• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Anth0ny

Oct 25, 2017
ok just signed up for disney+ and the first thing I did was click through the original trilogy

we seem to have a new 4K transfer for the OT. They look decent enough upon first glance. The fact that there was zero marketing for this absolutely blows my mind.

HOWEVER

I went to watch the infamous Greedo/Han scene from the Cantina... and good god almighty. WE HAVE NEW CHANGES. 42 GOD DAMN YEARS AFTER THE FACT. THIS RIDE NEVER ENDS:

For whatever reason Greedo gets a last word in. As if the scene wasn't already deader than dog shit, we have to go even further beyond.

We've gone from:

Yes, I'll bet you have BOOM

to

Yes, I'll bet you have *SLIDES NECK OUT OF THE WAY TO IMPOSSIBLY AVOID POINT BLANK LASER BLAST* BOOM

to now

Yes, I'll bet you have "I'm an alien" *SLIDES NECK OUT OF THE WAY TO IMPOSSIBLY AVOID POINT BLANK LASER BLAST* BOOM

This is a "R2 hides behind rocks" tier change. Like... how? Why? Was George involved here? This is beyond nonsense. They didn't even provide a subtitle for Greedo's new final word there.

Gonna look for more stuff now.

ultracal31

Oct 25, 2017
As I mentioned in the Disney+

The version of Return of the Jedi here is the the Vader screaming no near the end version

OP
OP
Anth0ny

Anth0ny

Oct 25, 2017
sheev still lookin straight out of episode 3 in his hologram scene with vader in ESB.

you know, stuff they could actually tweak that would make sense. totally ignored, of course.

Slaythe

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
Speaking of,

Hayden is still there as well, all smiling and happy

As he should be è.é

If the ghost can regrow limbs, wear any clothes he wants, regrow hair, have an appearance he literally never had, then he can make himself look young to match his mental image of himself before being turned into a monster.

Obiwan was fine being old since he grew old naturally.

Cross-Section

Oct 27, 2017
As I posted in the other thread, this appears to be the only substantial change to ANH; nothing else is new besides the new color timing, the Fox/Lucas logo being the current versions and the typeface on the "A long time ago" and credits getting a redo. CG on Jabba and the Yavin battle looks a bit sharper in 4K as well.

sheev still lookin straight out of episode 3 in his hologram scene with vader in ESB.

you know, stuff they could actually tweak that would make sense. totally ignored, of course.

In the end, they aren't going to override Lucas. The Greedo change feels like a long-argued-about compromise.

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017

That's a change that I don't mind since he looks completely different in Jedi. It's like he was trying out a new look for a few days but then went back to his Episode III look.

sphagnum

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is a "R2 hides behind rocks" tier change. Like... how? Why? Was George involved here?

These are probably the 4K versions that Lucasfilm has been holding back for years. So George was probably involved before the sale.

According to someone on TFN, they also fixed Obi-Wan lightsaber (again) during his duel. Did you notice if they fixed Luke's on the Falcon?

Color grading is apparently more in line with the theatrical releases as well. I hope AotC's blue tint is gone!

OP
OP
Anth0ny

Anth0ny

Oct 25, 2017
"No. NOOOOOOOOOOOOO" still there in Jedi

ghost hayden too

for fucks sake

These are probably the 4K versions that Lucasfilm has been holding back for years. So George was probably involved before the sale.

According to someone on TFN, they also fixed Obi-Wan lightsaber (again) during his duel. Did you notice if they fixed Luke's on the Falcon?

Color grading is apparently more in line with the theatrical releases as well. I hope AotC's blue tint is gone!

honestly can't remember how they looked in the blu ray transfers, but they look fine here. I remember the 2004 DVD lightsabers being completely ruined.

ultracal31

Oct 25, 2017

Luke with the saber looks about the same in the hut and on the falcon

Don't notice anything too different

It may be my phone but Vader red doesn't quite look red enough to me but it's not as bad as the pink saber issue on the 2004 dvd

Zed

Oct 28, 2017
Disney is keeping the OG Star Wars in the vault to release it at a strategic time at a future date.

CloudWolf

Oct 26, 2017
Remember how people were like "Now that Disney has Star Wars, they'll release the original versions". Hah!

OP
OP
Anth0ny

Anth0ny

Oct 25, 2017
Took some shots of the lightsabers:

benvaderp8ktk.png

lukefalconcrjkm.png

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The only change they need is throwing out like half of Ep6, and I'm only half-joking. The fact this series keeps getting retconned with posthumous foreshadowing after decades is just getting absurd, especially considering there's "only" 9 mainline movies with the one coming out next month. Shows how they really are unable to move away from the legacy characters and storylines and they're just trying to ride nostalgia until they can. Here's hoping that Episode 10, whenever that'll be, can finally work as a proper reboot for the universe. Let 500 years pass or something, be the stories about Darth Vader, Han Solo, etc. be just that: legends, myths, stuff they study in schools and that they use as guidance for decisions but ultimately stuff that does not matter in the storyline at all. They need to drop this 40+ years of baggage and for fuck's sake they gotta stop editing old movies to suit their new ones better.

Beer Monkey

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
This Twitter's work is literally never going to end.

1997… 2004… 2011….and now 2019.

Yes, these changes were surely made by Lucas just like the last three rounds of changes

Lynd

Oct 29, 2017
So they finally just outright redid the sabers? Meh.

Please just restore the theatrical cuts...

Zed

Oct 28, 2017
Somehow people will blame GL for this.

It's like poetry.

I still see countless conspiracy theories that GL still retains some legal control over Star Wars and/or he gets residue money from things involving "the original 6 movies and stuff that comes from them" somehow despite not a shred of evidence.

Beer Monkey

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
It's like poetry.

I still see countless conspiracy theories that GL still retains some legal control over Star Wars and/or he gets residue money from things involving "the original 6 movies and stuff that comes from them" somehow despite not a shred of evidence.

Nah, it's just that Lucas was working on a fourth round of revisions and that's what Disney got as the latest edit. No conspiracy needed.

Deleted member 48828

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 21, 2018
I mean, it's getting people to talk about D+, and judging by this thread it's done it's job as stealth advertising.

sphagnum

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I kind of like that Greedo change. Seems like he's throwing a really bad insult at Han.

Pottuvoi

Oct 28, 2017
Not the change I was hoping for.
I wouldn't mind a proper fix to the couple of really crap added cgi or reduction of those few unnecessary added scenes.

Plasmid

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I wouldn't mind the changes if disney would just fully restore the original theatrical versions and have them separate.

Ushojax

Oct 30, 2017
That is like, the main thing that desperately needs to be reverted. It completely ruins the greatest scene in the entire franchise. I don't even mind the special editions if you just remove those godawful "NOOOOOO"s.

Imagine being the poor Lucasfilm sound engineer who had to add that NO with George looming over his desk. Probably shed a tear as he was forced to ruin the movie.