• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

PogiJones

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

For some background, Lv. 29 was long considered a "kill screen" because you couldn't get your pieces to the sides fast enough. That was until hypertapping really began to be mastered by some players. Hypertapping is basically pressing the d-pad 11 or more times per second instead of holding it down for the automatic movement (which moves pieces at 10 moves per second).

Teenager Joseph is a hypertapping master, and he recently dethroned Jonas Neubauer to claim the title of Classic Tetris champion.

OmegaDL50

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Philadelphia, PA
Hypertapping basically gets around the input polling issue from NES Tetris.

I wonder if this technique works the same way on newer Tetris games. I don't know if this is specifically an NES Tetris thing.

HStallion

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I wonder what the highest level a person could get to before it's literally impossible for the human form to keep up.

Oct 27, 2017
It's interesting that it's doesn't even look THAT fast, I played Tetris Effect at faster speeds - I wonder how hard it controls on NES if that's how world record looks like.

Xypher

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
It's interesting that it's doesn't even look THAT fast, I played Tetris Effect at faster speeds - I wonder how hard it controls on NES if that's how world record looks like.
Classic and modern Tetris play very differently, for one the next queue is much shorter as well as that there is no hold, so you have to deal with whatever you get in every situation. Another thing is that there is no lock delay in classic Tetris, so you can't rotate pieces on the ground and do advanced techniques like climbing.

Oct 27, 2017
Classic and modern Tetris play very differently, for one the next queue is much shorter as well as that there is no hold, so you have to deal with whatever you get in every situation. Another thing is that there is no lock delay in classic Tetris, so you can't rotate pieces on the ground and do advanced techniques like climbing.
Thanks, it makes sense for me now, especially instant lock thing.

Oct 27, 2017
While generally true, there is some overlap. For example, Green Tea is top tier at both.

Sure, of course. But Classic Tetris is much more about managing your well, while Modern Tetris is all about speed clearing. And the newer rules (T-spins, piece holding, semi-infinite rotation, etc.) help you cope with the neck-breaking speed of Modern Tetris, something you just don't have in Classic Tetris.

The person was being humorous. It's a human thing.

I see. It was hilarious. A first post-worthy comment.

ASTROID2

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Is there a tas of this? I'd like to see how long it can go before the game can't render it fast enough.

Kivvi

Jun 25, 2018
Interesting why of holding a controller.
Congrats, I'd probably never pass lvl 10 or so.

Sixfortyfive

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Atlanta
It's literally physically painful to play the way that he plays it. Like the OP says, you have to be able to mash the d-pad at least 11 times per second to get around the game's built-in limiter for piece movement.

Is there a tas of this? I'd like to see how long it can go before the game can't render it fast enough.
The game speed maxes out at level 29; pieces fall 1 line per 1 frame and cannot get any faster from there. TAS videos have demonstrated that the game loops back around to the start if you clear 256 levels.

Oct 26, 2017
They're hexadecimal. The designers never intended for the player to ever be able to actually beat Level 30!
They look more like garbage values. Even in hexadecimal they don't represent the correct level numbers, or even consecutive numbers at that.
00 = 0
0A = 10
14 = 20
1E = 30

With how they seem pretty arbitrary at a glance the game probably has a table of level number strings and the game reads whatever other data is after the table in ROM because the devs never intended stage 29 to be beatable.
Yep

Fahdi

Jun 5, 2018
Not to shit on his parade because he did a great job, but isn't this guy technically better?

Watch till end.

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
They look more like garbage values. Even in hexadecimal they don't represent the correct level numbers, or even consecutive numbers at that.
00 = 0
0A = 10
14 = 20
1E = 30

Yep

They do represent consecutive multiples of 10 in hex, which seems to be too much of a coincidence, and certainly not random memory garbage. I'd be willing to bet level 34 displays at "28", 35 as "32", and so on.

Actually, this should be easy to check with cheat codes / game genie / etc. Anyone bored enough? :D

Cantaim

Oct 25, 2017
The Stussining
Oh I did that years ago in my free time. Thought it was super easy. Surprised other people struggled with that. Only took a few hours to get down. And that is counting the time it took me to play Tetris for the first time and beat all the other levels. Those were a good 2 hours

Sixfortyfive

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Atlanta
Not to shit on his parade because he did a great job, but isn't this guy technically better?

Watch till end.

You can't directly compare the two. TGM is a faster game, but it also allows you to make certain movements that aren't possible on NES.

They do represent consecutive multiples of 10 in hex, which seems to be too much of a coincidence, and certainly not random memory garbage. I'd be willing to bet level 34 displays at "28", 35 as "32", and so on.

Actually, this should be easy to check with cheat codes / game genie / etc. Anyone bored enough? :D
It's true for a while but not indefinitely. The level numbers get kind of random after a while, some last for an obnoxious amount of lines instead of the usual 10, and the colors get messed up halfway through this video.