• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Nabbit

Oct 25, 2017
471030-Header-noscale.jpg');

This cover art is known for being iconically weird. Destructoid tracked down one of the persons responsible for the cover art, and it's an interesting read.

Matt Guss said:
My ad agency had the Kemco account, and our task was to develop packaging and marketing materials for over 40 titles. Kemco would typically buy their games from 3rd party developers in Japan. Some were good, and some were not good. Weaker games needed more help graphically to get them to stand out on the retail shelf. We wanted people to pick up the package, get engaged with the story, and buy the damn game. The package was also used to help Kemco sell the game to retailers, so it had to make the buyers think the game would sell at their stores (i.e. Walmart, etc.). Most of the games back then were in a look-alike category: same genre, same kind of graphics. Nothing to differentiate them from each other. Keith was not a gamer, and, in fact, none of us were in our agency. But Keith was a brilliant idea guy and always was. We knew the game didn't have a lot to offer, but we wanted to make the package arresting. Keith called this kind of thing the "heavy huh factor." If we couldn't do anything else, we'd try and get the potential purchaser to stare at the package and try and figure out what just happened. Today it might be called a WTF moment.

So Keith could have done some predictable spaceship shooting bullshit that would have been like every other game out there. Or he could create a story that would make people stop and think about it. And I guess it's proof that was a good idea because people are still thinking about it. Phalanx was a very average game with an unexpected cover design. It needed a great/weird idea to stand out from the crowd.

Full story of how they discovered this at the link.

https://www.destructoid.com/discovering-the-mystery-behind-the-phalanx-cover-art-471030.phtml (via GoNintendo.com)

Dusk Golem

Local Horror Enthusiast
Oct 25, 2017
To be honest it's pretty much what I always expected to be the answer, but the details around it are interesting to know and as a person who wants there to preservation of the gaming medium history, I think it's good to 'officially' know as it's a fun little tidbit.

SatoAilDarko

Oct 25, 2017
Keith called this kind of thing the "heavy huh factor." If we couldn't do anything else, we'd try and get the potential purchaser to stare at the package and try and figure out what just happened. Today it might be called a WTF moment.

The heavy huh factor and a WTF moment are good descriptors of what they were going for with the cover.

Also good band names.

Osu 16 Bit

QA Lead at NetherRealm Studios
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago, IL
Did anyone buy it though? Like I also remember it and knew of it back then, but as a kid I never cared to play it. I wonder if it being so weird actually helped, because being memorable doesn't matter if no one's buying it.

cakely

Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
True story: I rented and played the game when it was released, certainly for hours. I cannot remember a single thing about the game other than that it was a side-scrolling shooter that was pretty difficult.

I do remember looking at the box, though.

I vaguely recalled shooting at space fish, but nope, that was Darius Twin.

-shadow-

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Regardless if we knew it or not. They did a bang up job with that cover! I really can't believe it, but it's certainly something in gaming pop culture and I hope it's never forgotten.

thebullfrog

Oct 25, 2017
I'm going to have to go ahead and declare that I have a huge soft spot for Phalanx. Cover art aside, I've always thoroughly enjoyed the game. I suck balls at it still to this day, but I like it.

Deleted member 4372

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Phalanx SNES Gameplay:

I never played this game but I've always remembered the box art. Seems a bit shitty. The music and sfx are pretty bad and the graphics have some nice paralax scrolling happening but I wish it had better art/animation.

Deleted member 9305

Oct 26, 2017
That cover is truly legendary. Here are the covers from the other regions for reference:

CCBPnUm.jpg

SaberVS7

Oct 25, 2017
Err, I thought the US cover was because the original Japanese cover was a GIANT FLYING SPACE PENIS that wouldn't make its way past NOA unscathed.

Deleted member 11018

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It is funny, i always read thoughts of a game being average and unmemorable, but i remember the game pretty well because i loved the main ship design (i kept drawing it in my own levels on paper with friends visiting to "play and draw" during off-days) and overall mood of the graphics. I must not have been the only one, if i remember correctly the game was remade for the GBA :/

It was, to me, the best "B tier" (not top-devs) shmup on the SNES... better than Blazeon, Earth Defense Force, Biometal, D-Force, etc

//ARCANUM

Oct 25, 2017
Well that's pretty awesome. Makes sense when you think about it, but awesome nonetheless.

BocoDragon

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I definitely picked up the box and stared at it back in the day. Can't say it got me to play it, though. I've never even so much as fired it up in an emulator.

Mabase

Oct 29, 2017
Absolutely legendary cover. 20 years on, and I'll certainly never forget it.

meppi64

Self-Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Allright, that's one mystery explained.
Now let's get back to Karnaaj Rally!

dqZBJ2K.jpg

Sakujou

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I expected something similar, nothing really that mindblowing, if you're asking me.

lordmrw

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
I certainly bought it back in the day. For $15.00 a few months after it was released. Don't know if I would say mission accomplished with that cover.

HellBlazer

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 26, 2017
It's certainly a memorable cover, and while the WTF factor is definitely present, that never actually made me want to give it a try as a kid so... Not sure they really succeeded with their goal there.

ASaiyan

Oct 25, 2017
That cover is truly legendary. Here are the covers from the other regions for reference:

CCBPnUm.jpg
Err, I thought the US cover was because the original Japanese cover was a GIANT FLYING SPACE PENIS that wouldn't make its way past NOA unscathed.
This is the real TIL in this thread, lol. The art they made for the NA packaging is weird, but what they actually had to start with from Japan was...wow, that is really something. It's like, literally a cucumber with rocket boosters on the back.
And/or a giant green space penis

Oct 27, 2017
Did anyone buy it though? Like I also remember it and knew of it back then, but as a kid I never cared to play it. I wonder if it being so weird actually helped, because being memorable doesn't matter if no one's buying it.

I did, but used at Funcoland back in 95-96. I ended up loving it and I enjoyed a lot of the music and levels. Had some really nice parallax scrolling. I always remember mission 5 because you had assault a battleship. The level wasn't on rails and you could take your time taking out the different pieces of the ship. Tough game though.