• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Daverytimes

Oct 25, 2017
So for next year, another Toyota win, huh? It's too bad Porsche retired after 2017, things would have been much more interesting.

Am happy for them to rack up as many wins as they can, others have done it and I think it's their turn. The way Audi and Porsche left the series left a sour taste in my mouth. Audi dominated without much competetion and when competetion finally came they ran with their tails between their legs. The TS050 is possibly one of the best lmp1 ever made (along with the 919) and deserves some Le man victories.

Last edited:

RaySpencer

Oct 27, 2017
Didnt watch any of this, but Im an Alonso fan, how did his stint go in this race? I saw that the team won, and the last driver was a Japanese guy which is awesome.

OP
OP

Deleted member 16516

User requested account closure
Oct 27, 2017
Didnt watch any of this, but Im an Alonso fan, how did his stint go in this race? I saw that the team won, and the last driver was a Japanese guy which is awesome.
His stints were consistent and what you'd expect from Alonso, but he didn't seem settled or as comfortable as last year. There was nothing as impressive as his night shift at Le Mans 2018 for example.

RaySpencer

Oct 27, 2017
His stints were consistent and what you'd expect from Alonso, but he didn't seem settled or as comfortable as last year. There was nothing as impressive as his night shift at Le Mans 2018 for example.

Thanks. I remember hearing last year that he did some amazing stuff, so I was hoping there was something similar. But consistently good is always nice. Haha

OP
OP

Deleted member 16516

Oct 27, 2017
Thank you.

A OT for the WEC would be good, it would get more people interested and involved maybe for the run-up to Le Mans next year.
I agree. A dedicated WEC thread should garner enough interest over the course of the season and get more people interested in endurance racing.

I'll have a thread up by the time of the opener at Silverstone.

OP
OP

Deleted member 16516

Oct 27, 2017
Testing footage of the Toyota GR Concept that the Hypercar will be based on.

Kind of reminds me of the Nissan R390 GT1:

1998_nissan_r390_gt1_road_car_concept_by_edmonddantes9285_dd9hgnn-pre.jpg

Last edited:
Am happy for them to rack up as many wins as they can, others have done it and I think it's their turn. The way Audi and Porsche left the series left a sour taste in my mouth. Audi dominated without much competetion and when competetion finally came they ran with their tails between their legs. The TS050 is possibly one of the best lmp1 ever made (along with the 919) and deserves some Le man victories.
Yeah, that kinda had to do with Dieselgate and Audi and Porsche being VAG companies.

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If they stick around, I hope Conway, Lopez and Kobayashi snatch the win next year, they absolutely deserve it for what they've shown in this super season.

thefro

Oct 25, 2017
Nah. The WEC title doesn't count for the Triple Crown (and Alonso won the 2018 Le Mans 24hr).

There was talk that before that Alonso might try to go for a "Super Triple Crown", which would be F1 World title, IndyCar title, WEC title, Monaco GP, Indy 500, 24 Hrs of LeMans, but McLaren was completely out to lunch at Indy this year.

OP
OP

Deleted member 16516

Oct 27, 2017
There was talk that before that Alonso might try to go for a "Super Triple Crown", which would be F1 World title, IndyCar title, WEC title, Monaco GP, Indy 500, 24 Hrs of LeMans, but McLaren was completely out to lunch at Indy this year.
Now that he's left endurance racing, I think the IndyCar accolades will be his immediate target.

OP
OP

Deleted member 16516

Oct 27, 2017
Yep. Indy first, then I think we might see him in a few other milestone events. Doing the Bathurst 1000 was mentioned. It wouldn't surprise me if we see him having a crack at the Daytona 500..
He's tested for the Dakar Rally too, so that might be his final target before calling it a day.

A1an

Oct 26, 2017
UK

Love that!

Alonso should try for other races also, I think though as the Triple Crown is Monaco GP, Indy 500, 24 Hrs of LeMans, any of these races are also within reach for Alonso I would think 24 Hours of Daytona, 12 Hours of Sebring, Bathurst 1000, Dakar Rally and VLN Nürburgring or 24 Hours Nürburgring are also an option.

ODD

Oct 25, 2017
The #85 Ford was disqualified too. Damn, I was so happy for Felipe Fraga...

ODD

Oct 25, 2017
BTW, since this thread is the official one for the 24 Hours of Nürburgring, here's where the race will be streamed for free:

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Bummed to see Bleekemolen losing the win in the GTE Am, but on the other hand they won by less than a minute, and if they were running with more fuel than allowed, chances are they managed to save at least one pit stop over the course of 24 hours. By all calculations, that irregularity handed the crew the win. So it's deserved. Sucks for the drivers but it is what it is.

OP
OP

Deleted member 16516

Oct 27, 2017
Yes, very reminiscent of the mid 2000s when it was Audi versus the privateers, before Peugeot and Toyota entered.

A1an

Oct 26, 2017
UK
I was looking at going to the first WEC race at Silverstone (I am still thinking about it) but I am not sure what cars are going to be racing, it is ok for Toyota and Aston Martin to show images of cars they are on about entering but the start of the season is just over three months away really, have these cars even been built yet surely not considering they only announced the new rules last week, looking at the current car list it's the same cars as 2018/2019.

OP
OP

Deleted member 16516

Oct 27, 2017
I was looking at going to the first WEC race at Silverstone (I am still thinking about it) but I am not sure what cars are going to be racing, it is ok for Toyota and Aston Martin to show images of cars they are on about entering but the start of the season is just over three months away really, have these cars even been built yet surely not considering they only announced the new rules last week, looking at the current car list it's the same cars as 2018/2019.
I wouldn't expect to see any of the Hypercars this year, maybe we'll see them testing in 2020 and officially entering the WEC after Le Mans 2020.

A1an

Oct 26, 2017
UK
I wouldn't expect to see any of the Hypercars this year, maybe we'll see them testing in 2020 and officially entering the WEC after Le Mans 2020.

They should have sorted the rules at the start of this year, they have been talking about it for long enough, they could have had a couple of cars testing at the races there have been this year, announcing the new rules/specs this late just means that the next season is going to be pretty poor, all the teams will be looking on to 2020/2021 and this (up-coming) season will have nothing, it will be a waste.

OP
OP

Deleted member 16516

Oct 27, 2017
They should have sorted the rules at the start of this year, they have been talking about it for long enough, they could have had a couple of cars testing at the races there have been this year, announcing the new rules/specs this late just means that the next season is going to be pretty poor, all the teams will be looking on to 2020/2021 and this (up-coming) season will have nothing, it will be a waste.
Yes indeed. The FIA and the ACO made a mess of this and should have finalised the regulations much earlier. I just hope that the WEC doesn't lose too much of its fanbase because of this.

pennanton

Oct 31, 2017
To add Bathurst 1000 and any Nordschleife race along with the Indy 500 would never be beaten more so with the Dakar.

I don't think Alonso has any chance of winning the 1000, really. It's probably the hardest hardest race for an outside of the series driver to win the the world atm. He'd be better off contesting the 12hr.

Dan

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think Alonso has any chance of winning the 1000, really. It's probably the hardest hardest race for an outside of the series driver to win the the world atm. He'd be better off contesting the 12hr.

I'd agree with that. I think the 1000 is certainly harder than Indy. Not many "outsiders" to V8 Supercars have jumped in and done well in that race.

OP
OP

Deleted member 16516

Oct 27, 2017
Always nice to look back at previous Le Mans 24 Hour races:

1999 was one of my favourite years since starting in the early nineties.