• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

rockinreelin

Oct 27, 2017
I can help but think of a particular lowered expectations madtv skit that always manages to crack me up after reading through this thread.

Martinski

Jan 15, 2019
Göteborg
You can't think of anything else to do in public other than clubbing? Go to a local event you find interesting or something

how so

People are more picky in online dating than in real life. Or at the very least it's much easier to overcome someone's preferences when you are actually talking to a person face to face as opposed to as a photo and text.

I mean not very often, i tend to go to concerts now and then but it is the same there i usually go to em by myself as I don't know many people who are into doing it. You don't really chat people up at concerts either since most people there are part of group of friends and the like lol.

So nah I don't really see any event I would meet anyone Tbh.

Swedes aren't really extrovert unless they're drunk, I have never been approached by a stranger in my country and talked to me outside of drunks. Americans tend to be much much extrovert and vocal in general and just maybe I would've had more luck there in general since there people make small talk and randomly approach me sometimes like someone like a T-shirt I wear or such .. never ever here tho.

meowdi gras

Feb 24, 2018
This is rapidly becoming an incel thread when people keep performatively declaring they will be forever single
Well, I can't speak for others, obviously. But I'm certainly no incel. Just a 43 year old trans woman debilitated by severe mental illness, carrying the added bonus of ~$40k worth of debt. Not what I'd call prime relationship material.

AbsoluteZero0K

Alt Account
Banned
Dec 6, 2019
Subsitute "Church" for something actually interesting like social or outreach clubs and you gave good advice. Go volunteer at the local bike shop, independent media gatherings, go play DnD at the thursday night events, whatever.

Churches maintain multigenerational connections and massive networks. In fact, I know two gents who did missions trips in Utah and Japan and both found wives. A third met through mutual friends at a church gathering.

And here's the thing...don't throw out some lame, passive aggressive "oh it's funny how you just passed over that" as some way to accuse me of being insensitive on a topic that has nothing to do with my opinion on this topic. So again...don't act tough like you are going to jump through the keyboard...I don't need to argue every topic you mention with "to completion" because you see yourself as some ERA god...keep thinking I care anything about anything you my think about me in any aspect of life. And to double down...pretty sure there are ways to meet people outside of dating apps...vast majority of black people I know do not use dating apps. I don't care what your status is here or who you are. So, block and mute me and be done with it. You're trying to make some point that I need to discuss racial bias using the exact number or words you want, when you want it and how you want it...when my point is that if you are still using these apps consistently and hate everything about it, there is an issue here. There is nothing on these apps that anyone needs, full stop.

Wow so only tall and white people exist on Earth? Wow so other people just happened to come to Earth when Tinder started? What even is this nonsense?? Also, all this talk of shaming women for having their own standards is ignorant and close-minded...yes looks DOES matter to some people! But again, this is why I applaud people that leave these apps...people on the internet say things they think in real life and do things they wish they get away with in real life. Everyone on these apps live on Earth, and you can leave the app and talk to them. But hey, maybe you don't live on Earth...millions of black people just in the one city I live but I guess the existence of those apps removes people from existing in your world.

All the men in this thread saying "OMG so unfair my height"...I would LOVE to have a mind reader to see what you are thinking in real life, in real time, about women that you turn down or wouldn't agree to date...yeah sure, everyone in here just dates people solely on their personality! This is coming from someone that is 5' 8" and just went on a date with a woman that is taller than me via Tinder.

No, you are right that I do think it is ridiculous how you are reacting to my opinions...that is true..yes in my opinion you are taking this subject of my specific opinions too personally. My point was, my statements on dating wasn't targeted at you or anyone else specifically. And yes, you are triggered by my opinion on this and overreacting. And yes, your reaction is like someone would have if I "struck a nerve"...I don't know what nerve that is.

I'm criticizing how you are reading my posts and your overreactions to them, not your personal dating habits, which I haven't seen you post about yet.

And to double down...bravo for all the people here who tried online/app dating and realized it wasn't for them. Not...going into this death spiral of dating apps and ruining your life because you need to make a billion excuses why you are doing something that is toxic to your life with no reasoning.

BOOM...totally agree! This also works just as well IRL.

I missed the blackplanet train just in time to visit HBCUs to go to college.

There is no substitute. Like, you'll never in your life experience a better opportunity to meet someone.

CatAssTrophy

Dec 4, 2017
Texas
In these times, social dating apps really need to have a video chat function so people can virtually date

AFAIK only Bumble has it for the time being, but i only have Bumble and Hinge right now as all the others were insufferable shit holes or buried you in microtransactions and subscriptions just to get basic functionality. Bumble is already pretty bad about it, as a guy at least.

Lumination

Oct 26, 2017
In these times, social dating apps really need to have a video chat function so people can virtually date
Video chat isn't easy. And there's that inherent pressure to do so if the app supported it natively. If you're comfortable enough to video chat with someone, you should be comfortable enough to meet on another platform.

perfectchaos007

It's Happening
Oct 25, 2017
Texas
AFAIK only Bumble has it for the time being, but i only have Bumble and Hinge right now as all the others were insufferable shit holes or buried you in microtransactions and subscriptions just to get basic functionality. Bumble is already pretty bad about it, as a guy at least.
Hinge is the only app I pay for because it's not overpriced for what you get. 6 months for like $30 is a good deal

riverfr0zen

Oct 27, 2017
Manhattan, New York

4598.jpg

;) No way anyone would abuse that, oh no...

Hinge is the only app I pay for because it's not overpriced for what you get. 6 months for like $30 is a good deal

Have you had better results with Hinge? Before all this happened, I was looking into trying it.

CatAssTrophy

Dec 4, 2017
Texas

True. If things weren't the way they were now and I also had the money to spare I'd likely do the premium access on there if only to make browsing etc easier. (i get a lot of likes and people in my list that aren't in my distance settings, etc.)

perfectchaos007

It's Happening
Oct 25, 2017
Texas
4598.jpg

;) No way anyone would abuse that, oh no...

Have you had better results with Hinge? Before all this happened, I was looking into trying it.
Yes I have best results with Hinge. Sure you have the same issues of talking with someone and out of nowhere they either stop talking to you or deleting you/their profile out of nowhere, but at least I get matches semi regularly in Hinge where on tinder/bumble/coffee meets bagel my matches were few and far inbetween

Regiruler

Oct 28, 2017
United States
If nothing else hopefully the forced quarantine lights a fire under the asses of these companies to strip away some of their rediculous pricing models.

One site I use has fucking paid courses and ebooks ON TOP Of their premium subscription. Paid for one month to start messaging someone I didn't match with yet, but I'm sure as hell not going to pay any more.

Haven't gotten any matches on Hinge yet but the Catholic filter means I'm not going to bother going back to bumble which lacked it.

Calabi

Oct 26, 2017
If nothing else hopefully the forced quarantine lights a fire under the asses of these companies to strip away some of their rediculous pricing models.

One site I use has fucking paid courses and ebooks ON TOP Of their premium subscription. Paid for one month to start messaging someone I didn't match with yet, but I'm sure as hell not going to pay any more.

Haven't gotten any matches on Hinge yet but the Catholic filter means I'm not going to bother going back to bumble which lacked it.

More like it makes them double down. They know the majority of people on their services don't even get close to meeting or finding anyone on their platform and the audience will currently be even more desperate to find someone.

pixelation

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Can't say I have experience with dating apps, I downloaded Tinder and began to swipe... first picture that comes up is a girl from my block that I don't like so I hurriedly swiped... right. Dang... I deleted the app right there and then, now everytime she drives by in her car she stares at me.

Lulu

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I got so many dates lined up for after Quarantine

Mar 29, 2018
Churches maintain multigenerational connections and massive networks. In fact, I know two gents who did missions trips in Utah and Japan and both found wives. A third met through mutual friends at a church gathering.

I missed the blackplanet train just in time to visit HBCUs to go to college.

There is no substitute. Like, you'll never in your life experience a better opportunity to meet someone.
Why the bump?

Blegh, dating apps

OP
OP
Cow Mengde

Cow Mengde

Oct 26, 2017
Can't say I have experience with dating apps, I downloaded Tinder and began to swipe... first picture that comes up is a girl from my block that I don't like so I hurriedly swiped... right. Dang... I deleted the app right there and then, now everytime she drives by in her car she stares at me.

Did you guys match?

Next time, stand by your window with your dick out when she drives by. That's how online dating works, right?

GeminiX7

Feb 6, 2019
I met my fiancee on PoF, funny enough. I had joined the site that morning and she was like, the third person I had talked to.

Pall Mall

Oct 25, 2017
I got so many dates lined up for after Quarantine
For real, people are so bored right now. Even if only 20% come through for me it's still a higher average than I usually bat.

I'm getting the reverse effect where I feel like I'm going around in circles on Tinder right now. No one willing to entertain the idea of a date/getting towards that conversation with shelter-in-place being somewhat indefinite. App feels like validation/attention seeking more than ever atm.

crazillo

Apr 5, 2018
Now imagine everything from the article plus being gay. That means online is still by far your best option - and yet a very bleak one. Add to that the growing body cult where people only seem willing to date people who are at least considered "athletic". It's terrible, ghosting is common and some people don't even give feedback if you happened to have a date. Also, I'm the type of guy who likes to build a relationship on a strong sense of sympathy and good conversations, but I feel this gets rarer by the day - while all those superficial profile "checklists" get increasingly inherited with the market behaviour. I had some really good dates over the years as well, but they are all far and few between.