• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Zero315

Oct 25, 2017
Glad to see Pose, and especially Billy Porter, up there. Pose is probably my top show of the year and Billy Porter is incredible in it.

BrickArts295

GOTY Tracking Thread Master
Oct 26, 2017
Time for The Americans to bring it home.
the-americans-season-4.gif

Last edited:

lazybones18

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Hooray for both Lucas Hedges and Mirai getting nods. Shame about Sorry to Bother You and Widows getting snubbed.

Instead of complaining about Black Panther getting nods, focus that shit on Green Book (yuck)

Androidsleeps

Oct 27, 2017
Also, Paddington 2 was robbed and so was Counterparr (the best new series I've seen this year). Does the lack of This is Us means people will finally stop pretending this show is anywhere near award-worthy? Let's hope so.

P.S. The Alienist getting some love pleases me. The show wasn't that great but it really surprised me since we don't get lots of good historical dramas set in the 1800s.

Playco Armboy

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Black Panther probably is a better film overall than BKM, IMO, but the direction in BKM has a very auteur feel to it much more so than Black Panther. In addition the material itself for BKM lends itself better to critics than BP. So again I can understand why it made it even if I didn't particularly like the film.

Black Panther was reviewed better, actually.

Nov 30, 2017
Lol if the GG's draw up this much ire man I wonder what the atmosphere here will be like if the Oscars give BP a best picture nom.

Disco

Oct 25, 2017
Paddington 2 definitely robbed considering some of the shit that gets into Golden Globes comedy or musical category every year. Thats an easy top 10 of the year.

Oct 27, 2017
Edinburgh, Scotland
why is Black Panther the nomination everyone's getting mad about?

that's not even one of the dumb ones, that's not even close to one of the dumbest ones.

i mean, Bohemian Rhapsody is right there.

Curufinwe

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
DE
Also, Paddington 2 was robbed and so was Counterparr (the best new series I've seen this year). Does the lack of This is Us means people will finally stop pretending this show is anywhere near award-worthy? Let's hope so.

P.S. The Alienist getting some love pleases me. The show wasn't that great but it really surprised me since we don't get lots of good historical dramas set in the 1800s.

I wanted to love The Alienist and in the end it was just alright/good.

cLOUDo

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
There is a lot of awful choices right there but I have curious about Mary Poppins

The release date is December 19th
Lol

jakomocha

Oct 29, 2017
California
Goddamn Hereditary got snubbed. Toni Collette deserves best actress for sure. Also, A Quiet Place deserves recognition.

How similar do the Golden Globe film nominations usually end up being to the Oscars? Because if this is what the Oscars is gonna look like, then its gonna be pretty damn middling.

Oct 27, 2017

It's funny because we've had numerous articles about BP's award season chances being good throughout the year. The Academy even tried to create a whole new entire category for a film like it to be nominated. The writing was all over the wall, but now people want to act shocked, salty and outraged for some reason.

Also, keep in mind BP is one of the highest rated films, from a critical standpoint, of the year(RT and Metacritic).

Kismet

Banned
Nov 9, 2017
Talking about scores...

The latest Mission Impossible scored better when you count the audience score as well.

No nomination for that?

Both MI and BP were just OK in my book.

I prefered A Qiet Place, Hereditary and Overlord

zsynqx

Oct 25, 2017
Paddington 2 definitely robbed considering some of the shit that gets into Golden Globes comedy or musical category every year. Thats an easy top 10 of the year.
Completely forgot Paddington 2 didn't come out until this year in the US. Both that and The Death of Stalin deserved noms.

NekoNeko

Banned
Oct 26, 2017

that's not even one of the dumb ones, that's not even close to one of the dumbest ones.

yes!

Black Panther is just okay but i'm happy for the movie and what it means to people but Bohemian Rhapdosy is attrocious.

Deleted member 3542

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I've said this for years and years about the Globes, try again. And no I won't, the AA's has of course had its share of Wtf noms but they're still leagues better than the HFPA

People need to understand how the HFPA works. There's only 90 voters and if people they like don't wine and dine them and give them time and free screenings or give them hours of one on one time with all the stars and directors then they snub them.

In other words, Fox gave them all they wanted. Hence Bohemian Rhapsody.

broncobuster

Oct 26, 2017

Part of me blames the title, because no one actually reads the thread. But people have been weird about BP getting awards before so there's that.

Bohemian Rhapsody definitely sticks out more. Like, not as much as The Tourist getting a GG nom did. But hmm.

mutantmagnet

Oct 28, 2017
It's funny because we've had numerous articles about BP's award season chances being good throughout the year. The Academy even tried to create a whole new entire category for a film like it to be nominated. The writing was all over the wall, but now people want to act shocked, salty and outraged for some reason.

Also, keep in mind BP is one of the highest rated films, from a critical standpoint, of the year(RT and Metacritic).
It isn't "reasons. " There wasn't shock as if they were caught off guard.

People were flat out resistant to Black Panther getting the nom.

I was formerly among that group only because it still is a comic book movie that made some decisions I felt ruined its potential for best picture worthiness.

The writing was on the wall as the critical and cultural acclaim grew inspite of falling short of my own standards which is perfectly fine.

But the people who are still complaining now are more likely against it because of racist tendencies instead of any critical examination of what the film achieved magnificently.

The future they feared is here.

TheTyrant

Nov 27, 2018
Talking about scores...

The latest Mission Impossible scored better when you count the audience score as well.

No nomination for that?

Both MI and BP were just OK in my book.

I prefered A Qiet Place, Hereditary and Overlord
MI would have been a fine nominee. Would have been 100 times better than Bohemian Rhapsody. But lol nobody should be using online anonymous audience scores in 2018.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
Orlando, FL
What does a Golden Globe matter?
Black Panther grossed $1,346,913,161 and has a 97% rating on Rotten Tomatoes.
Add those together and you have a very successful movie.
A Golden Globe award is not important.

Eidan

Avenger
Oct 30, 2017
What are the odds of a Vox article/video about a "Black Panther whitelash" when it gets the Best Picture nom at the Oscars?

Last edited:

broncobuster

Oct 26, 2017
What does a Golden Globe matter?
Black Panther grossed $1,346,913,161 and has a 97% rating on Rotten Tomatoes.
Add those together and you have a very successful movie.
A Golden Globe award is not important.

Golden Globe ain't shit, but Oscars (ignoring all the marketing, politics, and lobbying) is seen as being recognized by your peers, whereas critical acclaim and box office success are two different criteria. So Oscars do mean something. And BP will likely end up getting nominated for an Oscar.