• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Slime Stack

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Puerto Rico
It's true, Puyo players wreck high level Tetris players. I couldn't compete in mixed matches and I'm pretty damn good at Tetris.

But Tetris is still more fun.

Puyo are at a huge disadvantage against Tetris players. Tetris players have both better offensive options with 4 wide combos and better recovery options from harassment due to how the tetris trash blocks work. Puyo players have slower set up speed and have to deal with harsher harrassment due to puyo trash actively interferring with certain chain set ups.

The match up is actually so bad that most professional Japanese puyo players ditched PPT to play the Puyo Chronicles before Puyo esports came out.

I'm sure you're pretty good at Tetris but this post is grossly misinformed. Tetris is more fun tho.

Last edited:

Venat Fan

Oct 29, 2017
In Tetris, hundreds of blocks drop into the game.

In battle royale, a hundred players drop into the game.

There is a direct lineage here.

lt519

Oct 25, 2017
Puyo are at a huge disadvantage against Tetris players. Tetris players both better offensive options with 4 wide combos and better recovery options from harassment due to how the tetris trash blocks work. Puyo players have slower set up speed and have to deal with harsher harrassment due to puyo trash actively interferring with certain chain set ups.

The match up is actually so bad that most professional Japanese puyo players ditched PPT to play the Puyo Chronicles before Puyo esports came out.

I'm sure you're pretty good at Tetris but this post is grossly misinformed.

I'll certainly defer to you, I know nothing of the competitive scene.

I thought it was always interesting how the matches played out but I never quite figured out the top tier players. I just looked up my old GAF posts and when I stopped playing my overall record (including mixed) was 106-26 and I hit 4700 for points but I remember climbing near 5000. I think that was close to top 2000 (maybe just US?) on Switch at the time (I backed out of playing against low ranks, not to rank whore, it just wasn't fun for anyone). I was definitely matching against the top 500 world wide often.

I was getting fairly proficient at chaining T-Spins, but I couldn't handle players that played purely T-Spins.

Either way, Puyo on players gave me fits at first. I would dump garbage on them fast, often 3 rapid Tetris and/or T-spins and next thing I know I'm completely trashed. Especially against top 500 Puyo players. Then it just became a giant game of cat and mouse of who was going to dump garbage first and I actually ended up stalling with the other players. We'd just watch each other waiting for someone to make a move. Really bizarre strategies born out of it, it was no longer just chaining Tetris as fast as I could. Never fully figured out the best strategy against them, but hell if they weren't awesome matches and a ton of fun.

Thanks for the correction though! Glad Tetris is still king (:

Giga Man

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
It's all connected.
We're all together in this life.
Don't you forget it.

KDR_11k

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
Bomberman was the first battle royale. You search for random items as your search gets you closer to other players, it's last man standing and after a while the playfield gets smaller with blocks being thrown in at the edges.

How does a 10 combo work in tetris if all blocks are made up of four pieces?

Unless you combo means rows not columns.

Tetris combos are clearing lines with each tetromino drop in a row. I think the number of lines doesn't count into the combo, just the number of pieces you dropped in a row while clearing at least one line with each of them.

Slime Stack

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Puerto Rico
I'll certainly defer to you, I know nothing of the competitive scene.

I thought it was always interesting how the matches played out but I never quite figured out the top tier players. I just looked up my old GAF posts and when I stopped playing my overall record (including mixed) was 106-26 and I hit 4700 for points but I remember climbing near 5000. I think that was close to top 2000 (maybe just US?) on Switch at the time (I backed out of playing against low ranks, not to rank whore, it just wasn't fun for anyone). I was definitely matching against the top 500 world wide often.

I was getting fairly proficient at chaining T-Spins, but I couldn't handle players that played purely T-Spins.

Either way, Puyo on players gave me fits at first. I would dump garbage on them fast, often 3 rapid Tetris and/or T-spins and next thing I know I'm completely trashed. Especially against top 500 Puyo players. Then it just became a giant game of cat and mouse of who was going to dump garbage first and I actually ended up stalling with the other players. We'd just watch each other waiting for someone to make a move. Really bizarre strategies born out of it, it was no longer just chaining Tetris as fast as I could. Never fully figured out the best strategy against them, but hell if they weren't awesome matches and a ton of fun.

Thanks for the correction though! Glad Tetris is still king (:

I can definitely understand where you're coming from as I've had the same frustrations as you! Unfortunately I believe Tetris and Puyo are incompatible to compete with each other due to how each game is fundamentally designed. It's just too unbalanced to enjoyed properly at most levels of play. Puyo demolishes Tetris due to how the Puyo board is set up for continuous harassment. Tetris players are just not fast enough to defend against the Puyo onslaught so they save up t spins and tetrises in order to defend. This is where the cat and mouse game starts and it's not very enjoyable. Once you reach high level play the opposite happens. Tetris destroys Puyo due to how the game rewords combo clears as I mentioned previously. It's a shame really.

Barn

Oct 27, 2017
Los Angeles
I came in here expecting to have my mind expanded, and the OP's argument literally boils down to "both games involve some modicum of strategy in some form."

And yet, my mind is still expanded.

Alek

Games User Researcher
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
You mean it has procedural elements? Yeah, it does... but that aside it couldn't be much more distinct.

Bomberman is a good model for the battle royale games. Procedural maps, looting, last man standing with an closing zone forcing players together.

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
This is amazing.

When I saw how old this thread was I was like....no, seriously???

OP is an insider confirmed. lol

low-G

Oct 25, 2017
No, Tetris is actually the first Chess because both are logical and you have to think and use your hands.

But kudos for funny coincidence.