• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Seesaw15

Oct 27, 2017
Was that before or after they turned the villain into a comically evil mustache-twirler who burns down everything for reasons?
No reason? His reasons were pretty clear. He had just taken the throne and didn't want anyone to have the power to challenge him. Or are you talking about wanting to arm oppressed people around the world and start a violent uprising? Because that was pretty well explained in the text of the film as well.

cj_iwakura

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Coral Springs, FL
No reason? His reasons were pretty clear. He had just taken the throne and didn't want anyone to have the power to challenge him. Or are you talking about wanting to arm oppressed people around the world and start a violent uprising? Because that was pretty well explained in the text of the film as well.
I get the reasons for it, I just thought they were silly and made his character out to be comically evil instead of justifably driven.

Dec 12, 2017
Was that before or after they turned the villain into a comically evil mustache-twirler who burns down everything for reasons?

Did you watch the movie? He was an emotionally broken person and he said "burn it all" AFTER he had his moment on the Ancestral plane.

That moment fucked him all up and he was just vengeful at that point.

But sure, it was for "reasons". FOH

Nepenthe

When the music hits, you feel no pain.
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Maybe. I thought he was sympathetic until that point, and I lost all interest when he went full heel. Thanos managed to be more sympathetic.
So a black man who saw the murder of his father by a nation that had abandoned black victims of slavery deciding to arm oppressed minorities around the world in acknowledgement of the continued horrors of colonialism is mustache-twirling villainy, but a dude killing half of all life in the entire universe is sympathetic because he had to kill his daughter to do it???

Falconbox

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Buffalo, NY
Black Panther isnt even the best MCU movie to come out in 2018.

Hell, it's not even the second best MCU movie of 2018.

And Bohemian Rhapsody? My god, what a weak list.

mlappy

Alt Account
Banned
Aug 15, 2018
Kanada
Well, one of them was one of the most acclaimed films of the year. The other is barely fresh on RottenTomatoes at 62%. There shouldn't be much trouble deciding which one is more "embarrassing."

Marvel movies are always high grossing. Should we all give them best picutre nominations? BP was the most overrated movie ive seen in a long time.

Sanjuro

Oct 25, 2017
Massachusetts
Black Panther and Logan only superhero movies that deserve any major nominations since Dark Knight. Less so BP but it's also the most culturally significant one...ever so whatever it's cool

Lmao at people suggesting shit like infinity war over it. Hell nah. Can't tell if they were ever being serious

There is another...

DsDSoR6WoAAwuqV.jpg

Raguel

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
There's a difference between people critiquing a movie and posting "lol Black Panther is overrated why is it here".
Exactly. Nothing wrong with criticizing a movie. I realize black panther has flaws. But these shitty drive by passive aggressive bitch ass "lol black panther wtf" posts are not "criticizing." The film was well made. It had a significant cultural impact. If you can't see why it's nominated for best picture, then you're being obtuse.

looool, Golden Globe organizers really want to attract some stars to the ceremony. Pathetic voting practices.

Case in point

Oct 25, 2017
I'm one of those people who didn't really care for BP outside of MBJ's performance, but I'm not going to get salty over it getting a nom. It reviewed well and had lots of buzz. There have been lots of movies far less deserving in the past. Like, who cares?

wenis

Oct 25, 2017
Blackkklansman should win, but it wont because a star is born exists and is ok.

Wanderer5

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Somewhere.
Hosoda getting that exposure, and hopefully GKids will get Mirai at the Oscars too. Looking forward to seeing it this Saturday.

Animated nominees is pretty much what I just about expected, though I forgot about Isle of Dogs, which I still need to see.

Seesaw15

Oct 27, 2017
Maybe. I thought he was sympathetic until that point, and I lost all interest when he went full heel. Thanos managed to be more sympathetic.

I know opinions and all but how bruh? Thanos said some self aggrandizing lines about bringing balance and then killed his daughter/half of the universe. Killmonger burned some plants, killed a few people and was about to arm a couple thousand people for an ill-fated revolution. Even if I didn't personally agree with his methods I thought he was sympathetic throughout the film and understood where his anger came from. The spiritual plane scene with Sterling K. Brown and his final exchange with T'Challa really drove it home.

Not exactly the same but just like when I was watching Little Drummer Girl recently the ostensible villains of the show did heinous things and I still sympathized with them. To each their own I guess.

Last edited:

shaneo632

Weekend Planner
Oct 29, 2017
Wrexham, Wales
And the Toni Collette Hereditary snubbing begins.

Glad Dafoe and Theron got recognised tho.

Nominating Crazy Rich Asians for anything beyond production design, and cinematography though:

giphy.gif

Eidan

Avenger
Oct 30, 2017
Before and after. This has always been a pretty weak line of criticism. Erik Killmonger was a violent man, who enjoyed killing. He was that way from the beginning of the film. Just because one can relate to his motives doesn't mean his character was somehow sabotaged when he CONTINUED to be a scumbag.

CloudWolf

Oct 26, 2017
Wait... A Star Is Born and Bohemian Rhapsody are not considered musicals? That's weird.

Anyway, that's a surprisingly crowd pleasing list of nominations, more than usual. Even not considering Black Panther's nom, what the fuck is drivel like Crazy Rich Asians and Bohemian Rhapsody doing in that list? And I can't imagine that Mary Poppins Returns is that good.

Seesaw15

Oct 27, 2017
Wait... A Star Is Born and Bohemian Rhapsody are not considered musicals? That's weird.

Anyway, that's a surprisingly crowd pleasing list of nominations, more than usual. Even not considering Black Panther's nom, what the fuck is drivel like Crazy Rich Asians and Bohemian Rhapsody doing in that list? And I can't imagine that Mary Poppins Returns is that good.
Mary Poppins is actually getting a ton of awards season hype in critics circles.

Deleted member 2793

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Thanos was fun, but to this day I don't understand how he is supposed to be "sympathetic". His motivations don't even make any sense and he basically murdered trilions of beings, lol. It's weird when people say he's more symphathetic than Killmonger.

NealMcCauley

Oct 27, 2017
Unless Universal is focusing on Oscars First Man's awards momentum seems DOA. I remember reading Green Book caught everyone at the studio off guard and their awards strategy changed overnight.

Supposedly their dark horse was supposed to be Welcome to Marwen. Now it seems like they're releasing that out of contractual obligation.

overcast

Oct 25, 2017
Roma is nominated as Best Foreign Language film. The Golden Globes only nominated English language films for Best Drama and Best Musical/Comedy.

It is also nominated for Best Director and Best Screenplay.
My bad, glanced over that. Still awful noms and the foreign language distinction is ridiculous.

MetatronM

Oct 25, 2017

Golden Globes categories are nonsense. The Martian won Best Picture, Musical or Comedy, remember.