• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

John Dunbar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
ctwc_header_2016.jpg

It's that time of the year again, the greatest sporting event in the world is upon us.

The tournament should be available on the official Twitch channel. The finals at least should be livestreamed.

SCHEDULE:

Saturday, Oct. 20th:
Sunday, Oct. 21st:
  • Classic Tetris (NES) Tournament early rounds w/announcer Arda Ocal
  • Round 1 - 10:30 AM - 12:00PM (16 matches)
  • Round 2 - 12:15PM - 1:15:PM (8 matches)
  • Break - 1:15PM - 1:45PM
  • Announcements - 1:45PM - 2:00PM
    • Speakers include:
      • Vince Clemente
      • Adam Cornelius
      • Chris Tang
      • James Chen
  • Classic Tetris (NES) Tournament Top 8 w/announcers Chris Tang and James Chen
  • Round 3 - 2:00PM - 2:45PM (4 matches)
  • Round 4 - 3:00PM - 3:30 PM (2 matches)
  • Round 5 - 3:45PM - 4:30PM
  • Classic Tetris (NES) Award Presentation - 4:30PM
All times PDT

Some notable contestants:

Jonas Neubauer

latest

Seven-time champion, winning the tournament in 2010-2013 and 2015-2017, the only blemish on his record being finishing runner-up to Harry Hong in 2014. No doubt the favourite, but like always there are some tough challengers.

Harry Hong

Champion in 2014 and runner-up in 2010 and 2013, Hong had a somewhat disappointing time at last year's championship, but is back once again through winning the West Coast Qualifier. Notably holds the highest recorded score ever in Tetris. Interestingly seems to have developed a less aggressive style which he recently debuted in an exhibition match against Jonas.

Koryan

A real veteran who has the chops to beat anyone. Last year he was the Tetris Grand Master Champion, and recently he defeated Jonas Neubauer in a grueling best of five exhibition match in Hong Kong by maxing out in the deciding set.

Svavar Gunnarsson

Current European champion. I believe this will be his first time at the World Championship. A real wild card, and it will be interesting to see how his devastating PAL Tetris skills translate to the NTSC version.

Jani Herlevi

Former European Champion and the world record holder in PAL Tetris, known for his ability to continue playing after the so-called "kill screen". Possibly the only person to have ever reached level 27 in PAL Tetris, and has hit level 30 at least once.

Jeff Moore

2016 runner-up is back after winning the Desert Qualifier. His 2016 run is immortalized in this classic video.

Other contestants through qualifying:

WEST COAST QUALIFIER – Retro City Fest – Pomona, California – Winter

2018 winner – Harry Hong

MIDWEST QUALIFIER – Tecmo Madison – Madison, Wisconsin – Spring

2018 winner – Josh Tolles

SOUTHERN QUALIFIER – Let's Play Gaming Expo – Irving, Texas – Summer

2018 winner – Kristen Stein

EAST COAST QUALIFIER – Replay FX – Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania – Summer

2018 winner – Christopher Brady

DESERT QUALIFIER – Game On Expo – Phoenix, Arizona – August

2018 winner – Jeff Moore

It promises to be an exciting tournament this year, though I haven't been able to find information on the possible participation of Alex Kerr and Sean Ritchie (aka Quaid aka Hauser).

Last edited:
OP
OP
John Dunbar

John Dunbar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
No competitive Tetris fans on ERA?

Anyway, I think I got the date wrong. I believe it starts already on the 19th, but not sure are there any streams then. Nothing is listed on the schedule.

Treasure Silvergun

Self-requested ban
Banned
Dec 4, 2017
I'm a fan of classic Tetris and no other version has ever replaced the Game Boy original in my heart, but I'm not fond of watching these monsters do things I never could.

My personal record was 308 lines in Tetris GB, and it took me years to get there. These people could do that in their sleep.

OP
OP
John Dunbar

John Dunbar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm a fan of classic Tetris and no other version has ever replaced the Game Boy original in my heart, but I'm not fond of watching these monsters do things I never could.

My personal record was 308 lines in Tetris GB, and it took me years to get there. These people could do that in their sleep.

Classic Tetris is really the only Tetris for me. I still regularly play it on GBA SP and sometimes on my NES. I do not care for the newer ones, being able to hold pieces and especially the supremacy of the T-spin disgust me.

Any Tetris game where the ideal strategy is not to get as many Tetrises as possible is just unacceptable to me.

Narasumas

Banned
Nov 27, 2017
Melbourne, Florida
Oh hell yes!!! Thanks for posting this! I've watched this event numerous times...but never live. Excited to follow this weekend.

Pulling for you Koryan! (Hauser lol)

....but Jonas will prob win.

Treasure Silvergun

Self-requested ban
Banned
Dec 4, 2017
Classic Tetris is really the only Tetris for me. I still regularly play it on GBA SP and sometimes on my NES. I do not care for the newer ones, being able to hold pieces and especially the supremacy of the T-spin disgust me.

Any Tetris game where the ideal strategy is not to get as many Tetrises as possible is just unacceptable to me.
*brofist*

I didn't think I'd ever find anyone thinking like that anymore.

Even in newer games (Puyo Puyo Tetris is fantastic), I never hold pieces.

I still remember the time when I went from 0 to 68 lines with 17 consecutive Tetrises. That's the name of the game for me.

Narasumas

Banned
Nov 27, 2017
Melbourne, Florida
There is a really cool community behind Classic Tetris. Hope this year there's some excitement or a few shake-ups with matchups.

I second the thoughts above about 'newer' Tetris. The play style needed for Classic is the best to play and to watch imo.

Deleted member 3203

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
sunny canada
I work for Ting, one of the co-sponsors of the event. About to head out to Portland to cover this. Can post pictures and whatever if people are curious.

OP
OP
John Dunbar

John Dunbar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Qualifying has started, live on Twitch now. Most people probably won't find this very exciting, but there should already be some play-offs later today between the 25 and 40 seeds to see who makes the 32 player bracket for tomorrow.

Edit: Harry Hong maxed out twice in a row. Surely enough for the number one seed.

Edit2: Green Tea also with two max outs. Not familiar with him, but very high quality qualification.

Edit3: Joseph Saelee is looking very good. Twice only few k away from a max out. His playstyle might be too risky for a tournament, but I don't think I have ever seen such impressive play with such a high stack.

edit4: Joseph maxed out, becoming the first person to reach level 30 in a live event. Insane play.

Last edited:
OP
OP
John Dunbar

John Dunbar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The final tournament is just starting (twitch).

Qualifying leaderboard:
LiveLeaderboard.bmp

Tournament bracket:

CTWC%2032%20bracket.png

edit: First round done, no upsets. Some great matchups in the second round.

Last edited:
OP
OP
John Dunbar

John Dunbar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Final eight is about to start. Last chance to get in on the fun. Very high quality tournament, this one.

edit: Semi-finals are Koryan vs. Joseph and Green Tea vs. Jonas. Bit disappointed how Harry Hong lost, but seeing some new blood is always good.

edit2: joseph has now taken out harry hong and koryan.

Last edited:
OP
OP
John Dunbar

John Dunbar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Joseph defeats Jonas in straight sets. Incredible play, to win the championship by beating Harry, Koryan and Jonas in a row.

Kamek

Oct 27, 2017
Holy shit, I listened to this because I was like huh James Chen? And I was hooked. Always been in the FGC but this Tetris scene is hype as fuck. Definitely feeling like playing some Tetris

OP
OP
John Dunbar

John Dunbar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Age difference doesn't seem fair, but it was still fun to watch.
That's how it goes in all competitive events. Older people have to give way eventually. But it's not like age is the only thing that matters. Jonas is playing some of the best Tetris of his life these days. Still, Joseph Saelee is the first person ever to reach level 32 in Tetris.

Oct 27, 2017
That's how it goes in all competitive events. Older people have to give way eventually. But it's not like age is the only thing that matters. Jonas is playing some of the best Tetris of his life these days. Still, Joseph Saelee is the first person ever to reach level 32 in Tetris.
That's crazy. Really impressive stuff. Sounds like 'hypertapping' will be the new thing kids must have from now on to beat Joseph.

Deleted member 37151

Account closed at user request
Banned
Jan 1, 2018
OK I have some comments and questions.

1) Great final. Joseph has some wonderful facial expressions.

2) Is the next piece in NES Tetris not randomly selected? They both started with the same pieces.

3) Are they using joysticks or pads?

OP
OP
John Dunbar

John Dunbar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
OK I have some comments and questions.

1) Great final. Joseph has some wonderful facial expressions.

2) Is the next piece in NES Tetris not randomly selected? They both started with the same pieces.

3) Are they using joysticks or pads?

2. It is totally random, but they are using a system (don't know exactly how it works) that both players get the same pieces so it will be fairer in head-to-head play. They have a list of seeds that are then chosen with a dice roll. There are hundreds of them so you naturally can't memorize them. Some time ago both players still got different pieces, which you can see if you watch older videos on Youtube.

3. They're using original NES controllers. Aftermarket controllers have to be faithful reproductions.

That's crazy. Really impressive stuff. Sounds like 'hypertapping' will be the new thing kids must have from now on to beat Joseph.

It's probably the way to go for anyone who wants to play at the highest level on their own, but I don't think it's absolutely necessary in a tournament setting. Koryan is also a hypertapper, and a very good one to boot, but DAS players have been able to compete. Harry Hong was also doing very well against Joseph until his level just fell of a cliff. If Hong had had even one decent game after winning the first one he could very well have eliminated Joseph at the quarter-finals stage. It was pretty disappointing how Hong could not push him a bit more to make Joseph really earn that victory.

Interestingly, Green Tea is a bit of hybrid. I think it's called quick tapping, but I'm not sure. He is a DAS player, but he also uses an extra tap at the end to move pieces a bit farther. After he had a missed line piece land one spot short of the well, he managed to move the next line piece over it to score a Tetris. Not sure if anyone else could have gotten that over.

All that means that next year is already looking very interesting. Joseph already said he would be back, hopefully Green Tea will also be there.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
2. It is totally random, but they are using a system (don't know exactly how it works) that both players get the same pieces so it will be fairer in head-to-head play. They have a list of seeds that are then chosen with a dice roll. There are hundreds of them so you naturally can't memorize them. Some time ago both players still got different pieces, which you can see if you watch older videos on Youtube.

3. They're using original NES controllers. Aftermarket controllers have to be faithful reproductions.

It's probably the way to go for anyone who wants to play at the highest level on their own, but I don't think it's absolutely necessary in a tournament setting. Koryan is also a hypertapper, and a very good one to boot, but DAS players have been able to compete. Harry Hong was also doing very well against Joseph until his level just fell of a cliff. If Hong had had even one decent game after winning the first one he could very well have eliminated Joseph at the quarter-finals stage. It was pretty disappointing how Hong could not push him a bit more to make Joseph really earn that victory.

Interestingly, Green Tea is a bit of hybrid. I think it's called quick tapping, but I'm not sure. He is a DAS player, but he also uses an extra tap at the end to move pieces a bit further. After he had a missed line piece land one spot short of the well, he managed to move the next line piece over it to score a Tetris. Not sure if anyone else could have gotten that over.

All that means that next year is already looking very interesting. Joseph already said he would be back, hopefully Green Tea will also be there.
Thanks, didnt know about all this.

Also, why do all Tetris players names start with a J lol? BOOM TETRIS FOR JEFF, BOOM TETRIS FOR JOSEPH, BOOM TETRIS FOR JONAS! The cup shouldnt be the T shape but the J shape lol.

silverhick

Oct 25, 2017
I attended 2013-2015. Haven't been back in a while since the stream is so good now and I have even less hope of qualifying. Great community and without a doubt my favorite video game tournament. The skill and drama of these matches is unlike anything else. This year was amazing and I was rooting for Joseph early on so was awesome to see him take the old guard to school. Makes me want to start practicing and head to Portland next October!