• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

CloudWolf

Oct 26, 2017
We should be more annoyed about Widows getting completely shut out
Yep, I'm very surprised at some of these nominations and then other getting (almost) completely shut out.

At least some of these have nominations in other fields, but all of these are IMO a lot better than some of the films that are nominated:

Widows
Ballad of Buster Scruggs
Eighth Grade
First Man
Burning
Beautiful Boy
Sorry to Bother You
Leave No Trace

EDIT: Forgot to mention Searching and Blindspotting

Last edited:

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Black Panther is not going to win anyway, there's no point in losing your mind or being salty about it.

CloudWolf

Oct 26, 2017
Huh?
Black Panther sucked.
They both weren't good
Honestly the craziest nomination to me is Crazy Rich Asians. At least with Black Panther and Bohemian I still kinda get why they are nominated. I personally disagree that those were among the best of the year, but I get it.

CRA however is literally just a run-of-the-mill romantic comedy where the only "unique" feature is that all the roles are played by Asian-Americans. If it had featured a mainly white cast or a mixed cast with the exact same story, no one would've batted an eye at it.

Yams

Oct 25, 2017
Black Panther is not going to win anyway, there's no point in losing your mind or being salty about it.

It kind of sucks that its spot could have been taken by something like Blindspotting or Widows. Movies that end up in the BP race for Golden Globes and Oscars give movies a huge bump in buys. Black Panther doesn't need that exposure. It's already the biggest movie of the year and one of the best reviewed.

Oct 25, 2017
So a black man who saw the murder of his father by a nation that had abandoned black victims of slavery deciding to arm oppressed minorities around the world in acknowledgement of the continued horrors of colonialism is mustache-twirling villainy, but a dude killing half of all life in the entire universe is sympathetic because he had to kill his daughter to do it???
Can't relate.

Bruceleeroy

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Orange County
Huh? Your personal opinion means bullocks to consensus and what gets critically acclaimed.

And consensus HARDLY has these two films at parity.

Like I said, y'all ain't slick with this.

I still don't get what you're trying to say here. But you seem upset and are trying to make this a race issue or something so uhhhh I'm going to step out of this one

Honestly the craziest nomination to me is Crazy Rich Asians. At least with Black Panther and Bohemian I still kinda get why they are nominated. I personally disagree that those were among the best of the year, but I get it.

CRA however is literally just a run-of-the-mill romantic comedy where the only "unique" feature is that all the roles are played by Asian-Americans. If it had featured a mainly white cast or a mixed cast with the exact same story, no one would've batted an eye at it.

I didn't see Crazy Rich Asians but I would imagine that is true of most movies made around a specific culture right?

CloudWolf

Oct 26, 2017
I didn't see Crazy Rich Asians but I would imagine that is true of most movies made around a specific culture right?
True, but it's not even like the story is that uniquely Asian. It lays a heavy focus on family and the family not approving of the not-rich, not-native Asian girl. We've seen the same story a thousand times.

Dec 12, 2017
You seem like you're trying really hard to pick a fight over someone not liking the same movies that you like.
Naw I'm calling bullshit on the people that try lumping Black Panther in with Bohemian Rhapsody as some sort of way of calling out the absurdity of the picks. As though they are equal. It's happened several times in this thread, with those two films. 🤔

If it was just about calling out people that didn't like Black Panther, I would be quoting 3/4 of the thread.

Bruceleeroy

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Orange County
"Calm down."

That's a classic.

I'm genuinely perplexed by your reaction. I've known you for a while bro this seriously doesn't seem like the Ryutaro I know

True, but it's not even like the story is that uniquely Asian. It lays a heavy focus on family and the family not approving of the not-rich, not-native Asian girl. We've seen the same story a thousand times.

Ahh gotcha. Well do they drink boba in it? Cause I guarantee if they drink Boba and anything with sea foam salt its going to generate billions.

Nepenthe

When the music hits, you feel no pain.
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
The appeal of CRA is the same as I presume it is with Black Panther. It allows marginalized folks to place themselves in fiction that they are regularly denied mainstream access to. It is normalization. Saying "if it starred white people no one would care" is the point. White people get to run the gamut of fiction so their presence is banal.

Movies exist in a wider culture greater than the sum of their parts. And it is okay to honor them for that.

latex

Jul 5, 2018
Whew, black excellence all over these nominations.

I wish Hereditary didn't get shut out though. Can't believe A24 dropped the ball on that movie so hard after their stunning work the last 2 years.

Driggonny

Oct 26, 2017
At best this nomination is a nod to how important the movie was. At worst it's appeasement to Disney.

This show hasn't been about pure quality for as long as I've been alive. I genuinely don't understand being upset about these nominations after hitting adulthood.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
And the Toni Collette Hereditary snubbing begins.

Glad Dafoe and Theron got recognised tho.

Nominating Crazy Rich Asians for anything beyond production design, and cinematography though:

giphy.gif

Such an average-ass movie. It's not even that funny.

Androidsleeps

Oct 27, 2017
This. Possibly the most overrated movie or the year behind A Star is Born. TBH lot's of these choices are..Choices!
BP and BR for best picture drama?! I haven't seen Beale Street yet but its not surprising to see it there and Blackkklansman was great. Knowing the Globes it'll mostly go to ASIB since the studio already bought the award along with the lead actress one.

The exclusion of Toni Collette and Ethan Hawke is also weird (and Burning and Cold War, which seem to be foreign favorites this year). Here's hoping Keri Russel finally gets the recognition she deserves.

Burly

Oct 25, 2017
Just say it already.

"If you don't think Black Panther should have been nominated, you're racist."

There. Enough people were tip-toeing around saying it. Now we can dismiss this stupid opinion and cut out 5 pages of passive aggressive "I'm side eyeing this thread" or "lot of people trying to be slick" back and forth.

Last edited:

Bruceleeroy

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Orange County
Just say it already.

"If you don't think Black Panther should have be nominated, you're racist."

There. Enough people were tip-toeing around saying it. Now we can dismiss this stupid opinion and cut out 5 pages of passive aggressive "I'm side eyeing this tread" or "lot of people trying to be slick" back and forth.

Ha yeah pretty much.

Driggonny

Oct 26, 2017
It's about what these nominations mean for the cultural landscape at large.
Of course! That's why I think Black Panther being nominated is a good thing. It's a good movie. Do I think it'll win? No. Do I think it should? Probably not. I don't know what's wrong with acknowledging such an important film to the black community and arguments against its perceived worthiness are missing the point imo. I don't understand why someone would care SO MUCH as to argue against this movie in particular getting nominated.

Bohemian Rapsohdy of all things was nominated. At least critics generally liked BP lol

Last edited:

Disco

Oct 25, 2017
Why do you care exactly that it got nominated. It means almost literally nothing.

I don't. good for the movie that it got nominated. I just find the point that some are making that people against this nomination are racist, really freaking stupid. Especially when two other black films are in the Best Picture category and aren't getting ire for being placed in there.

Jarmel

The Jackrabbit Always Wins
Oct 25, 2017
New York
Naw I'm calling bullshit on the people that try lumping Black Panther in with Bohemian Rhapsody as some sort of way of calling out the absurdity of the picks. As though they are equal. It's happened several times in this thread, with those two films. 🤔

If it was just about calling out people that didn't like Black Panther, I would be quoting 3/4 of the thread.
It's because both of those aren't considered serious contenders and are generally viewed as being the weakest of the ones nominated. This isn't a conspiracy.

Playco Armboy

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I don't. good for the movie that it got nominated. I just find the point that some are making that people against this nomination are racist, really freaking stupid. Especially when two other black films are in the Best Picture category and aren't getting ire for being placed in there.

I mean, not that many people saw BKM and even less saw Beale Street.

Deleted member 3542

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I wish Hereditary didn't get shut out though. Can't believe A24 dropped the ball on that movie so hard after their stunning work the last 2 years.

Yeah, they could be doing more for their movies. I think their shakeup earlier this year is causing some problems with their co-founder leaving and rumors of a sale. I think their marketing team has changed the past year as well. I'm especially disappointed because their The Witch campaign back in 2016 was great and Hereditary has way more to hang its hat on for awards consideration. Genre shouldn't bother them.

We know Incredibles 2 will probably sweep all awards shows there, but I'd love to see Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse get a win somewhere.

Too bad. By all accounts Spider-Verse is a Top 10 movie of the year.

Jarmel

The Jackrabbit Always Wins
Oct 25, 2017
New York
Black Panther was better than BKM. Widows better than both.
Black Panther probably is a better film overall than BKM, IMO, but the direction in BKM has a very auteur feel to it much more so than Black Panther. In addition the material itself for BKM lends itself better to critics than BP. So again I can understand why it made it even if I didn't particularly like the film.

base_two

Oct 27, 2017

Because someone in this very thread literally said "I feel like the only reason it's there is to stave off social media backlash and articles talking about "are they out of touch for not nominating black panther". No one wants another Oscars So White equivalent."

Please stop handwaving this type of crap.

Dec 12, 2017
Black Panther probably is a better film overall than BKM, IMO, but the direction in BKM has a very auteur feel to it much more so than Black Panther. In addition the material itself for BKM lends itself better to critics than BP. So again I can understand why it made it even if I didn't particularly like the film.

You, I like.