• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Meows

Oct 28, 2017
Michelle Yeoh is the one from CRA that should have been nominated. 😔

OP
OP
Sexy Fish

Sexy Fish

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
No Sorry to Bother you but Black Panther... Okay. That movie just keeps being overrated as fuck.
Sorry To Bother You has gotta be my favorite theater going experience of the year, shame it was empty but at least me and my friend could openly say "WHAT THE FUCK" without bothering anyone.

OfficerRob

Oct 25, 2017
Wait, how the hell did Sam Elliott not get nominated? Bohemian Rhapsody getting nominated is just the Globes being the Globes, as that's just a bad movie

hipsterpants

Oct 25, 2017
I need to watch BP again, my initial impression was that is was a good film held back by it's blockbuster trappings - particularly the last act devolving into blah CGI battles and explosions. But I haven't watched enough 2018 films to determine if it's necessarily better than the rest.

MizneyWorld

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
My horse in this race is Sharp Objects. Come on, Sharp Objects! Great series and Amy Adams was amazing in it.

Moppeh

Oct 28, 2017
It's the Globes. They have a much smaller voting body than the Oscars with very nebulous joining requirements, so their noms are always super weird

Honestly, the noms seem weirder than past years. There's usually a head scratcher or two but usually I feel like I can agree with/understand the bulk of the selections. But this year, it's definitely less so for me.

Granted, I find this nomination push for Black Panther to be silly, so I probably was going to be disappointed in awards season no matter what. But fucking Bohemian Rhapsody? There are so many stellar films this year, it's so crazy to fill your nom list with middling films.

I should also mention that I got The Favorite confused with The Frontrunner, so the list isn't as bad as I originally thought.

Though I guess nothing can compare to the ridiculousness of labeling The Martian as a comedy.

Nov 1, 2017
Honestly, the noms seem weirder than past years. There's usually a head scratcher or two but usually I feel like I can agree with/understand the bulk of the selections. But this year, it's definitely less so for me.

Granted, I find this nomination push for Black Panther to be silly, so I probably was going to be disappointed in awards season no matter what. But fucking Bohemian Rhapsody and The Favorite? There are so many stellar films this year, it's so crazy to fill your nom list with middling films.

Though I guess nothing can compare to the ridiculousness of labeling The Martian as a comedy.

Nothing will ever be weirder than The Tourist getting nominated

Also I thought The Favorite was supposed to be good

Disco

Oct 25, 2017
I haven't seen Beale Street yet which is likely a great flick. But that best drama slate from the globes is pretty damn weak and I wouldn't mind if Black Panther beat those picks. No first man or widows or first reformed wth

Oscars tend to make far better picks, hopefully thats the case this time too

est1992

Oct 27, 2017
Where the fuck is Eigth Grade????

That movie was amazing, chillin at 99% on RT. SNUB.

I'm glad Black Panther got some noms though. Won't win, unfortunately, but hopefully it'll start pushing them to be even better movies.

Disco

Oct 25, 2017
Michelle Yeoh is the one from CRA that should have been nominated. 😔

Enjoyable movie but constance wu was pretty damn awful in it, weakest link of the whole flick tbh. Nominating her for it is just typical globes nominating mediocre lead of popular movie

Also it's a damn shame First Man is getting little to no buzz. Directing, BP, Composer and Actor noms should all be clinched for it :(

Socivol

Oct 25, 2017
I honestly can't take any of these awards shows seriously that nominate Black Panther for Best Picture. It's not even that great of a movie, it's a good movie but it's not worthy of a best picture award at a serious awards show.

Window

Oct 27, 2017
I honestly can't take any of these awards shows seriously that nominate Black Panther for Best Picture. It's not even that great of a movie, it's a good movie but it's not worthy of a best picture award at a serious awards show.
You took the Golden Globes seriously??

Which awards do you take seriously?

Eidan

Avenger
Oct 30, 2017
I guess I just heavily disagree with the reviews and feel that its just an average marvel movie with a good villain. I seriously don't understand how it managed to be the best reviewed comic book movie of all time on Metacritic.

Because it was incredibly well written, discussing themes that were both timely and relevant, and doing so seamlessly and naturally through its characters. It really is a master class in storytelling.

Disco

Oct 25, 2017
Toni Collette and Ethan Hawke prolly the biggest acting snubs really. Monstrous performances

A24 needs to step up their bribe game

Deleted member 2793

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Were people this angry when Dark Knight was nominated for stuff?

I think most Marvel movies are comfort food ranging from good to mediocre (personally, I put Winter Soldier/Civil War both in this area) and even then I thought Black Panther was a very good movie with interesting social themes and that will be remembered as a cultural mark. Best superhero movie since TDK. I don't get the salt at all (I also wouldn't mind if it was not nominated, I don't think it will win stuff).

Socivol

Oct 25, 2017
https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/black_panther_2018

You need to try and separate your opinion from the consensus.

Reviews =/= quality. It's a good movie for what it was but it's not even close to being a best picture contender. It was just a decent movie nowhere near the caliber of the other films that are nominated. It's just helmed by a company with deep pockets that has done significant advocacy for the movie for awards season. I didn't say it was a bad movie or even a movie that wasn't enjoyable but it's not in the league of being a best picture contender.

Nov 1, 2017
Seems like a lot of Oscars experts are predicting A Quiet Place will get a Best Picture nom which is fucking bonkers and totally undeserved. I don't think Black Panther deserves a best picture nom either but it deserves it way more than AQP.

Ithil

Oct 25, 2017
Reviews =/= quality. It was just a decent movie nowhere near the caliber of the other films that are nominated. It's just helmed by a company with deep pockets that has done significant advocacy for the movie for awards season. I didn't say it was a bad movie or even a movie that wasn't enjoyable but it's not in the league of being a best picture contender.
I'll just direct you to read my post again.

Disco

Oct 25, 2017
Black Panther and Logan only superhero movies that deserve any major nominations since Dark Knight. Less so BP but it's also the most culturally significant one...ever so whatever it's cool

Lmao at people suggesting shit like infinity war over it. Hell nah. Can't tell if they were ever being serious

Nightwing123

Oct 27, 2017
Were people this angry when Dark Knight was nominated for stuff?

I think most Marvel movies are comfort food ranging from good to mediocre (personally, I put Winter Soldier/Civil War both in this area) and even then I thought Black Panther was a very good movie with interesting social themes and that will be remembered as a cultural mark. Best superhero movie since TDK. I don't get the salt at all (I also wouldn't mind if it was not nominated, I don't think it will win stuff).
This is basically my thoughts as well.

base_two

Oct 27, 2017
Reviews =/= quality. It was just a decent movie nowhere near the caliber of the other films that are nominated. It's just helmed by a company with deep pockets that has done significant advocacy for the movie for awards season. I didn't say it was a bad movie or even a movie that wasn't enjoyable but it's not in the league of being a best picture contender.

Did Marvel Studios pay for the reviews where it was referred to as one of the best movies of the year and one of the best superhero movies ever? And all companies push movies that get praise for critics like this when they think it has a shot at acknowledgement.