• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Eidan

Avenger
Oct 30, 2017
I gave you my answer. And my answer is that scores don't seem to matter much when it comes to these nominations.

I've seen so many shitty movies with a high RT score and so many decent movies with a lower score.
My question wasn't, "What do you think of review scores?" It was, "Why do you think BP is the highest rated Marvel movie on Metacritic and released to widespread critical acclaim?"

Peru

Oct 26, 2017
One of the worst lists of Best Pic noms I've seen, the Queen bio pic being included just tops it. It's been a good year for movies for me, even for 'award type' movies, and certainly ones fitting in the GG's "comedy/musical" category, but they just managed to outshit themselves here.

base_two

Oct 27, 2017
Not sure what the salt about Black Panther being nominated when it is one of the most critically acclaimed movies released this year. So the "doesn't deserve to be there" tones in the thread is just...telling.

Nov 1, 2017
Bohemian Rhapsody being nominated for Best Picture in either category is a fucking joke. But the Globes gonna Globes I guess.

Elsie Fisher getting nominated is great though. That's the kind of nomination that makes me glad the Globes exist because that's sure as shit not gonna happen at the Oscars.

Window

Oct 27, 2017
Also, whoa at Melissa McCarthy getting a drama best actress nomination. Good on her.

KingKong

Oct 27, 2017
I get that they only want to nominate American (or at least English language) movies but its especially stupid this year with Roma, The Favorite, Burning, Happy as Lazarro, Shoplifters and Zama

Kismet

Banned
Nov 9, 2017
My question wasn't, "What do you think of review scores?" It was, "Why do you think BP is the highest rated Marvel movie on Metacritic and released to widespread critical acclaim?"

Because people seem to like it?

But people also love McDonalds.

And that's what Marvel movies are to me. The McDonals of the movie industry. BP might be the tastiest burger. But it still remains MCDonalds.

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
Not sure what the salt about Black Panther being nominated when it is one of the most critically acclaimed movies released this year. So the "doesn't deserve to be there" tones in the thread is just...telling.
It's a super hero movie that is no where near as good as other movies from that same company.

I feel like the only reason it's there is to stave off social media backlash and articles talking about "are they out of touch for not nominating black panther".

No one wants another Oscars So White equivalent.

Peru

Oct 26, 2017
The Golden Globes are always mostly awful. Noms can be got through publicists BUYING THEM WITH MONEY. Still, this is a worse selection than usual.

Oct 27, 2017
Green Book was a comedy? I laughed at Bohemian Rhapsody and Black Panther being listed as the best anything. They were OK at best.

base_two

Oct 27, 2017
It's a super hero movie that is no where near as good as other movies from that same company.

I feel like the only reason it's there is to stave off social media backlash and articles talking about "are they out of touch for not nominating black panther".

No one wants another Oscars So White equivalent.

And there it is...again. So ignoring the critical acclaim for the movie, you'd simply reduce the nomination to appeasing race baiters and mainstream movie goers?

Window

Oct 27, 2017
These nominees are hilarious. Black panther and bohemian rhapsody? Seriously?

Its an average marvel movie, but with a villain that has an interesting motive. That's about it.
That's besides the point I'm making. There's other films people should be taking issue with besides BP, which makes total sense to have been nominated if you know how the Golden Globes work.

ZeoVGM

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
These nominees are hilarious. Black panther and bohemian rhapsody? Seriously?

I honestly don't understand why people pretend to be surprised by this.

Black Panther was one of the best reviewed films of 2018. 97% on RottenTomatoes and 88 on Metacritic. On top of that, it was also a cultural phenomenon and and one of the most culturally important film releases of our generation.

When you put those two facts together, it's hard for me to understand why anyone would be confused at a Best Picture nomination.