• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 25, 2017
Cincinnati
I don't believe this at all, well I can believe some people would like that, but not more than would prefer an at least somewhat in shape looking dude. Anyway all this negative talk about Planet Fitness hurts me, they are the closest gym to me within 30 minutes and I'm not driving that far dammit. Mine has free weights and a squat rack unlike some others it would seem lol. I also don't partake in Pizza Monday.

Mitch

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You have barbells that are not pre-loaded and DBs that go over 60 pounds? Squat racks or smith?
I don't know the specifics, since I only use the elliptical, but there are two squat racks directly in front of me, plus a pretty large set of free weights closer to the front of the room.

mikeamizzle

Oct 25, 2017
I think they used to ring the alarm lmao, I want to say when I was a member there (maybe 2009-2011ish?)? Can anyone confirm or was I just fever dreaming this.

edit: "ring" the alarm lol; I guess sound the alarm

Doober

Banned
Jun 10, 2018
This thread would be a graveyard with some of these comments if we were discussing women.

sgtnosboss

Nov 9, 2017
I expected a much different replies from this forum, but I guess I was wrong. I am a dad bod person and I definitely agree. I know that's biased, but until I met my wife I felt ashamed of my dad bod and honestly now I own it and am happy with my body. I always say now, as long as I don't have health issues or issues with doing labor in the yard, then I am fine with how I look. I am not super over weight, but I am definitely not skinny. 160 at 5'4

Wanace

Oct 29, 2017
Lol at the planet fitness shaming in here. People must be getting their knickers twisted because they aren't paying $10 a month for the exact same thing they pay $50+ for.

My planet fitness has free weights and squat racks both. And no pizza mondays. Just bagels and coffee.

Trice

Banned
Nov 3, 2018
Croatia
I don't know the specifics, since I only use the elliptical, but there are two squat racks directly in front of me, plus a pretty large set of free weights closer to the front of the room.

Fair enough. I've had the misfortune of going to PF when I was visiting family in Tampa, FL back in 2017. Noped the hell out of there because the workout I do in my gym was not at all possible there. It had no squat racks and no dumbbells over 60 pounds.

New Donker

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Not being able to see it as privilege is a pretty good sign of privilege. Plenty of people don't have the time or energy for much more than working enough to get by, much less anything beyond that.

I always hear the time and energy reason but nothing is ever presented that really supports it outside of a few very extreme circumstances. The vast vast vast majority of the population can find 2 hours total in their week to get moving a little bit more. Not even for weight management, that's diet. For your overall health. Saying it's a privilege provides these people with an "out" of why it's impossible.

julia crawford

Took the red AND the blue pills
Oct 27, 2017
Now if only the courtesy of body positivity could be shared with women too things would be so much better for everyone.

Draconestra

Avenger
Nov 2, 2017
This thread man, lots of confusion about what a dab bod looks like. I ain't gonna lie, I have no idea what a dad bod really looks like, but I can confirm that my girlfriend prefers me with a bit of weight on me and some muscle mass.

When we first met, I was pretty skinny, very fit, ran a 5K every two days or so. After we started dating, I kinda dropped on that routine, so like any couple, I gained some pounds, but I still went to the gym to do some weightlifting. I've gained some 25 pounds or so since I stopped running, but it's a mix between muscle and fat. My girlfriend absolutely adores it, but I hate it. Mostly it's because I no longer fit into my clothes and now I have to get a whole new wardrobe. It's also because I don't have the energy like I used to. I'm literally feeling tired all the time, and back then I had all this energy. Still, my girlfriend completely adores my current body and will tell her females all about it. Women are weird. 🤷🏻‍♂️

sgtnosboss

Nov 9, 2017
Its weird how this forum is normally body positive and then a talk about dad bods comes up and everyone thinks its disgusting.

Hopewell

Jan 17, 2018
I don't believe a lot of people are really more attracted to dad bod than to chiseled abs. However I heard a lot of women saying that being with a guy with a dad bod made them less self-conscious about their own bodies.

Oct 25, 2017
I expected a much different replies from this forum, but I guess I was wrong. I am a dad bod person and I definitely agree. I know that's biased, but until I met my wife I felt ashamed of my dad bod and honestly now I own it and am happy with my body. I always say now, as long as I don't have health issues or issues with doing labor in the yard, then I am fine with how I look. I am not super over weight, but I am definitely not skinny. 160 at 5'4
Era is weird about any sort of positivity regarding any overweight.

"blah blah, we shouldn't encourage them." It's weird every time.

Its weird how this forum is normally body positive and then a talk about dad bods comes up and everyone thinks its disgusting.
It isn't.

Idontwantit

Alt account
Banned
Jun 9, 2019
It wouldn't surprise me if the people with the nastiest comments in this thread are in the worst shape.

Deleted member 925

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
After I recovered from cancer I took my gym time seriously, I went hard and slimmed down but also had a decently ripped frame. Was I happy? Sure, I felt great at the beach or in selfies I took to show off on Grindr, but I constantly turned down things like going out to drink or going out to eat with friends.

I still go to the gym 5 days a week, but now I don't refuse to go out or do things that might have held me back from before, like enjoying a good meal. I'm 37 and want to live my life. 🤷🏼‍♂️ I've also been told by guys and my boyfriend that I just look better with a little bit of weight. I'm 5'11 and 168 currently, not overweight by any means. I just have a wider frame with some definition. It's important to stay healthy but I'm going to indulge. I'm good with being called Daddy and having a "dad bod."

Fair enough. I've had the misfortune of going to PF when I was visiting family in Tampa, FL back in 2017. Noped the hell out of there because the workout I do in my gym was not at all possible there. It had no squat racks and no dumbbells over 60 pounds.

You went to one shitty gym one time on vacation, I'd hardly call you an expert when others are telling you that this isn't the case.

I pay a little more for what would be considered a mid-tier gym, Xsport, and I have the luxury of using different locations. Not all of them are the same, some have less equipment or shitty amenities that the other locations can afford, due to space or budget.

The elitist gym mentality in this thread is gross.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
Mount Airy, MD
I always hear the time and energy reason but nothing is ever presented that really supports it outside of a few very extreme circumstances. The vast vast vast majority of the population can find 2 hours total in their week to get moving a little bit more. Not even for weight management, that's diet. For your overall health. Saying it's a privilege provides these people with an "out" of why it's impossible.

It's cute that you keep fighting this battle. I'd suggest you are grossly ignorant of how little time and energy many, many people have given the modern economy and job markets, especially as you look at lower incomes.

You don't need to worry about "providing" people with an out. It's reality, and they're living it every day. It's not like people don't know what's going on with their bodies and just say "Well I can't be bothered". It's a systemic problem for a reason far beyond "people don't want to put in the work".

sgtnosboss

Nov 9, 2017
Jesus, this thread got bad pretty fast. I would challenge anyone acting elitist here to a hard days work on my land and see who drops first...

Jun 10, 2018
As someone who has had both, I much prefer the leaner "six-pack" look for myself. This is also heavily influenced by the fact I played a crapton of basketball in my youth and that's how I always looked before I entered my 20s, so I'm admitting I'm completely biased.

Not knocking anyone with a dadbod though. Do you bros!

Ultima_5

Oct 25, 2017
Just goes to show confidence is more important than how you look. I've had a dad bod since I was 10 and have never had issues with dating and all that

TimeFire

Avenger
Nov 26, 2017
Brazil
Just goes to show confidence is more important than how you look. I've had a dad bod since I was 10 and have never had issues with dating and all that

You don't understand! Look at the fatties eating pizza! Disgusting, right?!

(I agree. Dad bod since forever and never had problems with the ladies.)

Era has a huge problem with fat-shaming.

ironjoe

Jan 26, 2018
NYC
Whew. The amount of shaming/general anger/unhappiness in this thread is palpable. I think it's fair to imagine women who prefer either type. No one who doesn't work out is negating the hard work you put into working out. It's okay! You're gains are worth it, and even if you didn't work out, you're worth it anyways! Dad bod/ripped bod, they're both fine. You can have your individual preference for your own body, but let's not judge people who disagree. Life's shit enough without men beating each other down.

Personally, with my divorce, working out has made me feel a lot better about myself. I really prefer the way I look now, but the way I looked before was fine too.

Deleted member 52442

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 24, 2019
i thought dad bod was like soft and beer bellied? am i wrong?

i feel like some of you guys are talking about bear mode

JBucc

Oct 25, 2017
Big deal, I didn't get this 6 pack to impress women, I got it to impress other dudes on the bodybuilding forums. The people who really matter.

Last edited:

Skel1ingt0n

Oct 28, 2017
I am a dad and I have a Dad Bod, and I 100% disagree with this.

If I had a stronger chest or more chiseled abs, I'm certain I'd find myself more attractive, my wife would find me more attractive, and random women and women co-workers would find me more attractive. I used to be in much better shape, and I got way more compliments on my looks then than I do now.

Doober

Banned
Jun 10, 2018
I am a dad and I have a Dad Bod, and I 100% disagree with this.

If I had a stronger chest or more chiseled abs, I'm certain I'd find myself more attractive, my wife would find me more attractive, and random women and women co-workers would find me more attractive. I used to be in much better shape, and I got way more compliments on my looks then than I do now.

Right? There's definitely not any sort of dad bod craze in my area. Hell, even a lot big women don't want dad bod.

Status
Not open for further replies.