• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Dec 22, 2017
So Disney would have to go to an even older, worse condition film and do a complete remaster from whatever state that's in after another 30 years of degradation.

I have an entire book about the lengths Disney went to in order to find and restore all the old Oswald the Lucky Rabbit cartoons when they got the rights back. And the return on investment was basically zero. They just did it because they wanted to. I think they'd actually love to work on restoring the theatrical releases. Plus it would sell 10 million more copies than an Oswald collection ever would.

They'd put top men on it. TOP MEN.

EarlGreyHot

Oct 27, 2017
Will we ever get an official re-release of the original cut in 4K? Please?

All these changes are shit. I still can't believe what they did to ANH... And don't even get me started on that awful music number in ROTJ and the added NOOOOOOOOOOO

Nov 13, 2017
Obi-Wan's lightsaber is finally fixed!

7fnfCUm.jpg

More:

u7Pkw67.jpg

32WbVni.jpg

0RmxSai.jpg
It doesn't look any different, just the exact same asset reanimated.

edit: one more:

jCwXpHe.jpg
F*ck me, this is beautiful šŸ˜­ Is there any website doing a comprehensive shot-by-shot comparison?

AlexFlame116

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Utah
Luckily there is always a way to watch this movies in the original intended way thanks to fan efforts that far surpass any of the official crap that Disney is trying to sell. So in that regard Star Wars is in a fortunate place.
Why are you blaming Disney on this one???

This is a George Lucas thing.

NuclearCake

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Why are you blaming Disney on this one???

This is a George Lucas thing.

Because Disney is the one selling this crap. They could give the fans what they want but they chose not to. I don't care that George was the one who made these, its still Disney who chose to release them, despite them obviously being complete crap.

VonGreckler

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Because Disney is the one selling this crap. They could give the fans what they want but they chose not to. I don't care that George was the one who made these, its still Disney who chose to release them, despite them obviously being complete crap.

Crap? Hyperbole much?
They are much better masters than the blu-rays and are 4k. Color grading alone is much better.
No one ever knows if the originals without special edition stuff even have transfers that would be usable due to how George handled the 97 releases.

NuclearCake

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Crap? Hyperbole much?
They are much better masters than the blu-rays and are 4k. Color grading alone is much better.
No one ever knows if the originals without special edition stuff even have transfers that would be usable due to how George handled the 97 releases.

Well yes these are slightly better than the blu-rays but that doesn't really make them good. The end result is still something i would never want to sit down and watch. I'm pretty sure a company like Disney could release the originals. They just chose not to because a sizeable amount will still eat up whatever they put out.

show me your skeleton

#1 Bugsnax Fan
Oct 28, 2017
skeleton land
Will we ever get an official re-release of the original cut in 4K? Please?

All these changes are shit. I still can't believe what they did to ANH... And don't even get me started on that awful music number in ROTJ and the added NOOOOOOOOOOO
it's believed that the special edition/first rerelease changes was 'taped over' for what of a better term, the original prints. there is an original print, going back so far that it doesn't even say 'episode iv - a new hope', in the library of congress, not sure if they could scan that.

Zippedpinhead

Oct 25, 2017
it's believed that the special edition/first rerelease changes was 'taped over' for what of a better term, the original prints. there is an original print, going back so far that it doesn't even say 'episode iv - a new hope', in the library of congress, not sure if they could scan that.
As recently as a decade ago those limited edition DVDs that came with the "theatrical version", I believe were based on the laserdisc master and could be a start.

BDS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I love how in 27 different special editions, edits, and retcons, Lucas never removed Luke and Leia making out.

Narpas Sword0

Oct 28, 2017
As recently as a decade ago those limited edition DVDs that came with the "theatrical version", I believe were based on the laserdisc master and could be a start.

You can't use that as a start. The laserdisc conversions are not even 480p.You need to remaster off the actual film. The actual film the laserdiscs were derived from was turned into the SEs. So they would need to physically locate other original film, which even in the 90s was in worse condition than the film used for the SEs, which has now degraded another three decades, and start over from there.

I have those DVDs. They aren't even anamorphic. They play in a postage stamp on a modern tv, even a 1080p one.

Halbrand

Oct 27, 2017
So much more detail in the new remasters with less shadow crush. Just look at Vader's cape. Less clipping on the highlights too if you look at the reflections on the stormtroopers.

star-wars4-movie-screencaps.com-457.jpg

aBchi3g.png

Halbrand

Oct 27, 2017
I'm hearing the new masters are becoming available on other services like Google Play but I can't confirm

TableBeRound

Alt account
Banned
Oct 21, 2019
As someone who was introduced to Star Wars with the 1997 special editions I don't take issue with any of those changes. What they did in 2004 (inserting ROTS Palpatine & Anakin, changing Boba Fett's voice and for some reason creating a new CG Jabba that still doesn't' look anything like the ROTJ version) irked me to no end. And then on top of that they added CG rocks (silly) to ANH and Vader's ROTS "Nooo" to ROTJ for the Blu-ray (and I guess this Disney+ version). At this point they could make so much money if they released a Blu-Ray set that has the originals, the 1997, 2004, 2011 and 2019 versions on it. They could ask like 900$ for it and it'd still sell like hotcakes.

TableBeRound

Alt account
Banned
Oct 21, 2019
Is it actually true that the original negatives were permanently altered by Lucas or has that been debunked?

FaceHugger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
User banned (1 day): Posting unmarked spoilers
MOD EDIT: SPOILER REMOVED

Last edited by a moderator:
Oct 25, 2017
Some of the changes are for the better, but theres a few I never liked. Like changing boba fetts voice. You get why boba fett was considered a badass when you hear the old dialog.The way he talks back to vader sounds amazing, It's all in the line delivery. The new dubbing sounds much more complacent by comparison.

Don't like return of the jedi jabba song either, the overuse of random cgi people in mos eyesley. The vader noo and the greedo thing. But there were a lot of cool additions with things like the space battles. Also, maclunky kind of makes the scene work slightly better than before, even though the original is still miles better.

TAJ

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Is it actually true that the original negatives were permanently altered by Lucas or has that been debunked?

That's true.
I never found a definitive answer on what happened to the trims.
BUT... most of what was removed was optical shots and Lucasfilm still has the original elements for those, which is weird but cool. So we could potentially get much better-looking versions of those shots using only the original photography. There are are actually several shots like that in the altered versions The Empire Strikes Back in the Hoth battle.

Toxi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
That is like, the main thing that desperately needs to be reverted. It completely ruins the greatest scene in the entire franchise. I don't even mind the special editions if you just remove those godawful "NOOOOOO"s.
I'm in this boat. Every other change pales in comparison to this horrible one.

Oct 25, 2017
If they bring this in 4K UHD they better included Dolby Vision. No excuse if Disney Plus has it and the Blu Ray UHD doesn't.
You could say that for a lot of their movies. I agree with you, it's a shame that they don't care about the presentation of their content on the super expensive UHD's.

And why is Endgame and Infinity war not even in imax ! the home releases has obvious cropping. Their earlier films at least had that in the 3d versions.

Deleted member 43657

User requested account closure
Banned
May 19, 2018
Here's a hypothetical:

Say Disney decides to release the original trilogy in its original theatrical presentation. What special edition changes would you like to see retained if any? For me, the only positive change I can think of is the emperor's appearance in The Empire Strikes Back.

smisk

Oct 27, 2017
Phil Noto blew my mind tweeting about how Han's jacket at the beginning of ESB is actually brown, not blue. Apparently this is the first time in a home release it's properly color graded.

Ryan.

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Here's a hypothetical:

Say Disney decides to release the original trilogy in its original theatrical presentation. What special edition changes would you like to see retained if any? For me, the only positive change I can think of is the emperor's appearance in The Empire Strikes Back.
Boba Fett's voice. I would also want them to do a better job at matching the Emperor's face with his RotJ look.