• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
I've been watching Harmy for years, holy fuck at that WOOOOO, WOOOOOOOOO sound obi makes when he scares off the Tuskin Raiders Lmfao, what was that?!

I stomached as much as I could, the Jabba scene makes no sense and is one of the most useless, redundant and moronic additions from deleted scenes I've ever seen.

I know this stuff has been in for years but it's incredible to see it in real time.

But hey! Visual quality is pretty good

Last edited:

Darknight

"I'd buy that for a dollar!"
Oct 25, 2017
2011 rock shot:

BK80Rsy.jpg

2019 version:

UZlE9E7.jpg

Further proof these are new scans with effects redone.

As dumb as the rock being added was, at least they improved it if they're insistent on sticking with it.

carlosrox

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Vancouver BC
These do not look 4k.

A lot of things on this service don't look 4k.

Dark Crystal for example looks SO much better than everything I've checked out here so far.

Dommo

Oct 25, 2017
Australia
Just Disney please switch greedo scene back to normal and get rid of the no from Vader in ROTJ. I can live with the rest.

I would have bought the Star Wars Blu-Rays day one but I straight up never bought them after I saw the Darth Vader no. Wanna put a bunch of CG puppets sing a song for 3 minutes? Fine. Put some inexplicable rocks in front of R2? Whatever. Fill the frame up with unnecessary garbage? I can look past it. But I don't want a version of the films that so aggressively and blatantly fucks with what is probably the major emotional beat of the entire trilogy, completely taking the wind and emotion out of what we've been building towards for the entire thing. Fuck that. It's straight up not worth watching or owning.

And there are people who think Rian Johnson is fucking with their childhood?

Laserdisk

Banned
May 11, 2018
UK
I thought it was already finished, or very close. Last time I saw them one or two years ago I saw the Despecialized editions, if 4K80 takes a bit longer to come out I'll wait until then.

Or else, I can watch my Special Edition 2004 DVDs!!!! Woooo!!!!
real 1 is cleaned up.
5 to go!
They need donations.

"New: Disney confirmed to The Verge just now this change "made by George Lucas made prior to the Disney acquisition."

These were made in 2012/13
I said this earlier in the thread but nobody noticed lol

I would have bought the Star Wars Blu-Rays day one but I straight up never bought them after I saw the Darth Vader no. Wanna put a bunch of CG puppets sing a song for 3 minutes? Fine. Put some inexplicable rocks in front of R2? Whatever. Fill the frame up with unnecessary garbage? I can look past it. But I don't want a version of the films that so aggressively and blatantly fucks with what is probably the major emotional beat of the entire trilogy, completely taking the wind and emotion out of what we've been building towards for the entire thing. Fuck that. It's straight up not worth watching or owning.

And there are people who think Rian Johnson is fucking with their childhood?

People who bought the blurays sent the message they wanted this.
Plus the quality was terrible.

As to George, this is the person the internet wants back....

eXistor

Oct 27, 2017
It does't say it's in 4K here and I skipped to that scene and it was just Han moving out of the way, no extra Greedo line. Different versions for different regions?

Geode

Oct 27, 2017
I'm wondering, was that just old footage sitting in a vault somewhere or something specifically made for the 4K version? If it is the former, then I'm wondering how much stuff was cut from all the OT? I would love to see it all one day.

JahIthBer

Jan 27, 2018
Considering Apple TV 4K quality I'd really disagree.
the comparisons have been done, blu-ray wins slightly in picture quality even if you have a very fast connection, audio blu-ray wins hands down.
Apple TV & other streaming services do have the advantage of HDR over standard blu-ray though.

sphagnum

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm wondering, was that just old footage sitting in a vault somewhere or something specifically made for the 4K version? If it is the former, then I'm wondering how much stuff was cut from all the OT? I would love to see it all one day.

There's tons of stuff filmed for the OT that never got utilized. For example, they dug into the archives to find new footage for some of the pilots in Rogue One during the Battle of Scarif who also appear in ANH.

molnizzle

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I mean is there an actual 4k version of it on Disney+? When I play it, it just looks like 720p-1080p to me.

I know it's still SE though.
I believe ANH is a legitimate 4K master, but I'm not sure on the other two.

Is there 4k80 avaiable? Plus I've only seen 4K77 with DNR floating around. It's not bad DNR but I love my film grain.
Yes, and 83 as well. There are multiple versions of each. DNR optional.

Canoli316

Jan 19, 2018
Where was Greedo's shot supposed to hit? The wall behind Han? I ask this because as Han gets up and walks away, there doesn't seem to be any damage on the wall from Greedo's missed shot.

Slime

Oct 25, 2017
I thought I'd finally get over myself and just watch the special editions for my pre-Episode IX saga rewatch, but I saw like two seconds of ANH CGI Jabba and noped out of there. It's so jarring!!!

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
I thought I'd finally get over myself and just watch the special editions for my pre-Episode IX saga rewatch, but I saw like two seconds of ANH CGI Jabba and noped out of there. It's so jarring!!!
It's incredibly distracting and redundant. Han basically repeats his conversation with Greedo.

Slime

Oct 25, 2017
It's incredibly distracting and redundant. Han basically repeats his conversation with Greedo.

Plus the weird "bounce" Han does when he walks over the tail is as artificial and vaguely creepy as the blaster dodge.

I almost feel like I could tolerate the SEs for the most part if they'd left that on the cutting room floor, but I think Lucas was just high on "LOOK! I WAS PLANNING IT OUT ALL ALONG! REALLY" energy.

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Plus the weird "bounce" Han does when he walks over the tail is as artificial and vaguely creepy as the blaster dodge.

I almost feel like I could tolerate the SEs for the most part if they'd left that on the cutting room floor, but I think Lucas was just high on "LOOK! I WAS PLANNING IT OUT ALL ALONG! REALLY" energy.
Same, the rest of the shit I can groan along with. But the Jabba scene is just inexcusable garbage.

Han calls him a human for God's sake.

cognizant

Dec 19, 2017
I stomached as much as I could, the Jabba scene makes no sense and is one of the most useless, redundant and moronic additions from deleted scenes I've ever seen.

I know this stuff has been in for years but it's incredible to see it in real time.

But hey! Visual quality is pretty good

Out of all the shit Lucas has done, if I had to pick, I'd say the Jabba scene in ANH has to be the worst offender. It literally makes no sense at all and is a substantial scene, not a one second shitty edit or anything.

I'm currently working with a director who can't stop rewriting a script, it's been in development hell for half a decade, I think he's got a weird compulsion, he just can't help himself. Lucas must be suffering from the same thing, kinda like OCD. I predict many more changes to these movies for the next few decades.

MidweekCoyote

Mar 23, 2018
I seriously wonder what's stopping Disney from releasing the OG cuts, but declare the changed version official canon.

Oct 25, 2017
Arizona
I seriously wonder what's stopping Disney from releasing the OG cuts, but declare the changed version official canon.
Maybe a clause put in by Lucas when he sold the franchise?
Lucasfilm respects Lucas's final vision as the "true" version of the films, and Disney allows Lucasfilm to make those decisions. It's that straightforward.

I still like how to this day people refuse to acknowledge Kennedy/Lucasfilm and still exclusively refer to Disney as being behind EVERYTHING, and yet Feige/Marvel Studios are almost invariably referenced over Disney in Marvel discussions.

darthshot

Oct 24, 2019
I never minded the changes, but this latest one is truly non sensical. They've used the same shot that was shown seconds earlier, but only zoomed in, so that the alien walking from right to left wouldn't appear. It's shoddily done.

Lucas wants to tinker it with it, fine. But at least redo all the dated 1997 cgi that looks way worse than other stuff that's 40 years old. And if you do new things DO THEM PROPERLY for Force's sake!

That said, I truly don't understand how a version with seamless branching wasn't done by now for all six movies. This was done on the Alien Quadrilodgy DVD set (!) 15 years ago (as well as Blade Runner and others). You could even have a menu which let you choose which scenes you wanted, letting you keep stuff that made sense (aurebesh on the Death Star, for example) and playing older stuff (like Han Shot first).

Oct 3, 2019
As I mentioned in the Disney+

The version of Return of the Jedi here is the the Vader screaming no near the end version

The camera close up on Vader looking down on Luke was amazing in how much emotion was able to conveyed through a mask. One of the best scenes ever.

And then it was fucking ruined by adding in that stupid scream. It's the only change to the OT I think is unforgivable.

Kinthey

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I hope it's at least the 2004 version (bottom one)

jvUrezN.jpg

Lucas really jumped the gun with the CG improvements. Nowadays you could probably make a CG Jabba that fairly closely resembles the puppet from ROTJ

Last edited:

NuclearCake

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Luckily there is always a way to watch this movies in the original intended way thanks to fan efforts that far surpass any of the official crap that Disney is trying to sell. So in that regard Star Wars is in a fortunate place.

rashbeep

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah. I completely forgot about that until I watched it with my gf for her first time. "You're a wonderful human being" was a little jarring to hear lol

I always thought that line was supposed to be tongue in cheek, but didn't realize until later that the original scene had a man playing Jabba

:/

Jegriva

Banned
Sep 23, 2019
Naw, you need a high level of movie pirating experience to get access to the files.
And a blu ray writer.

You know, everyone got one of those.

Same, the rest of the shit I can groan along with. But the Jabba scene is just inexcusable garbage.

Han calls him a human for God's sake.
I appreciate the animator who thought to animate Jabba after that line like he was insulted by that.