• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Cross

Oct 25, 2017
I wouldn't be surprised if Disney sold off Fox Searchlight like they did Miramax.

What happened to the "Disney will make Searchlight the new Touchstone!" talk that people said here before the merger?
Seems like Searchlight role will be more similar to Miramax and 21CF role is probably more in line with Touchstone.

RumbleHumble

Oct 27, 2017
There was no chance of Disney continuing the Fox X-Men line, which 21st Century Fox themselves had killed off just fine on their own.

Anything else, not that anyone seems to care or look at anything that isn't Marvel, is too far out. I highly doubt Disney will let Aliens go to waste once they figure out how to handle that disaster, as it's at the very least a valuable merchandise avenue.
I think that's the idea. Just take the valuable IP out of what was Fox, and make your own movies (albeit under a different studio name than Disney) with it, burn the rest down. We'll see new Alien, more Avatar, maybe some Predator, and the occasionally remake/reboot, but not much else. I wouldn't be surprised if Disney torches the current iteration of Deadpool and creates their own for incorporation into the Marvel universe. No way in hell Feige would want to touch it otherwise.

And to anyone thinking Fox Searchlight stays alive, god speed.

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
Dark Phoenix wasn't the only problem with Fox's output really.

Well at least we can still look forward to the Avatar sequels, more Planet of the Apes and a new Home Alone......

Alien and Predator fans will probably be left waiting a long time to get new films now, thanks to this news and how Fox handled them. Although it's probably a good idea to let them rest a while anyway after the last few films.

shintoki

Oct 25, 2017
DP bombed because it was a PoS everyone saw coming a mile away.

I still think Spotlight will be fine. Pictures under 20mil that bring in acclaim and they seem to be a pretty profitable subsection of Fox. The films that are gone for good are ones like Love, Simon, Hate You Give, Bad Times, Maze Runner, etc. Disney doesn't do mid budget. I could still see one getting by every now and then at best. What is a question mark would be the larger pictures, but with no merchandising potential. But if I had to bet, We won't be seeing The Martian, Planet of the Apes, Kingsman either. Disney is more interested in their IPs and holdings

Alexandros

Oct 26, 2017
When people say that Disney is interested in Fox's IPs, what do they mean? What are they planning to do with all these properties?

Deleted member 25606

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
DP bombed because it was a PoS everyone saw coming a mile away.

I still think Spotlight will be fine. Pictures under 20mil that bring in acclaim and they seem to be a pretty profitable subsection of Fox. The films that are gone for good are ones like Love, Simon, Hate You Give, Bad Times, Maze Runner, etc. Disney doesn't do mid budget. I could still see one getting by every now and then at best. What is a question mark would be the larger pictures, but with no merchandising potential. But if I had to bet, We won't be seeing The Martian, Planet of the Apes, Kingsman either. Disney is more interested in their IPs and holdings
They have already announced they will be producing Planet of the Apes stuff, that's on the already active list.
When people say that Disney is interested in Fox's IPs, what do they mean? What are they planning to do with all these properties?
It means people don't understand that these IP's and the fact Hulu is a major part of their plans because they want to dominate and they need just as much adult content to truly do that.

I don't understand how brains can handle thoughts like "Disney is a monopoly and trying to own everything" at the same time as "they will kill it all and just sit on it while churning out what they already do and make everything Disney kid friendly " because these two thoughts don't work very well together.

vhoanox

Oct 25, 2017
Vietnam
So many articles about Fox in the last week, this totally smells like a PR movie from Disney to cut all undesired projects.
Iger wants to shape Fox into another Pixar, Marvel, Star Wars .... he wants an excuse. Like no one saw Dark Phoenix flopping, pls.

Oct 30, 2017
Disney screwing around with Deadpool would be stupid as hell.

The character already has been established with audiences, having both films be two of the highest grossing r-rated films of all time while costing less than pretty much all the MCU movies to make.

Last edited:

Alexandros

Oct 26, 2017
Disney screwing around with Deadpool would be stupid as hell.

The character already has been established with audiences, having both films be two of the highest grossest r-rated films of all time while costing less than pretty much all the MCU movies to make.

I'd say that Deadpool is guaranteed to continue as is, no recasting. As for the PG13 vs R rated thing, it could honestly go either way.

Chaos Legion

The Wise Ones
Oct 30, 2017
So many articles about Fox in the last week, this totally smells like a PR movie from Disney to cut all undesired projects.
Iger wants to shape Fox into another Pixar, Marvel, Star Wars .... he wants an excuse. Like no one saw Dark Phoenix flopping, pls.
My favorite thing is... Disney was largely gifted with those three brands. I wonder how shaping Fox in that mold will go for them, when outside of remakes, live-action Walt Disney Studios is hot garbage.

Oct 27, 2017
You'd rather leave the ending of Covenant just hanging like that?

Let him wrap it up, then let someone else start another story arc.
They'd be safer pretending that it never happened and forget about the silly retcons from those two movies. There's really no interesting story to continue. They killed off Shaw and Daniels wasn't as interesting. David is going to continue to do some mad scientist shit with a pretentious waffley theme of creation. Almost all of the colonists are going to end up dead and there will be a xeno outbreak.

vhoanox

Oct 25, 2017
Vietnam
My favorite thing is... Disney was largely gifted with those three brands. I wonder how shaping Fox in that mold will go for them, when outside of remakes, live-action Walt Disney Studios is hot garbage.

Here the top 10 Fox movies, take your pick. Kind of funny half of them belong to Disney already.

06d00437ed6ffb9634fcc0aee360e539.png

Almagest

Oct 28, 2017
Spain
They'd be safer pretending that it never happened and forget about the silly retcons from those two movies. There's really no interesting story to continue. They killed off Shaw and Daniels wasn't as interesting. David is going to continue to do some mad scientist shit with a pretentious waffley theme of creation. Almost all of the colonists are going to end up dead and there will be a xeno outbreak.
The third movie is supposed to tie into the first Alien, it's supposed to show us how the Queen comes to be, how the Alien arrives at it's last 'biomechanical' form we see in the original, wrap up the Engineers' story (which Scott confirmed would be back for the third movie) David's, Daniel's and the Covenant's crew ultimate fates, etc. There are a lot of story threads hanging that IMO need to come together so that the franchise move on.

I get a lot of people don't care about these movies but just handwaving them out of the way isn't going to help, the 'damage' is already done and it's ingrained in the series' canon forever, we might as well get some answers and resolution before we turn to the next page.

kiguel182

Oct 31, 2017
Do we know the state of the Bobs Burger movie?

I'm sure that won't make any money but I'm hopeful they will let it slide.

Ehoavash

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Lol how the fuck was 20th century fox worth $70 something billion when they had all these red flags

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
You're gonna get nailed for saying this but you're right. I thought Deadpool did much better overall on the comedic front than DP2 did. It leaned too heavily into throwing random swears out for the fun of it. Deadpool is better than that as a character.

I agree too.

WoahW

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Wait so people are upset shit like

Assassin's Creed 2
Play-Doh
Magic The Gathering
Hitman 2

Got canned? Like 75% didn't even have a script or anything done on them. It's no wonder why Disney looked at the last and went "yeah no thanks"

Chaos Legion

The Wise Ones
Oct 30, 2017
Oct 25, 2017
Absolutely shocked Disney has no interest in putting out films that they can't use to strong-arm theaters and the market into showing

Messofanego

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Lumberjanes would have been a great indie dramedy, what a shame that it's been cancelled and Disney are getting their grubby hands on other studios' film producing. It should be separate, Disney/Bob Iger should only care of films advertised with the Disney logo. Don't literally act like a parent company.

Mass_Pincup

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Embrace your endless remakes and sequels basically.

I'm very sad about Searchlight though, I wonder how long they'll manage to hang on.

Donald Draper

Banned
Feb 2, 2019
Wait so people are upset shit like

Assassin's Creed 2
Play-Doh
Magic The Gathering
Hitman 2

Got canned? Like 75% didn't even have a script or anything done on them. It's no wonder why Disney looked at the last and went "yeah no thanks"
Way to selectively hand pick a few films nobody would be interested in among the many films that sounded great. You sure proved your point!

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
Criminal how the X-men and F4 properties have been handled. How did Carol fucking danvers get a billion dollar movie before the X-men?

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
I see we are still getting the 'Searchlight is doomed because one executive had an opinion that the movie might not work for the Disney audience' hot takes.