• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 23212

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I thank you mods for taking actions to try to ensure that this is a welcoming place. Now, things are definitely not perfect, and I think that there can still be more that should be done, but it's a start at least. Now, I myself may not agree with a lot of the popular beliefs/arguments here (for example I believe that promoting reform should be to improve the conditions of marginalized groups, rather than being the end goal itself, which would be revolution, I don't think non-voting is something that people should be viewed negatively for, etc.), but what I do agree is that hate speech should not be tolerated. Racism, sexism, xenophobia, homophobia, transphobia, etc. are all very damaging to those who have to endure such things.

Now, of course a common counter-argument is the "free speech" or "marketplace of ideologies". Now, it is true that a lot of hateful speech is protected under freedom of speech laws, but guess what, ResetEra is not a government entity determining free speech. There are plenty of forums where you are free to be a bigot, let us have one site as a safe space for the underrepresented and marginalized.

Now, the road is obviously a never-ending one. Bigots will come and go here, but we have to ensure that their influence here reaches a minimum. As stated before, I think while it is commendable that the mods are taking action, that more does need to be done as we are never perfect and improvements can always be made. What is important is that minority groups are contacted and their input is given on how to improve the forums in a manner in which they feel more comfortable. How to go about that, I'm not entirely sure, but I think ideas can be made. Maybe a committee where the members of the various groups vote for/nominate a representative to accumulate, organize and voice their concerns?

In any case, thank you mods for not giving in and for trying to stifle transphobia and other bigotry.

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
From all of us mods, you're welcome
liar.jpg

Deleted member 17092

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Much agreed and I would say this is an example of how moderation should be done on the internet. I've even shared that with a certain someone at a certain place.

B-Dubs

That's some catch, that catch-22
On Break
Oct 25, 2017
You're welcome. We appreciate the kind words, but as with all feedback we prefer to have these conversations in private.

mZpHkt3.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.