• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ExoExplorer

Jan 3, 2019
New York City
It's a really sad situation when people feel like they need to say this in light of the controversies. Of course, devs should never be harassed or sent death threats at all, let alone over decisions they probably never had a say in. Thank you for all the people who put work into making one of my favorite childhood games. Even though I am unhappy with the direction Gamefreak has decided to take the franchise, I hope those of you who are excited enjoy the game.

Deleted member 8791

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
It's an ever increasing workload. Graphics is the obvious part but old mons in new gens also get treated by new movepools and often changed stats and new abilities. I'll agree with their notion it had to happen someday, even if I disagree it had to happen now, but it's whatever.

But for some actual justifications:

"It costs too much."
"It takes up too much resources, we'd have to release games at a slower pace which doesn't work since the games are just a small part of the Pokémon chain of events."

Those are the key ones for GameFreak I imagine and I'm fine with anyone disagreeing with them but they are actual justifications.

Deleted member 8791

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I'll just say you must not follow gaming as closely as you think. The controversy surrounding dexit is a drop in the bucket compared to the vitriol aimed at games like Infinite Warfare and Mass Effect: Andromeda.
Usually games like that get it because they are unanimously considered bad and most people move on pretty soon. This is a game that hasn't even released yet and I presume few doubt it won't be at least solid.

AllChan7

Tries to be a positive role model
Apr 30, 2019
lol Compared to the heat almost every other gaming company gets this is the most mild criticism i have seen.
I think Game Freak will be fine at the end of the day.

The heat GF has gotten for the Dexit is almost comparable to some of the stuff you see from loot box outrage.

MachGao

Oct 28, 2017
I get having criticism towards GF and Sword and Shield but at the same time I don't really see any reason to attack people actually using the hashtag like it was intended.

Jbone115

Oct 25, 2017
Exactly. Pokemon conversation is vile, even on Era (which is supposed to be friendlier compared to other places on the internet).
Ultimately, this whole Pokémon controversy is about a video game that doesn't live up to some people's expectations - they didn't commit a crime or hurt anyone or exploit gambling addiction. Criticism is fine, but let's not go overboard.

Mezati99

Banned
Feb 6, 2019
Planet Earth
giphy.gif

Aww poor GF

Lentic

Oct 27, 2017
Gamefreak who has rested on its laurels for generations making minor improvements that most companies like EA would get raked over the coals for, finally gets some valid criticism and people jump to their defence. Hilarious keep it up.
Or maybe it's, "We might not like some of the changes you're making, but we're still thankful for what you've given us."

AKA being a decent and understanding human being who realizes that there's hate being thrown their way, and being able to put aside toys for a second.

AllChan7

Apr 30, 2019
I really cannot for the life of me understand why people get a kick out of putting game devs down in any capacity. And on a constant basis too. Glad to see some positivity for once and really hopes this cheers them up.

MillionIII

Banned
Sep 11, 2018
It's an ever increasing workload. Graphics is the obvious part but old mons in new gens also get treated by new movepools and often changed stats and new abilities. I'll agree with their notion it had to happen someday, even if I disagree it had to happen now, but it's whatever.

But for some actual justifications:

"It costs too much."
"It takes up too much resources, we'd have to release games at a slower pace which doesn't work since the games are just a small part of the Pokémon chain of events."

Those are the key ones for GameFreak I imagine and I'm fine with anyone disagreeing with them but they are actual justifications.
Costs too much? Too many resources? I don't buy that, this is just excuses for one of the biggest gaming franchise. This sounds like "Game Freak is a small indie company".

SkullHydra

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Feb 20, 2018
I really dislike a lot of decisions GameFreak has made with the last few games, especially Sw/Sh. But Pokémon is a franchise that I've loved my entire life and I've had many great friendships and experiences that have happened because of it.

After hearing about how morale is supposedly low at GameFreak right now, I feel like this is a good thing. People can still be critical of some of the choices in the games while thanking the developers for the many great things they've put into them.

AllChan7

Apr 30, 2019
I'm not bending over to soothe the spirits of some billion-dollar company and this shameless corporate bootlicking is definitely not the wave.

I'm not complaining because I never intended on buying the games and I wasn't going to play Gen 8 dex OU either, but the complaints have merit.

And of course, death threats and harassment never have merit.

No one is saying that. What people are referring to is the hateful comments that have been said about Gamefreak devs. Valid and reasonable criticism over their decisions is fine and I completely understand why people don't wanna buy the games. At the same time, its perfectly fine to acknowledge actual human beings worked on these games

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever
Sep 24, 2019
Anyone who thinks Game Freak is as scummy and predatory as EA is straight up delusional.
Pokemon is probably more like Star Wars where the goal is to release as many pieces of media within the IP as possible while tripling down on merch merch merch merch merch merch merch merch. Only difference being that Pokemon tries to coax people into making multiple purchases of the same game by releasing different versions where the difference from one to the other is intentional exclusion of Pokemon.

Xavi

Oct 27, 2017
Lightning for Smash
What does a comment from someone on 2ch of all places have to do with criticism?
*Twitter

Unless I'm missing some context here, this is a perfect example of the absolute ridiculousness of Game Freak stans constantly implying that any criticism of the company means you support genuine harassment, too. It's madness.
You seem offended by a single hashtag. I never said you are not allowed to criticize GF. Also, yes, you are missing some context.

Jun 10, 2019
I like movements like this, where fans can come together and share memories on Game Freak getting them through some dark times or whatever happy memory they're responsible for.

But I feel like movements like this prevent people from properly criticizing the company for whatever decisions they make. Yeah, GF is getting death threats, but it doesn't change the fact that some of the criticisms they are getting for their recent games haven't changed and they haven't done much to fix the problem.

Deleted member 8791

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Costs too much? Too many resources? I don't buy that, this is just excuses for one of the biggest gaming franchise. This sounds like "Game Freak is a small indie company".
You are fine to see it as excuses but in the end it's a business. As a fan you are free to disagree but "there's no justification" is still simply false.

That's my main issue with all of this, I'm pretty sympathethic with people upset with Dexit and my personal fav Chansey didn't make the cut but the level of argumentation is waaaaay to hyperbole.

Like GameFreak made a poster for the anime that had Venusaur that isn't in SwSh and somehow that's a punch in the face to some? That GameFreak doesn't act like Venusaur got thanos'd and still exists and will still be an important part of Pokémon?

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
To come into this Thank You thread to whine more about GF is on some next level stupid shit imo. But i haven't said or pretended to do whatever it is you say i'm doing. There is a time and place.

Also are you saying Gamefreak is going around harassing and sending death threats to their fans? I don't even know what your trying to get at me about to be honest?
No there are GF defenders who group anyone with the lightest negative thing to say about GF with the worst of the bunch to try and invalidate any criticism they have.

I agree with you that this shouldn't be another "complain about GF" thread but I also don't like the notion that everything is the complainers fault.

Toxi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I'd prefer to thank a developer for their recent work.

So #ThanksTeamCherry

Lentic

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, GF is getting death threats, but it doesn't change the fact that some of the criticisms they are getting for their recent games haven't changed and they haven't done much to fix the problem.
Then the people who have a problem should accept it and move on. No one is entitled to them making their game a specific way. Criticism is making your point and moving on. Continuing to pile on in a vicious manner until they cave into your demands is harassment.

Phendrana

Oct 26, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
You seem offended by a single hashtag. I never said you are not allowed to criticize GF. Also, yes, you are missing some context.
You've just clarified that it was an unrelated Twitter comment, so no, it turns out I wasn't missing any context at all.

What I'm offended by is the constant implication from some people here that criticising Game Freak means you support the crazy people who take things too far.

Dunban_Fyuria

Oct 27, 2017
Feels funny that I've been playing pokemon since red and the franchise is still going strong. I can't wait to try out Sword soon!

I'm glad some people feel comfortable enough to speak about how the series helped them through rough ti-
lmao there's no point trying to explain to idiots who don't care and won't listen
it's like ok boomer but for bootlickers
oh

I like how a couple of harmless tweets and people just saying "thanks for the games I loved playing in my childhood" brought out some pretty bad reactions but I'm not surprised.

ExoExplorer

Jan 3, 2019
New York City
I really dislike a lot of decisions GameFreak has made with the last few games, especially Sw/Sh. But Pokémon is a franchise that I've loved my entire life and I've had many great friendships and experiences that have happened because of it.

After hearing about how morale is supposedly low at GameFreak right now, I feel like this is a good thing. People can still be critical of some of the choices in the games while thanking the developers for the many great things they've put into them.
Yes, this is exactly it. I hope people can separate wanting to thank the devs for all the work they've done from people's criticism of the game. Unfortunately, there seem to many bad faith actors out there. People who actually harass devs and others who want to paint those with valid complaints as toxic.

funky

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Just dont buy the game.

If you have been continuity disappointing with GameFreak's output. DONT BUY THE GAME.

Its the only way to effect change.

Nov 15, 2018
Anyone who thinks Game Freak is as scummy and predatory as EA is straight up delusional.

They release a purposely gimped version first every generation then add features like post game, move tutors, etc. in the updated version 2 years later and charge full price for it. Then they gimp the first version by removing those previous features added again in the next generation and repeat. They don't sound any better than EA to me.

NoKisum

Nov 11, 2017
DMV Area, USA
I think the problem is that people who are against this movement for capitalistic reasons are mistaking that Game Freak and The Pokemon Company are the exact same people.

Jun 10, 2019
Then the people who have a problem should accept it and move on. No one is entitled to them making their game a specific way. Criticism is making your point and moving on. Continuing to pile on in a vicious manner until they cave into your demands is harassment.

These people have been mad about it for like what? 6 or 7 months? Let them be mad about it.

Game Freak won't cave into their demands regardless of how many people complain. If they did then Game Freak would've shaped up after XY

shadow2810

Oct 25, 2017
so now people saying devs gimped their game so they could add update years later

the fuck is this shit?

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
Given this thread is unlikely to produce any discussion, it has been locked.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.