• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Meows

Oct 28, 2017
Thought Vice was a drama? Wonder why they didn't go musical category for Star, Bohemian??
The argument is that the Globes only view a musical as non-diegetic (it only takes place in their heads or an alternate reality instead of being heard by everyone). It becomes a music drama, instead of a musical, in their eyes once the music is being used in concerts, performed for others, etc. Except this argument falls apart when you look at beloved film musicals like Cabaret lol.

EDIT: quoted the wrong person. Sorry lol.

Window

Oct 27, 2017
Don't know why people are taking issue with Black Panther. It's probably the third best film in its category.

Xx 720

Nov 3, 2017
Glad Bodyguard/Richard Madden got nominated, best show on netflix imo. But the actress who played the politician he was assigned to, she should of been nominated, she was great.

TheTyrant

Nov 27, 2018
All the pressed people are amazing. Still crying about a 88 Metacritic, A+ cinemascore black casted box-office juggernaut is getting awards attention. The 88 metacritic it has is even higher than the other 4 films it is nominated with except for ASiB which has the same.

Manmademan

Election Thread Watcher
Aug 6, 2018
I find weird that Black Panther is nominated as best drama movie and has only music nominations besides that one

I was going to say the same thing. Very weird to be nominated for Best Picture, but no nods for screenplay, actor, actress, director...nothing. Not even a supporting mention.

Seems like hollywood politics and/or an aggressive campaign got it the nomination but there's no real shot at a win.

Blakkklansman though? I think that one has a legitimate chance at the win.

Benji

Self Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Haunting of Hill House not getting any nominations is pretty lame. My guess would be genre plays against it but its excellent.

Oct 25, 2017
NkKzmBE.jpg

Sorry, I had too.

Bronx-Man

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
mfw white film dorks collectively shit themselves in rage over Black Panther getting a best picture nom at the Oscars

tenor.gif

Desparadina

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
All I want is for Rami Malek to win, the movie itself was weak but his performance pulled everything together for me

Compbros

Oct 30, 2017
It's sad how forgotten Upgrade is by the general population and the academy. My movie of the year.

Kismet

Banned
Nov 9, 2017
mfw white film dorks collectively shit themselves in rage over Black Panther getting a best picture nom at the Oscars

I'm not white according to my Egyptian friends!

And if Black Panther deserves a nomination, then all Marvel movies do. Because it's not better or worse than the rest of those movies.

Xe4

Oct 25, 2017
I think it's pretty awesome that 3/5 nominees are by and primarily starring PoC.

Hollywood Duo

Oct 25, 2017
Golden Globe are even more of a joke than the Oscars which is saying something but BP getting nominated isn't even close to the most suspect nom on this list.

alexi52

Oct 28, 2017
I enjoyed every other superhero movie this year more than Black Panther, the whole mess of a final act should have disqualified it from any nomination

Rivenblade

Nov 1, 2017
Bohemian Rhapsody being in there is stranger than Black Panther being in there.

This is the year of A Star is Born I guess.

Eidan

Avenger
Oct 30, 2017
I'm not white according to my Egyptian friends!

And if Black Panther deserves a nomination, then all Marvel movies do. Because it's not better or worse than the rest of those movies.
Black Panther is the highest rated Marvel film on Metacritic. Why do you think that is? It released to widespread critical acclaim...why? I'm sure your answer will be revealing.

Kismet

Banned
Nov 9, 2017
Black Panther is the highest rated Marvel film on Metacritic. Why do you think that is? It released to widespread critical acclaim...why? I'm sure your answer will be revealing.

What about the Bohemian Rhapsody score and its quality?

Scores (and quality?) don't seem to matter much.

Window

Oct 27, 2017
I think it's a great movie, but no film with a third act as sloppy as BP deserves best picture.
Neither do Bohemian Rhapsody or Blackkklansmen but they've been nominated too. A Star is Born is a well made third retelling of the story. I think the picks are weak as a whole and BP is hardly an outlier.

FreezePeach

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I mean, that is one WEAK drama list right there. I guess this was a weak year for movies. BlacKkKlansman or Star is Born is winning that. Have no idea about Beale Street. BP or Rhapsody seem like their version of 'popular movie'.

Strangelove_77

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If this thread is a preview of the Oscars thread this is going to be amazing.

JK-Money

Attempt to circumvent a ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I get what they want to do but......Black Panther is/was not the best motion picture....

OP
OP
Sexy Fish

Sexy Fish

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I mean, that is one WEAK drama list right there. I guess this was a weak year for movies. BlacKkKlansman or Star is Born is winning that. Have no idea about Beale Street. BP or Rhapsody seem like their version of 'popular movie'.
First Reformed/Hereditary/ and Sorry to Bother You are three that I feel really should have been included in some way.

Rivenblade

Nov 1, 2017
I enjoyed every other superhero movie this year more than Black Panther, the whole mess of a final act should have disqualified it from any nomination

I didn't mind the third act outside of the CG rhinos and other spotty CG moments. The story was good, though.

This list just reminded me that I need to see BlacKkKlansman.

FreezePeach

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
First Reformed/Hereditary/ and Sorry to Bother You are three that I feel really should have been included in some way.
I mean, im sure there were a bunch of good movies this year. I saw the ones you mentioned and enjoyed them. Also so many of these noms are newly released movies i havent even seen yet. Almost all of the music/comedy category i havent seen except Asians.