• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Mirage

Oct 25, 2017
www.4gamer.net

Switch/PS4「アケアカ テトリス ジ・アブソリュート ザ・グランドマスター 2 PLUS」,6月1日に配信。2000年に発売された落ち物パズルゲーム

ハムスターは本日,「アーケードアーカイブス テトリス ジ・アブソリュート ザ・グランドマスター 2 PLUS」を,Switch/PS4向けに2023年6月1日に配信すると発表した。本作は,2000年にアリカから発売されたパズルゲームだ。前作より新モードが追加されてパワーアップしている。

View: https://twitter.com/tgm_series/status/1660586305460359168?s=20

Following the port of the first TGM game back in december the sequel is now getting a port for the first time ever as well.

Really exciting news to have this game finally getting a release outside of arcades. This one is probably my favorite from the series, the extra modes they added like Death are a lot of fun.

This one even includes a local multiplayer mode called doubles.

005.jpg

Kalor

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
That's great. Was hoping that they would be able to license more of them, played a ton of the port of the first game.

Dandy Crocodile

Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
Didn't the Tetris Company have some sort of stipulation that only one version of Tetris could be on a console at a time?
With Puyo Puyo Tetris/2 and Tetris Effect already on PS4, has that restriction eased up or am I just misremembering?

Fugu

Oct 26, 2017
I will probably pass on this port because I cannot imagine playing TGM with any controller I can connect to a Switch, but I'm glad to see Arika doing TGM things. I would love a reasonable and legal way to own TGM 3, to say nothing of how exciting it would be to get a real sequel (sorry ACE fans).

Fugu

Oct 26, 2017
I missed TGM1 coming out. Does 2 make 1 obsolete?
No - they're all different.

TGM 1 lacks sonic drop, which is the function that lets you instantly drop a piece to the bottom of your stack without locking it in (until the lock delay runs out or you lock it in manually by pressing down). This may sound like a minor change, but it means that the sub-20G sections of the game in TGM1 are a lot slower and require different skills, like rather aggressively upstacking.

TGM 2 also introduces the M-roll while also generally increasing the requirements to get grades above S9. The combined effect of these two things is to make getting the highest grade significantly more difficult while also gating it behind an invisible Tetris segment. In TGM 1, you get the top grade "simply" by playing the normal segment of the game consistently and quickly; TGM 2 introduces a host of other requirements which some people like and some people don't.

OP
OP
Mirage

Mirage

Oct 25, 2017
I missed TGM1 coming out. Does 2 make 1 obsolete?
TGM1 is still worth playing, and it's much more achievable to reach the Grand Master rank in the main mode. It only has soft dropping on to the stack in the lower gravity sections, and also after it reaches 20g(pieces spawning on top of the stack) it doesn't increase in speed.

So it's a good place to start as a new player. And offers its own unique challenges to improve time because you want to stack differently in the start. That being said TGM2 aka TAP is also a fine place to start with, and has more modes.

Piccoro

Nov 20, 2017
I will probably pass on this port because I cannot imagine playing TGM with any controller I can connect to a Switch, but I'm glad to see Arika doing TGM things. I would love a reasonable and legal way to own TGM 3, to say nothing of how exciting it would be to get a real sequel (sorry ACE fans).
TGM 3 is also coming soon, going by a tweet from the Arika owner...

Davidion

Charitable King
Oct 27, 2017
Though I'm only a casual TGM player, I still need to buy these ASAP.

Terror Instinct when? :D

Edit: Ooooh!

CenaToon

Oct 25, 2017
Non related to annoucement, but, watching the tetris movie, and some documentaries, i really love that tetris is kicking and alive now, and Alexey Pajitnov is getting paid good in royalties after all he's got through.

Mantrox

Oct 27, 2017
Yesss
Hard drop with delayed locking makes for such a nice gameplay feel improvement over the original title.

Also where's TGM 4 at, right now?
Weren't they cooking something on that end?

Fugu

Oct 26, 2017
TGM 3 is also coming soon, going by a tweet from the Arika owner...
I wonder if TGM 3 essentially being a Windows game means we'll get a PC version. I'm not counting on it, but it'd be nice.

If not, I'll have to figure out how to get an arcade stick going on switch...

virtua_44

Jan 16, 2019
Is this good for someone wanting to play tetris casually? Every video on youtube suggests this is a hardcore experience

Fugu

Oct 26, 2017
Is this good for someone wanting to play tetris casually? Every video on youtube suggests this is a hardcore experience
You can definitely play TGM casually, but it isn't the typical Tetris experience. The main mode in every TGM game starts slow but picks up speed rather quickly such that a complete run-through is never more than around ten minutes of gameplay. It's not the standard slow burn survival experience that I think most people associate with Tetris; it's much more of a sprint than a marathon.

There's definitely a learning curve, and if the idea of playing a game casually for years and never coming close to beating it sounds bad to you then I'd stay away. But despite the series' reputation I'd argue that there's just about no better game for when you find yourself with 10-30 minutes to kill. Hell, that's mainly how I enjoy TGM these days.

BaconHat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I wonder if TGM 3 essentially being a Windows game means we'll get a PC version. I'm not counting on it, but it'd be nice.

Quick googling seems to point at arcade sticks tailor made for switch, so it seems there are some on the market.

LiS Matt

Jan 19, 2018
I didn't play the first one that came out semi-recently? (last 6 months?) as my PS5 had to go in for repairs around that time and I ended up just going back to 99. But I'll definitely be picking this up and finding I'm equally terrible at this version after being destroyed by ace last year.

Piccoro

Nov 20, 2017

The Arcade Archives series are usually PS4/Switch exclusive. Some NeoGeo games are also being released on mobile.

The are many good Arcade sticks for the Switch, mainly from the Hori brand.
Or, if you already have a PS/PC/Xbox stick, you can get a Brook Wingman adapter to connect it to the Switch.

Radokat

Oct 30, 2017
That's the best news of the day - really looking forward to it.

Now please make a perfect port of 3 and recognize that there's a market for those games.

Lafiel

Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
Just bought this on Switch. It's so fantastic to have this on the go in my backpack. I expect to spend hours upon hours on both this and TGM1.

Buy this game people! It needs all the sales it can get.

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
I have absolutely no experience with the TGM series, but the enthusiasm in here has my interest piqued. I love Tetris, but am by no means 'good' at it (do a few #1s under my belt in T99 count for anything? LOL).