobot continue to further reinforce my PSVR purchase was a good decision.

Deleted member 48897

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 22, 2018
How is this not in VR mode? I love Tetris and don't want to spend the $$$ necessary to get myself into a VR-ready position

OnionPowder

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Orlando, FL
I ended up cancelling my refund because i just need a tetris game to play. Been grinding through some modes. Managed to get A on all of the focus modes and SS on Master.

Still only a B on Marathon since i suck shit at doing t-spins :(

How is this not in VR mode? I love Tetris and don't want to spend the $$$ necessary to get myself into a VR-ready position

IMO it's the best tetris game you can buy even not in VR. 120FPS support is great as well.

Master mode is the shit.

DjDeathCool

Oct 28, 2017
Bismarck, ND
I was SUPER stoked to give this a whirl in VR and honestly I was a bit unimpressed. Granted, I have the PERFECT non-VR setup for this game (Ultrawide display, Philips hue backlighting and Razer headphones with haptic feedback all combine for an experience that makes this game tippity top) but the general discomfort of VR detracted from the "zen chill" this game prides itself on more than the stuff flying at you adds... This all being said, while I loved Tetris Effect on PS4 the frame drops and input lag kept PPT as my favorite version of Tetris... Now that it's on PC and running flawlessly, I have a new king!

Funkybee

Feb 20, 2019
I'll get this when it goes on sale for <$10. It's a greatly made game but honestly I have the previous handheld versions and don't see spending $40 on another Tetris game no matter how perfect it is. I'd rather spend it on some exclusive game for console.

luca

Oct 25, 2017
I think I'm super close to buying this. I don't play games anymore, but Tetris is the one I do - loving Puyo Puyo Tetris - and I've been waiting on Tetris Effect to hit PC since I no longer have a PS4.

I really do want to practice that t-spin cause I'm not used to it at all.

Are there any good tutorial videos out there explaining and showing off the different skills? I recon there's another spin besides the t-spin as well?

sweetmini

Jun 12, 2019
I think I'm super close to buying this. I don't play games anymore, but Tetris is the one I do - loving Puyo Puyo Tetris - and I've been waiting on Tetris Effect to hit PC since I no longer have a PS4.

I really do want to practice that t-spin cause I'm not used to it at all.

Are there any good tutorial videos out there explaining and showing off the different skills? I recon there's another spin besides the t-spin as well?

The game has a rudimentary video tutorial on the techniques (pretty simple), but most are mastered by going through the effects mode challenges, it's part of the game progression. i think Puyo Puyo Tetris tutorial was more extensive on the tetris part.

Funny thing, i had the same bug i had on ps4 in stratosphere once (only the background rythm and base accompanying track playing) in my first playthrough on PC, but contrary to the PS4 it did not survive going to the next level xD

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017

I'm a huge VR nerd with three headsets and I actually prefer Tetris Effect outside of VR. It looks incredible and is equally as engrossing. I just think it looks better on my TV at 4K with HDR than it does in a headset.

Dec 3, 2018

I have played it on my original Vive and Rift now and to be honest I much prefer the game out of VR. Shame as I was desperate to try it because I don't have a PSVR. The drop in resolution is my main issue, also my monitor has far better colours.

Dinjoralo

Oct 25, 2017
They do have the weekly rituals still, and it does seem enough people are playing to meet the goal, which is surprising to me.

OnionPowder

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Orlando, FL
Wow

I just realized I can change my starting level speed on Marathon and I still get to clear 150 lines. I don't know why I didn't realize that lmao.

Just did a run where I started on level 13 and managed to get 446k. Finally got my S rank on that. I've been stuck on B rank since it came out on PS4. My previous best was like 240k starting on Level 1.

Only classic I need S rank on is Ultra. I don't know if I can do that without finally learning how to set up t-spin doubles consistently.

viBypSM.png

Feels so nice to have a good tetris game I grind out on PC. This game came out at the perfect time for me.

Oct 25, 2017
New York City
It's so weird how this is the game that shows down my PC on max settings, lol. All those particle effects don't come cheap.

Really fun, though. Played 3 or 4 "strings" of Journey mode on Expert so far. Loving some of the themes.

luca

Oct 25, 2017
Is there a Friends Ranklist on there? So let's say we all add each other (is this done on Epic Games Launcher or in the game itself?) we can see each other's scores?

OnionPowder

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Orlando, FL
How does it run on a 1080?

I have a 1080 and it runs great at 1080p with 150% resolution scale.

There are tons of better Tetris games out there tbh. As a Tetris game, it isn't all that good.

I don't think I could list off a ton of better ones that i've been able to play.

I don't see anything wrong with it as a tetris game. The fundamentals are solid as hell. Feels precise and fluid. The effect modes are all awesome as well. Some of them are a bit silly, but nothing wrong with that. Endless marathon, chill marathon, master mode, ultra and sprint all feel fantastic.

I could be fine with my classic NES tetris and Tetris Effect until I die and be a happy man.

Gray

Oct 25, 2017
I'm considering getting this during the current PSN sale. I'll mull it over for another day or two.

Dinjoralo

Oct 25, 2017
Have you tried 1440p? I assume all the particle effects might tank the fps if I went any higher than 1440p
I have a GTX 1080 and run at 1440p. It runs really smooth at 150% resolution scale, but it depends on the backdrop. Most areas stay around 120 FPS, some go to around 70. I could turn the resolution scale down but UE4 just has bad IQ unless you do some downscaling.

Bakercat

Oct 27, 2017
'merica
I have a GTX 1080 and run at 1440p. It runs really smooth at 150% resolution scale, but it depends on the backdrop. Most areas stay around 120 FPS, some go to around 70. I could turn the resolution scale down but UE4 just has bad IQ unless you do some downscaling.

Thanks, good to hear. As long as I get 60 fps I'm happy.

luca

Oct 25, 2017
Hoping this runs 60fps on a GTX 780 on a 1080p resolution. That's all I'm asking.