• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Christian

Oct 25, 2017
It's both. Dark Phoenix sucked but everybody knew Disney was about to reboot X-Men into the MCU so the entire movie itself is pointless. Casual fans aren't going to like it because it sucks and hardcore fans aren't going to care because there was nothing worth getting excited over.

Usually if something is really good, people want to see how it ends. I think you're overthinking it.

iareharSon

Oct 30, 2017
You know damn well this was the plan all along. The acquisition of Fox was a means to an end, and there were always going to be a ton of casualties.

CoolestSpot

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Mofos its not that hard. Release shit under disney name for disney brand, release under searchlight or fox for more mature or out there shit.

Deleted member 6730

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Danteyke223

Banned
Oct 24, 2018
Man I just feels Disney is just going to make PG-13 movies and most Fox things are getting shit canned. Also probably no Alien movie or Predator for decades... cause you know.. marketability vs actual R rated movie. God Disney is full of pansies

Christian

Oct 25, 2017
Dark Phoenix was never intended to be the end though.

It doesn't matter. If the movies that came before it were great, even if it wasn't meant to be a conclusion, people would still want to take the opportunity to see actors play characters that they loved and enjoyed for years. No one cared, because the franchise had been driven into the ground.

Oct 27, 2017
Man I just feels Disney is just going to make PG-13 movies and most Fox things are getting shit canned. Also probably no Alien movie or Predator for decades... cause you know.. marketability vs actual R rated movie. God Disney is full of pansies
I honestly hope Disney sells the Alien/Predator IP to another studio. None of those franchises fit Disney's brand and they don't seem interested in releasing more adult oriented films under the Fox banner.

Richiek

Nov 2, 2017
I wonder if Disney would really alienate Taika considering the success of Thor Ragnarok and Love and Thunder in development.

MadLaughter

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
A thousand factors contributed to Dark Phoenix bombing:

-Director: Not a big name, inexperienced, the shaky parts of his resume (Writing Last Stand) won out against his supposedly good rep with studio/actors
-Cast: Fassbender & McAvoy are decently liked but not to Hugh Jackman levels, only thing people say about JLaw were that she seemed to not want to be there
-Rehash of one of the worst x-men movies
-Last main outing, Apocalypse, was a tremendous disappointment
-Disney acquisition: journalists and enthusiasts who get the word out knew that this franchise was coming to an unceremonious end NOT on their own terms
-Bad word of mouth in general from screenings and things, news reports of reshoots etc
-Boring trailers
-Bad reviews when it did actually come out
-Probably a bleed effect from the continued failing saga of New Mutants contributing to a general 'they don't know what the fuck they're doing'
-Chastain, their big new hire, was not even a major comics character

Probably a bunch of other things too, it really was a perfect storm.

spookyduzt

Drive-In Mutant
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Dark Phoenix bombed because everyone knew it was the end of Fox-men. Everyone will be in day 1 to see MCU X-Men so this is pretty weird.

Yeah, it's the first X-Men movie I haven't caught in theaters because I knew it didn't matter going forward. I feel like most people were aware of this as well, and we're all just waiting for a proper MCU reboot.

Saucycarpdog

Oct 25, 2017
The scathing takedown of Nazism may, however, prove a little too edgy for Disney brass accustomed to producing movies suitable for parents and kids. Searchlight has started to screen the film for its new parent company. Halfway through one recent viewing one executive grew audibly uncomfortable, worrying aloud that the material would alienate Disney fans. His unease may have been over the film's cutting-edge satire, but it was also an expression of the culture clash taking place as the two studios embark on their new union.
This is definitely worrying. It's just one executive sure but it shows the top brass at Disney don't share the same views as Searchlight. And I wonder how they would treat it if it wasn't being done by one of their Marvel directors.

TDLink

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

I mean, the last entries in both of series underperforming certainly doesn't help them. But those are known IP. I doubt highly that they're gone forever.
I honestly hope Disney sells the Alien/Predator IP to another studio. None of those franchises fit Disney's brand and they don't seem interested in releasing more adult oriented films under the Fox banner.
This isn't true as they're currently still planning to support stuff like Terminator.

Christian

Oct 25, 2017
I like to imagine that the one Disney executive is secretly a Neo Nazi and he's outraged at Taika's movie for nefarious reasons.

OP
OP
mreddie

mreddie

Oct 26, 2017
no one going to talk about naughty Tinkerbells?
I mean Disney kinda did that already
61AudPhH9ZL._SY445_.jpg

Surakian

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I don't think they expected the Fox execs to stop doing their jobs once the merger was announced. Fox stopped making decisions on movies for a year and a half which as a major movie studio is a bad idea.

I give them that, but everybody knew Fox had been mismanaging their film division for a long time now. If the public knew this stuff, Disney certainly had access to even more info that what we had, and I think they absolutely knew what was going on which is why we have to witness these theatrics right now

TDLink

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Terminator was already in post-production before they took over though.
Yes, but if it does well they'll make more. Partly because Cameron is involved more heavily and they want to keep him happy, but that doesn't really matter. Disney does see the value in those more R-rated FOX IPs. Obviously all of the past films in all of these franchises will end up being on Hulu as well.

Mariachi507

Oct 26, 2017
If they close fox searchlight I'm going to hold a grudge.

But hey, we're going to get X-Men movies that stick more closely to the source material. Everybody celebrate, right?

Sorry for the cynicism. This is directed at the people who could not care less while throwing their wallets at the Iger machine.

Oct 27, 2017
Yes, but if it does well they'll make more. Partly because Cameron is involved more heavily and they want to keep him happy, but that doesn't really matter. Disney does see the value in those more R-rated FOX IPs. Obviously all of the past films in all of these franchises will end up being on Hulu as well.
I don't really see a future for them with Disney though. Like you pointed out, the only reason they might stick with Terminator is because it's Cameron's baby.

AnansiThePersona

Started a revolution but the mic was unplugged
Oct 27, 2017
A bunch of cool shit is gonna be canceled now because Disney wants everything to make MCU or Star Wars bucks. This is trash.

KillingJoke

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I doubt it. X-men (besides Deadpool and Logan) was on a decline before they were bought out. If they couldn't forsee this bomb like literally everyone else then they're dumbasses.

Last edited:

Disco

Oct 25, 2017
If they close fox searchlight I'm going to hold a grudge.

But hey, we're going to get X-Men movies that stick more closely to the source material. Everybody celebrate, right?

Sorry for the cynicism. This is directed at the people who could not care less while throwing their wallets at the Iger machine.

Its pretty wack. Everybody going on about "bu bu touchstone" when Disney was acquiring fox but it's pretty clear all they care about now is IP stuff

Whether or not JoJo Rabbit pans out, searchlight is still on its death knell prolly

Oct 28, 2017
I wouldn't be surprised if Disney sold off Fox Searchlight like they did Miramax.

What happened to the "Disney will make Searchlight the new Touchstone!" talk that people said here before the merger?

Christian

Oct 25, 2017
There hasn't been a good Alien movie since 1986.

There hasn't been a good Terminator movie since 1991.

Please, clutch your pearls. FOX hasn't done anything but shit on the memories of these once proud franchises for DECADES. But, yeah, oh noz what will Disney do?!?!

D.Dragoon

Mar 2, 2018
The day Disney sells off valuable IP when they're business model is acquiring IPs for their portfolio is the day hell freezes over.

Mobu

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Yeah, Searchlight is gonna be dead by the next year

Oct 27, 2017
The day Disney sells off valuable IP when they're business model is acquiring IPs for their portfolio is the day hell freezes over.
But does Disney find them valuable? Because if they don't, they're just gonna sit on it for who knows how long. Disney doesn't seem interested in anything that doesn't have billion dollar potential.

RumbleHumble

Oct 27, 2017
Disney making it clear that this acquisition was far more about reaping IP that they'll play with on their own terms rather than actually keeping and supporting 20th Century Fox proper. I really wouldn't be surprised if the studio is completely gutted when all is said and done.

TDLink

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't really see a future for them with Disney though. Like you pointed out, the only reason they might stick with Terminator is because it's Cameron's baby.
But does Disney find them valuable? Because if they don't, they're just gonna sit on it for who knows how long. Disney doesn't seem interested in anything that doesn't have billion dollar potential.
I just don't think that's true. Alien and Predator are well known IP. They are not going to sell them. They're going to take a break as major films for a while, almost certainly, but that is largely because their last films did not do well. Alien: Covenant was meant to have a follow up but it was canned because of how that movie under-performed long before this merger completed.

I wouldn't be surprised if one or both of the IPs are utilized in some way in the television realm via Hulu or FX. I also wouldn't be surprised if Alien especially does end up getting another (lower budget) film attempt in a few years given how Ridley Scott likes to come back and try to make a push for it every now and then (in fact, Scott literally just confirmed a few months ago he was actively talking to Disney about it).

Even barring these creators like Cameron and Scott pushing for their continued use, Disney isn't oblivious to the value of these franchises. They're going to keep using them -- just probably not with the frequency that FOX had been. Disney also announced the other day they were going to continue the Planet of the Apes series.

ArkkAngel007

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Disney making it clear that this acquisition was far more about reaping IP that they'll play with on their own terms rather than actually keeping and supporting 20th Century Fox proper. I really wouldn't be surprised if the studio is completely gutted when all is said and done.

There was no chance of Disney continuing the Fox X-Men line, which 21st Century Fox themselves had killed off just fine on their own.

Anything else, not that anyone seems to care or look at anything that isn't Marvel, is too far out. I highly doubt Disney will let Aliens go to waste once they figure out how to handle that disaster, as it's at the very least a valuable merchandise avenue.

UberTag

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Kitchener, ON
If they cancel the Bob's Burgers film I'm gonna be bummed.
I believe it's too far along to go that route. Disney recently reaffirmed the film's planned release for next July (so it's less than a year away).
Plus, I imagine the production budget isn't all that ghastly compared to other Fox theatrical endeavours. It should do fine even if it only amasses a modest $50-60 million from the domestic box office.

OP
OP
mreddie

mreddie

Oct 26, 2017
Fuck, that Monopoly McDonald's thing sounded good but I guess it would messed with the Disney deal they have with McDonald's.

DevilMayGuy

Oct 25, 2017
Texas
Given that Deadpool consistently breaks the fourth wall, why not just have him quip about being in a pg13 movie, like complaining that he can't curse or whatever

Deleted member 225

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's cool. I still get keep my above average capeshit, Star Wars sequels made by people who don't like Star Wars, and of course endless, soulless remakes of movies I've already seen. What else do I need?

deathsaber

Nov 2, 2017
These losses will be temporary. Dark Phoenix bombed because :

1. the quality of the fox X-men films has been clearly dropping since Apocalypse.
2 . everyone knows this is now a lame duck universe that already got the axe at time of release.

Bring on MCU Xmen and Fantastic Four, and (outside of Hugh Jackman's Wolverine portrayal) people will pretty much forget any of the past films exist. And honestly, I think Deadpool will be easy to integrate into the MCU. Just use less "fucks" and "shits" in his dialogue, or keep them, but bleep them out in a self aware 4th wall breaking censor (even have Deadpool himself comment on it to the audience)- but keep him just as crass and goofy and always, and all will be fine. Insert some blurry boxes over the gory stuff you can't do in PG13 (with Deadpool complaining about them)- it would actually be pretty funny.