• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

chezzymann

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I honestly don't understand why people pretend to be surprised by this.

Black Panther was one of the best reviewed films of 2018. 97% on RottenTomatoes and 88 on Metacritic. On top of that, it was also a cultural phenomenon and and one of the most culturally important film releases of our generation.

When you put those two facts together, it's hard for me to understand why anyone would be confused at a Best Picture nomination.
I guess I just heavily disagree with the reviews and feel that its just an average marvel movie with a good villain. I seriously don't understand how it managed to be the best reviewed comic book movie of all time on Metacritic.

Nightwing123

Oct 27, 2017
Just a reminder that this are the scores for these movies
  1. A Star is Born- 8.1, Top Critic score 8.4
  2. Blackkklansman - 8.3, Top Critics score 8.6
  3. Black Panther- 8.2, Top Critic Score 8.9
  4. If Beale Street Could Talk- 8.7, Top Critic Score 8.1
  5. Bohemian Rhapsody- 6.1, Top Critic Score 5.5
  6. Green Book- 7.7, Top Critic Score 8.2
  7. The Favorite- 8.5, Top Critic Score 8.8
  8. Roma- 9.3, Top Critic Score 9.4
Regardless of how you feel about Black Panther, I don't understand how some people say it does not deserve its place in these awards when it's one of the best-reviewed movies of the year. Bohemian Rhapsody, on the other hand, is not and I'm not quite sure why it's even here, to begin with.

Last edited:
Oct 28, 2017
Infinity War was the better marvel movie.

It's not the better general movie.

Black Panther feels uniquely generic. I'm not saying it was bad from a Marvel or standard movie standpoint but outside of its subject matter, the rest of the movie was middle of the road solid. And there's nothing wrong with that.

It's a super hero movie that is no where near as good as other movies from that same company.

I feel like the only reason it's there is to stave off social media backlash and articles talking about "are they out of touch for not nominating black panther".

No one wants another Oscars So White equivalent.

See this is where I'm conflicted, I think it should be a applauded for it's commercial success and heralded as a gateway movie about black folks that's not some by the numbers Tyler Perry clownin' bullshit however, by my own optics of movie quality it's nomination almost feels token. This is where I'm conflicted.

Then again, I'm not sure I've seen enough movies this year to say that BP shouldn't be nominated, might just be a weak year.

ZeoVGM

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
Sometimes I wonder what movie did the critics watch because they made it out to be this critically acclaimed film when....it wasn't.

That's... not how it works. Black Panther being critically acclaimed is an unarguable fact. Your personal opinion is not important in that regard.

You literally just said, "The movie isn't critically acclaimed because I disagree with the critics."

Of course, the fact that you already said this only got nominated to appease black people, which is disgustingly racist, tells me all I need to know about you.

Sanjuro

Oct 25, 2017
Massachusetts
I honestly don't understand why people pretend to be surprised by this.

Black Panther was one of the best reviewed films of 2018. 97% on RottenTomatoes and 88 on Metacritic. On top of that, it was also a cultural phenomenon and and one of the most culturally important film releases of our generation.

When you put those two facts together, it's hard for me to understand why anyone would be confused at a Best Picture nomination.

For the Golden Globes or an Academy Award nomination in a pool of nine, it isn't. Using the old format it would be very surprising.

MrPink

Oct 27, 2017
Supporting actor is stacked. How would he fit in?

Chalamet and Driver aren't entirely safe at the Oscars, I would bet Sam Elliott gets nominated in place of Chalamet. Then it becomes a fight between Driver and Michael B Jordan.

Honestly, I feel Rockwell/Chalamet/Jordan/Driver are all fringe nominees at this point and Elliott/Grant/Ali are the locks come Oscar time. So pick any 2 of the 4 and none would surprise me.

Sasliquid

Oct 25, 2017
I think the most important indicator of Oscar glory is best screenplay, very few post-2000 best pictures winners weren't nominated in this globe category and ASIB wasn't

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
Black Panther feels uniquely generic. I'm not saying it was bad from a Marvel or standard movie standpoint but outside of its subject matter, the rest of the movie was middle of the road solid. And there's nothing wrong with that.

See this is where I'm conflicted, I think it should be a applauded for it's commercial success and heralded as a gateway movie about black folks that's not some by the numbers Tyler Perry clownin' bullshit however, by my own optics of movie quality it's nomination almost feels token. This is where I'm conflicted.

Then again, I'm not sure I've seen enough movies this year to say that BP shouldn't be nominated, might just be a weak year.
Oh yeah absolutely, its sad that it took until 2018 for this to happen and it knocked down barriers that should have been knocked down 50 years ago in Hollywood. Where I don't believe it deserves best picture I wouldn't be opposed to it getting a 10-15 minute special recognition of the doors it has opened for black actors and directors going forward.

Oct 29, 2017
Australia
What a piss-poor year for movies.

And if Lady Gaga wins best actress, what a massive nosedive in quality it'll be from last years winner Frances McDormand.

MrPink

Oct 27, 2017
It's a 2 hour movie. You can't fit everything in there. What would you have added or changed to make it better?

Just using an example, but Steve Jobs did away with feeling the need to cover his whole life and focus on 3 specific moments. As is, Bohemian Rhapsody felt more content to give an excuse to go through the entire Queen catalog, which to their credit, worked out tremendously for them from a financial perspective.

Bronx-Man

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
ee this is where I'm conflicted, I think it should be a applauded for it's commercial success and heralded as a gateway movie about black folks that's not some by the numbers Tyler Perry clownin' bullshit however, by my own optics of movie quality it's nomination almost feels token. This is where I'm conflicted.
But it's nominated alongside Blackkklansman and Beale Street. They could've easily told Black Panther to fuck off and went with those two instead if they merely wanted to throw us a bone.

Maybe

just

MAYBE

a lot of people in Hollywood actually liked it and thought it deserved a nomination?

TheTyrant

Nov 27, 2018
I think the most important indicator of Oscar glory is best screenplay, very few post-2000 best pictures winners weren't nominated in this globe category and ASIB wasn't
Yeah it's odd it didn't get in there after all the love. Lots of weird misses for other films in categories they were supposed to be slam dunks in like Yorgos for director, Spike Lee for screenplay and Beale Street for score.

Dead Guy

Oct 25, 2017
Saskatchewan, Canada
Just using an example, but Steve Jobs did away with feeling the need to cover his whole life and focus on 3 specific moments. As is, Bohemian Rhapsody felt more content to give an excuse to go through the entire Queen catalog, which to their credit, worked out tremendously for them from a financial perspective.

That's what Queen is though. They're famous because of their music so of course they would want to add in as much as they could. It still went through the darker aspects of Freddy's life which would eventually lead to his death.

Gatti-man

Banned
Jan 31, 2018
Black panther being nominated is bad enough but if it wins I'll literally never take these awards seriously again. It's a good superhero film not even tops in its genre. I can't tell if this is just a mix of Hollywood finally recognizing that superhero films are legitimate movies and black panther being good and influential or just Disney pushing the full hype machine.

A star is born deserves to win but idk if it will since it's a remake.

Meows

Oct 28, 2017
There were a lot of baffling nominations here for nearly every movie that should have been shoe-ins. Only Green Book and Vice maxed out with their nomination chances. ASIB missing Elliott and Screenplay. Blackkklansman missing screenplay. The Favourite missing director. Mary Poppins missing original song.

And I think Vice will be American Hustle'd at the Oscars - lots of noms but not much love.

Hoping that this doesn't mean Driving Miss Daisy 2.0 wins BP.

SolidSnakeBoy

May 21, 2018
Bohemian Rhapsody gets nominated over First Man? Ridiculous. Do you guys know if The Death of Stalin qualifies for this year or last year? I believe it came out in the US this year while having a release late last year. Sorry to Bother You also MIA? Geez.

MrPink

Oct 27, 2017
That's what Queen is though. They're famous because of their music so of course they would want to add in as much as they could. It still went through the darker aspects of Freddy's life which would eventually lead to his death.

Sure, but adding in as much of their music as possible doesn't necessarily make a better film. The film is also fairly content with rewriting history in terms of how things happened.

I'm not begrudging Queen or the filmmakers for the route they took, it's more on the Globes side.

Francesco

Nov 22, 2017
No Searching?
No A quiet place?
Bohemian Rapsody?

Trash list.

Also Constance Wu acting was atrocious. Her nomination is laughable.
Those Disney dvd cases worked!

Violence Jack

Drive-in Mutant
Oct 25, 2017

You summed up my feelings on this as well. But I also think this was a pretty weak year for movies. I'd have a hard time finding 10 films to put in my best of 2018 list.

I was hoping for a best actress nomination for Toni Collette in Hereditary.

Oct 28, 2017
But it's nominated alongside Blackkklansman and Beale Street. They could've easily told Black Panther to fuck off and went with those two instead if they merely wanted to throw us a bone.

Maybe

just

MAYBE

a lot of people in Hollywood actually liked it and thought it deserved a nomination?

You could be right and that's cool too.