• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Cipherr

Oct 26, 2017
Talking about scores...

The latest Mission Impossible scored better when you count the audience score as well.

No nomination for that?

Both MI and BP were just OK in my book.

I prefered A Qiet Place, Hereditary and Overlord

Wow, BP getting this nomination REALLY bothers you huh..

Mariachi507

Oct 26, 2017
Just saw the noms, so everyone is skipping over Black Panther because they're so confused about Bohemian Rhapsody being nominated. Right? Right? RIGHT?!?!?

Window

Oct 27, 2017
Musical dramas and biopics should not be in the Comedy/Musical category, particularly when they don't have traditional song and dance numbers. It's not fair to either type of film.
Why isn't it fair? If the musical/comedy category isn't worth a damn then why have it at all? This is an arbitrary distinction and made by film distributors to maximise their film's chances of winning the GG and push hype leading to the Oscars. It's a bit of a joke.

latex

Jul 5, 2018
Just saw the noms, so everyone is skipping over Black Panther because they're so confused about Bohemian Rhapsody being nominated. Right? Right? RIGHT?!?!?
The Bohemian Rhapsody love is... baffling to me. Freddie was massively influential in my life and I would have been better off saving my gas and just watching the Live Aid concert on my television. Awful film.

Oct 27, 2017
Black Panther ain't even gotta win anything to send the BP haters on Era into meltdown mode. It's glorious.

Can't wait until it gets a whole bunch of nominations for the Oscars too.

Living rent free in these people's heads for 10 months now.

Also funny how the CBM crowd cries about no CBM representation at these award shows then start whining like bitches when it's Black Panther getting the noms instead of the nerdfest with horrible pacing and a cliched trope of a villain in Infinity War.

I wonder why.

Last edited:

ry-dog

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Happy to see Billy Porter got his well deserved nomination

Deleted member 2809

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Talking about scores...

The latest Mission Impossible scored better when you count the audience score as well.

No nomination for that?

Both MI and BP were just OK in my book.

I prefered A Qiet Place, Hereditary and Overlord
Audience scores are worthless
Still MI:F deserved a nom over stuff like bohemian retconning

TheLucasLite

Aug 27, 2018
I've never put much weight behind the Globes. They always have a handful of baffling nominations each year that have zero chance of also being an Oscar nom. Not saying Black Panther is necessarily one of those, but it could be; though I personally have found 2018 to feel a little weak overall, no movie sticking out high above the rest for me. So anything is possible.

Eddie

Banned
Jun 3, 2018
How TF is Rhapsody even nominated in best drama ? Globes two different t categories for best picture is a joke .

From every damn movie in both best picture categories there isn't one that surely deserves to be in best picture musical/comedy as much as Star is Born but hey! Just give it the big one and surround it by three African American heavy films so we look good while giving Star is Born the award.

a huge f*ck you for that, nobody should be fooled by the globes bs.

theBmZ

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
These lists are usually bullshit anyway, but Bohemian Rhapsody, Black Panther? Really? I liked Black Panther a lot, but it wasnt best picture good. No love for Sorry to Bother You, or Assassination Nation. I thought Mirai was great, but The Night Is Short, Walk On Girl was better.

Rendering...

Oct 30, 2017
Did Blindspotting not qualify for some reason? Because its snubbing is really puzzling.

That nominees list seems like an unapologetic popularity contest. It's not even subtle.

The Black Panther salt from threads like this fuels me.
It's just not best picture material is what it comes down to. There was much better black representation in a healthy handful of films this year. Wakanda is a potent symbol, and Killmonger's final line is powerful for sure, but the movie is not up to snuff.

Last edited:

burgervan

Oct 27, 2017
Whenever I think "Black Panther was great but not 'Best Picture great'," I just have to remind myself of some of the absolute dogshit movies that have been nominated for Best Picture and I feel a lot better about BP getting the nod.

Rendering...

Oct 30, 2017
Again, always love the implication that there can only be one at a time, or that they're interchangeable
In this case the implication is imaginary. No secret racist agenda, so chill. The one and only point to make here is Black Panther is unremarkable in a field of its peers. Sorry to Bother You, Blindspotting, BlacKkKlansman...and those are just the ones I've personally seen. I've heard good things about The Hate U Give and If Beale Street Could Talk too.

BP is a good film with value, but flawed enough that it doesn't deserve to be singled out for the most prestigious awards in the industry.

Why is it so important to some people that BP gets all the love? Why this movie? It's a decent Marvel film with a rather poor third act and CG issues. The most remarkable things about it are the cast (and arguably the director and crew) and the realization of Wakanda--both impressive but not enough to compensate for a merely good plot that wasn't even executed as well as it might have been.

BP has symbolic power as a cultural watershed moment but IMO best picture awards are for great films.

I know I go on about Blindspotting but it was really exceptional and it deserves more exposure.

Last edited:

lenovox1

Oct 26, 2017
Why isn't it fair? If the musical/comedy category isn't worth a damn then why have it at all? This is an arbitrary distinction and made by film distributors to maximise their film's chances of winning the GG and push hype leading to the Oscars. It's a bit of a joke.

Fair is the wrong word to use.

In A Star in Born's case, both the previous music based remakes were nominated in Comedy/Musical. In the case of the 70s version, it was probably out there for the same reason the studio probably pushed for this version to be in the Drama category - because that's where they thought/knew where they could win.

Regardless, both films are diagetic -- all songs are presented as happening in real time in the real world. There's no big song and dance in either film. As you say, the choice for where any film lands is arbitrary.

It's a by-the-numbers rags-to-riches story made by the son of a wealthy stockbrocker and a rich girl from New York. You know, inspiring stuff.

Every version of the film since the Kids Garland remake has been nominated for a Globe. It's prime and pure Oscar/Award Bait..