• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017

imrs.php

A black Texas student might miss out on his senior prom and his high school graduation ceremony because he wears dreadlocks.
DeAndre Arnold, 18, has been growing his dreadlocks since he was a seventh-grade student in the Barbers Hill Independent School District in Mont Belvieu, he told Fox 26 Houston.

DeAndre's father, David Arnold, is of Trinidadian descent, and men in his family often grow their dreadlocks past hip length, the teen told KPRC.

As his hair grew, he and his mother, Sandy Arnold, would cornrow it down or intricately tie up his locs in a voluminous dark brown and honey gold bun to make sure his hair was off his collar, away from his earlobes and out of his eyes so he could meet the school district's dress-code policy.

Her styling was no longer enough for the school, Sandy Arnold told Fox 26 Houston. Right before the school's winter break, she and her son were called into the Barbers Hill High School principal's office, where they were given an ultimatum: Cut DeAndre's dreadlocks or face in-school suspension.

The Arnold family contends the dress-code policy concerning male hair was changed in the middle of the school year, they said in a Monday night school board meeting.

The school district is standing firm on its policy, which states male students can't have their hair "gathered or worn in a style that would allow the hair to extend below" the collar, earlobes and eyes when let down.

DeAndre's refusal to cut his hair has stopped him from returning to normal classes, and his mother claims his only other option is to consider attending a nearby alternative school, according KHOU-11.

"My hair has nothing to do with my 'excellence,' as we say in Barbers Hill," the teenager told the station. "How smart I am, what job I'm going to get — my hair doesn't determine that. I determine that for my character."

Gerry Monroe, the executive director of the United Urban Alumni Association, attended the school board meeting on Martin Luther King Jr. Day to scold the school board for not understanding the religious and cultural meaning of dreadlocks.
"I get it. You don't understand locs because ain't none of y'all black," he said to board members, who are mostly white, amid finger snaps and mumbles of approval.

What a fucking ridiculous group of people. I'm sure the girls are allowed to have long hair for their graduation with no problem

Deleted member 3812

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Fuck off with this hair discrimination!!! This is absolute bullshit and I hope this student and his family fights like hell to have him walk across the stage at graduation.

Violence Jack

Drive-in Mutant
Oct 25, 2017
I'm willing to bet everything I have that there are white girls in that school with longer hair that weren't told a fucking thing.

Oct 25, 2017
Perhaps an easier solution would be to review a 30-year old dress code policy that discriminates on gender, but then again, we all know the real reason they won't.

Lukar

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
That's fucking stupid. Let the kid graduate.

Finale Fireworker

Love each other or die trying.
Oct 25, 2017
United States
This is extremely transparent racism so I hope they sue the state.

Edit: I don't know what an "Independent School District" is but it sounds libertarian. Double sue them.
Double Edit: Oh, is it just a private school? Still double sue them.

Tom Penny

Oct 26, 2017
probably had long-haired white dudes walk w/o issue too.

They even have the barber on payroll

Schane Niemann, a barber, said he has known about the district policy for years and has seen boys in his chair because of the dress code. His shop is across the street from the school

"Every day we have kids coming in saying that the school makes them come over to get their hair cut because they're not in compliance," Niemann said in an interview with KHOU-11. He added, "It's by far not a race issue."

Nothing Loud

Literally Cinderella
Oct 25, 2017
Not surprised to see this in Texas.

"b-but Houston is so liberal and progressive!"

yeah well the Houston area is full of hateful white people that reluctantly live around racial minorities and absolutely despise it. Also the Houston school districts are shit, except for the award-winning, rich, suburban white districts helmed by white suburban moms (who probably have never done a corn row or handled black hair) and have internalized misogyny and racism inspiring their school policies and leadership.

"but this isn't in the REAL Houston area"

The greater Houston area is ginormous and arguably includes this district, but sure ok. Houston and Texas still has lots of racists running school districts.

Oct 27, 2017
They even have the barber on payroll

Schane Niemann, a barber, said he has known about the district policy for years and has seen boys in his chair because of the dress code. His shop is across the street from the school

"Every day we have kids coming in saying that the school makes them come over to get their hair cut because they're not in compliance," Niemann said in an interview with KHOU-11. He added, "It's by far not a race issue."

I don't usually look at youtube comments but i got curious and:

"Better title: Barber supports school policy that he directly profits from."

Lunar Wolf

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Los Angeles
Hmmm....if they do apply the same policy to white students then it's really more sexist than racist.

My Catholic high school had the same policy but they were stringent with everyone.

Regardless, it's an outdated policy.

Achtung

Oct 25, 2017
I'm willing to bet everything I have that there are white girls in that school with longer hair that weren't told a fucking thing.

I bet they have a policy where girls MUST have long hair. You can only imagine what they think of girls with short hair.

I grew up in a private christian school... the dress code was every bit of this sort of shit.

QuantumZebra

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Racism - alive and well in the US.

Being that this is a Trinidadian tradition - could this be a possible civil rights/discrimination issue that they can't paint as "Dress code"?

Tetra-Grammaton-Cleric

user requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
The Arnold family contends the dress-code policy concerning male hair was changed in the middle of the school year, they said in a Monday night school board meeting.

The school district is standing firm on its policy, which states male students can't have their hair "gathered or worn in a style that would allow the hair to extend below" the collar, earlobes and eyes when let down.

I have no idea how a public school can enforce such a policy. It's blatantly sexist and is an extreme overreach, essentially telling parents their male children can't have long hair?

WTF?

Hope they sue and win.

Fuck Texas.

Meatfist

Oct 25, 2017
Dress codes in most conservative districts are straight out of the 70's sometimes, mine was pretty much:

• Fuck people of color
  • Women are full of sin and should cover up accordingly
  • Beards and long hair are for dirty hippies
Tom Selleck mustaches were a-ok, though!

Kthulhu

Oct 25, 2017
If this was really about length they could just have him tie them up or something. There are probably girls that have longer hair then him in his class.

Dress codes in most conservative districts are straight out of the 70's sometimes, mine was pretty much:

• Fuck people of color
  • Women are full of sin and should cover up accordingly
  • Beards and long hair are for dirty hippies
Tom Selleck mustaches were a-ok, though!

Only kids at my school allowed to have facial hair were ones with a religious exemption. But yeah dress codes are way to strict.

IMO as long as you've got a shirt, pants, socks, and shoes on they should leave you be. Workplaces should get up to date on this shit too.

Loudninja

Oct 27, 2017
Petty, racist, jackasses you aint going to see him again hwy the hell do you care?

I also love how its all of a sudden and Issue NOW.

Nov 2, 2017
Birmingham, AL
My school had these type of hair rules, and I had longer hair growing up and was constantly in trouble for it despite being well behaved, quiet, and a loner who got all my work done. But fuck me for having longer hair. And then just a few years later I lost my hair, so life just keeps fucking me when it comes to my hair.