• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 28, 2017
Too many cops will see a phone, or a wallet, or keys, or fingers in a glove, or a toy gun, and think it's a weapon. Reaching for your waist band due to a nervous reaction can get you killed. If they can't discern the weapon, or even if there is a weapon, they have no business discharging rounds into someone. Thus the only solution is no shots fired unless fired upon. Have them start wearing kevlar if they're that afraid of everything.
Yeah but that's different than "needing to wait for gunshots".

Deleted member 8860

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017

The local story states that the woman was playing video games with her eight-year old nephew moments before being shot.

"It was nothing nefarious or illegal about owning a fire arm, and they presented in no way that the fire lead to their use of deadly force," Merritt said. "The hardest part about it is I spoke with an 8-year-old who explained what it was like inside of the house."

Bonafide

Oct 11, 2018
"hmph you guys hate the cops but I bEt YoUlL hAvE tO cALl ThEm FoR hElP sOmEdAy"

i guess this guy is getting away with a hug too huh?

its all a sick joke nowadays, acab and so are their bootlicking enablers

JackSwift

Oct 28, 2017
Haven't read through the replies yet, but I'd like to see how someone could defend this bullshit. Fuck the cops.

matrix-cat

Oct 27, 2017
This motherfucker killed her through the window?

The idea of living in a country where you need to be constantly ready to drop everything and throw your hands up in the air at a MOMENT'S notice, even at 2 in the morning, even in your own home, on pain of immediate execution, just because a cop suspects you might be holding something, is just unbelievable.

Dullahan

Always bets on black
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Perfectly justified. She had 0.0000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000001 seconds to properly identify herself.

ACAB

Galkinator

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
Holy shit that is straight up execution, in her own house no less.
He literally shot her within a second of saying put your hands up without even identifying, it's like he planned to shoot anyway but did it for the protocol (which may indeed be the case).
Let's see how he gets away with this cause of course he will

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
How this can happen?

"I need to know if they are ok at home... oh damn someone it's at home, kill it"

BobLoblaw

This Guy Helps
Oct 27, 2017
This is such senseless stuff. A person should feel their safest at home. What's with this pussification of cops these days? They're scared of their own fucking shadows.

Deleted member 11413

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
What if a weapon is being brandished and pointed at others as an active threat?
That's not the situation we are discussing. If a gun is literally being pointed at them, then I can see an argument for it. Just holding a gun, or a knife, or any other object? Nope, shouldn't be justified. The reason being, that cops have used "I thought it was a gun" to shoot people holding all manner of household objects. At this point, simply holding something shouldn't give the police license to shoot you.

Police should be de-escalating situations. Police in other developed countries operate on those principles, why can't ours?

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
Folks I think y'all don't understand what a wellness check is.

Police come and if you are fine and well, and black, they remedy that situation by shooting you.

Oct 28, 2017
That's not the situation we are discussing. If a gun is literally being pointed at them, then I can see an argument for it. Just holding a gun, or a knife, or any other object? Nope, shouldn't be justified. The reason being, that cops have used "I thought it was a gun" to shoot people holding all manner of household objects. At this point, simply holding something shouldn't give the police license to shoot you.

Police should be de-escalating situations. Police in other developed countries operate on those principles, why can't ours?
Maybe you should read the source of the discussion that you're responding to. The person was not making a comment strictly in the context of this event.

Oct 28, 2017
I'm aware of that, but go ahead and don't address the rest of my post. I don't think their suggestion is unreasonable.
Uhh, I agree with you that cops should be prioritizing de-escalation. My only issue was the extreme the other poster was going in that direction. I don't really get the point of saying "that's not the situation being discussed" when somebody is giving an absolute statement.

Deleted member 11413

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Uhh, I agree with you that cops should be prioritizing de-escalation. My only issue was the extreme the other poster was going in that direction. I don't really get the point of saying "that's not the situation being discussed" when somebody is giving an absolute statement.
I think that their suggestion of "don't fire unless fired upon" is a good general rule of thumb and much better than the status quo. It's much easier to roll "or are in immediate and obvious danger of being fired upon by a gun pointed at you" into that, than it is to just let things continue as they are.

Complicated

Oct 29, 2017
Sucks that the best possible outcome for her was going to trial for killing a cop trying to break into her house. Probably get life in prison if that had happened anyways. Her life was over as soon as the police got involved.

ps3ud0

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Well that's murder right there, let's see what the justice system does about it.

Man the scary thought that she'll will be blamed for playing video games in the dark to justify her death :(.

How does a wellness check escalate to that so quickly? WTF aren't you announcing yourself to the occupants of the house even if they are possibly nefarious especially with backup...

ps3ud0 8)

HamSandwich

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Wtf she had a right to the gun at her own house. She could've been holding that gun and the cop still had no right to shoot her.

Luminish

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Denver
Having cops be the ones to do wellness checks is such a terrible idea.

Cops are literally explicitly trained to fear any hesitation and to put their lives above all others. And many of them see any mental illness as a sign you're dangerous. It's a terrible combination to add to the mix when all you need is someone to see if they're ok.

alex.magnus

Oct 28, 2017
Do cops just LIKE going into peoples' houses and shooting them? Is there something about the home environment that makes it better for them? How can this KEEP HAPPENING?
This motherfucker killed her through the window?

The idea of living in a country where you need to be constantly ready to drop everything and throw your hands up in the air at a MOMENT'S notice, even at 2 in the morning, even in your own home, on pain of immediate execution, just because a cop suspects you might be holding something, is just unbelievable.
I definitely agree. when I was 18 I wanted to move to the US, now I honestly would be too scared

MoonToon

Banned
Nov 9, 2018
This is just tragic in every fucking way possible.

The man thought he was being helpful by looking out. It's prob strange to have your lights on with your door wide open at night. Prob doesn't have her number either so he calls a non-emergency number to have someone check it out.

Woman is at home, relaxing ... gets fucking shot dead through the window without even a word of warning. Prob dies not knowing wtf is happening. OR, if you'd have the police bringing up how a fucking AMERICAN has a GUN in their HOME (as if that means anything in a nation that sucks the gun tit like there's no going back) you could maybe convince yourself that she had a gun and pointed it at him. There's nothing that looks like that, the body cam is pretty damn straight forward, they wont tell where they found the gun but I'm SURE they want you to think that maybe, just MAYBE she had a gun and pointed it at this strange man outside her window...

This Cop ... IDK wtf to say about him. Some shitty trigger happy cop that saw a dark person and pulled that trigger. I can't say how wellness checks are supposed to be done ... perhaps it's normal to not tell who ever is inside that you're a cop. But breaking into someone's home is not a crime punishable by DEATH so yeah, I don't think you should be shooting into fucking windows like you're John Wick or some shit.

But what do I know?

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
Man, she was up late playing games with her nephew. This cop has to pay, and examples need to be made. These cops can't go around shooting at the first thing that spooks them. Don't go in people's yard unless you have a reason to. Knock on the door, get an operator to call the house or something if she wasn't answering. She was gaming, could have been showering, or something else too, like not wanting to answer a knock at 2am. Geez man!

MilesQ

Oct 25, 2017
Second time I've heard of a cop shooting someone inside their home. The first time the guy survived and called out the cops BS, so sad it cost someone their life this time.

DrKelpo

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
It was a toy, but even if it's real....

let me get this straight.. you're allowed to own guns in this country, but if you happen to hold your gun inside your own home and some cop comes by unannounced, he just shoots you for holding a gun?

How is this acceptable in any way? Why aren't there riots over excessive police violence all of the time? You guys realize this is not normal, right?

Urban Scholar

Oct 30, 2017
Florida
Hello society.

Thank you so very much for again showing me and other Black folks how much you don't value our lives.

Thanks so much for showing us you would rather put a bullet in us in the matter of seconds.

Thanks again for the complete disregard of our humanity because of our skin color.

Thanks again white folks for never having the backbone to even ask your racist family members why they're racist.

Thanks again for taking the time to post on social media how this isn't America, when it's been like this forever.

Most importantly thanks again for the fact that most of you will hide under your privilege and say "I'm one of the good ones" without ever really doing anything to help us.

Thanks, I'll take my Black ass back to continuing not trusting society and working in saving 1 Black life at a time while most of you don't care.

Oct 27, 2017
Just saw the body cam footage and it's predictably as bad as I thought it would be. Doesn't even announce who he is. Just see's her through the window and tells her to put her hands up before murdering her. All in the span of three seconds.
Yeah that's just bad training and should be easily prosecutable. Not once did I hear police etc and why was his gun drawn if it's a wellness check

Kneefoil

Oct 25, 2017
It just keeps happening, my friends.

The US police are uniquely awful and they even don't have the self-awareness to realize it.

Oct 25, 2017
Man, she was up late playing games with her nephew. This cop has to pay, and examples need to be made. These cops can't go around shooting at the first thing that spooks them. Don't go in people's yard unless you have a reason to. Knock on the door, get an operator to call the house or something if she wasn't answering. She was gaming, could have been showering, or something else too, like not wanting to answer a knock at 2am. Geez man!
If only the fucker would've paid with his life.
This fucking pig should be hanged.

LastCaress

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
So let's say you have a police force that goes to residences unannounced and is trained to shoot on sight and you also have a population that is heavily (legally) armed, how is this going to end well?

Wamb0wneD

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
He didn't even finish his sentence before he started shooting, on a wellness check. What. The. Fuck.

Sheev

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Curious that I'm not seeing all those folk who were stanning for the cops in my thread the other day. 🤔

Rest in peace, and fuck cops.

Mathieran

Oct 25, 2017
If you want to check on someone's wellness...shouldn't you knock on the front door or something? WTF is the reason in creeping around like a damn criminal?

Wellness check should be to ensure wellness, not end it

dragonbane

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
This is so disgusting. Expecting there is an armed intruder inside is fine, but Jesus US cops stop shooting immediately before accessing the situation which is your goddamn job.

It really must be rooted in the training and good old racism