• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

benzopil

Oct 25, 2017
Eurogamer -- Essential

TheSixthAxis -- 10/10
At times spiritual, transcendental and zen-like, at others excruciating, heart-poundingly tense and eye-wateringly immersive, Tetris Effect is game of the year material and essential on PlayStation VR.

SquareXO -- 10/10
I had no issues whatsoever with Tetris Effect, it sucked me in and left me mesmerised. If that's the Effect the developer was after then it certainly succeeded.

PSU -- 10/10
One of the greatest games ever made returns and finds a perfect evolution in Tetris Effect. The result is a timeless take on that best puzzler ever, and one that gives PS4 owners a true Game of the Generation candidate. This truly is Tetris 2.0.

VentureBeat -- 9.5/10
I consider myself lucky that I got to play this game. It's special. If I could go back in time to show a video game to artists from the last century, I would choose this. God, I know that sounds hyperbolic, but I mean it. It is such an effortless and mesmerizing marriage of perfect game design and powerful imagery and audio. And it is an interactive lesson in why those things matter to games.

Push Square -- 9/10
Tetris Effect takes you on an emotional rollercoaster through oceans and to other worlds. While its striking audiovisual achievements sing on a standard screen, virtual reality elevates the experience to euphoric new levels. And yet, for all the chatter of spiritual awakenings, there's a damn good game of Tetris here, bursting with inventive modes and beautiful visuals which will keep you hooked for potentially hundreds of hours.

GamePlanet -- 9/10
The almost perfect marriage of elegant game design, evocative audio, and stunning visuals delivers a gaming experience far richer and affecting than I could have possibly imagined. It's not without a few flaws, but they are easily forgotten almost as soon as they have passed.

CriticalHit -- 9/10
Tetris Effect is a visual and auditory treat that bombards your senses with exploding colours and punchy electronic songs. But it's real triumph is combining this with the delicate nature of Tetris, retaining the precise gameplay while also marrying it effectively with the beat of a drum. Tetris Effect is meditative, exciting and incredibly difficult to put down.

Gameblog : 9/10 (Editor's Choice)

Metro -- 9/10
A masterful reimagining of Tetris that changes little about the core gameplay but still manages to create one of the most immersive video games ever.

GameSpot -- 9/10
Tetris Effect is a transformative game that will more than likely be overlooked by people who think it's "just Tetris." Well, it is and it isn't. Anyone who knows Tetris can pick up Tetris Effect and begin playing right away. The fundamentals remain the same; it is a time-tested formula that continues to work, after all. But Tetris is just the beginning of Tetris Effect. It provides the foundation for a complex emotional journey that defies expectations. Its a vector for meditation. It's a driving force that pushes you beyond your presumed limits. It is the definition of awesome, and if you have an open heart and an open mind, you owe it to yourself to take the plunge and see why it's anything but "just Tetris."

GamingBolt -- 9/10
Tetris Effect isn't just Tetris as you remember it. It's a completely new experience that's meditative at times and wholly engulfing in others. Whether you like it challenging or enrapturing, Tetris Effect will appeal to the fan in you.

Game Revolution -- 7/10
Optional virtual reality support, an outstanding soundtrack, and vibrant visuals merge beautifully and help enhance its captivating gameplay loop in a way the oft-ported franchise has never seen. Some punishing design aspects and unceremonious jumps in difficulty do, however, tamper with some of the enchanting atmospheres its disparate elements work so hard to create. But those areas where Tetris Effect drops the ball doesn't completely negate how good the classic puzzler still is at dropping blocks.

Last edited:

luciddre4m

Oct 25, 2017
NY
I've been waiting for this. I'm considering buying a PSVR for this game.

Anyone have any insight as to why the embargo was lifted so late?

OddSock

Oct 27, 2017
South Africa
Our review.

https://www.criticalhit.net/review/tetris-effect/ - 9/10

Tetris Effect is a visual and auditory treat that bombards your senses with exploding colours and punchy electronic songs. But it's real triumph is combining this with the delicate nature of Tetris, retaining the precise gameplay while also marrying it effectively with the beat of a drum. Tetris Effect is meditative, exciting and incredibly difficult to put down.

Sense

Oct 25, 2017
Gonna wait a month or so to see if the price drops to between 20 and 25 during the holiday promotions

Tarot Deck

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Of course it would have this kind of scores.

It's fucking Tetris made by Mizuguchi. What did you expected?

OP
OP
benzopil

benzopil

Oct 25, 2017
Our review.

Added

Kenzodielocke

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, its a pretty good game from what I have played in the limited demo, though I still will wait for a sale.

Danzflor

Oct 27, 2017
I would never, ever believed you if you told me a decade ago that a Tetris game was going to be, someday, Game of the Year contender.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
Yesssss. Best game ever gets a great new version from a master of puzzles and music. Having a phenomenal time with the game.

Raxus

Oct 26, 2017
GotY

Fucking Tetris

I kid somewhat. It looked great so this isn't a surprise. Can't wait to play it.

funo

Oct 27, 2017
Our review.

Thank you so much for including playthroughs of all the different levels.
The soundtrack is freaking mesmerizing, wow!

To be honest, I never liked Tetris that much, but I'd play the sh*t out of this game just for the soundtrack alone!

Nintenleo

Nov 9, 2017
Italy
Big fan of Tetris here, simple question for anyone playing the game. Is it a great experience even without VR?

get2sammyb

Editor at Push Square
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
UK
Play it with PSVR if you can. It's great on a standard screen, but it's mesmerising in virtual reality.

Dphex

Oct 27, 2017
Cologne, Germany
game is stunning, played 5 hours already. lot of modes, mindblowing stages. with headphones this game is pure bliss, one of the best experiences of the year...

Deleted member 8752

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I would never, ever believed you if you told me a decade ago that a Tetris game was going to be, someday, Game of the Year contender.
Imagine back in the 90s placing Tetris on Game Boy someone telling you that one day you're going to put on a helmet to play this game and it's going to be amazing.

Pariah

Oct 29, 2017
I must resist the temptation for a few weeks. Having played the demo, it all sounds relatable. This game is something special.

Xenosaga

Oct 27, 2017
DrkkRxsUwAANTVH.jpg

JustTom

May 28, 2018
Germany...
I played the demo, non-vr and vr, and to me it justed felt and looked like Tetris.
Can someone clue me in, please? I struggle at figuring out what is so special about Tetris Effect...

GTAce

Oct 27, 2017
Bonn, Germany
Holy shit at those scores, I knew this would be something special.
Now I just need to finish RDR2, BoTW, Mario Odyssey and all the other games I still need to play....
How in Glob's name am I supposed to play all those awesome games?