• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Tonight I rewatched the original, mostly due to all the talk about the remake, like the reviews and the new soundtrack. I just had a great need to revisit this classic.

I think that despite being as beloved as it is, the visual and art design of The Lion King almost kinda isn't as appreciated as it should be. So much emphasis has been put on the graphical quality of the remake that it seems people have forgotten how good the original Lion King looks. This is a mindbogglingly gorgeous movie, with a striking yet highly varied color palette. Every frame pops out of the screen and is composited beautifully.

After being done with my rewatch, I couldn't help but make a buncha gifs. I may have overdone it, but screw it.

QLrcNqQ.gif

nRQW42T.gif

Ifbbfi3.gif

9NNk91F.gif

hwyW0Sf.gif

PzcQJST.gif

2e6zpRr.gif

hTcp7GU.gif

UuKPn94.gif

GK2T037.gif

M2uJass.gif

MkK88z1.gif

8pCt8pQ.gif

4GupdQV.gif

4oktLRp.gif

8DwpifR.gif

AAyPB0s.gif

eAX0Xy0.gif

0XRjSFc.gif

m7QFqTQ.gif

7lC9jN0.gif

0PmqAuV.gif

FLtjx1l.gif

87Ba1mc.gif

T2OzutE.gif

0x3uQOh.gif

LXsKAZa.gif

Pjmjaux.gif

vSU0HjN.gif

0WRoqNi.gif

SxHDtUZ.gif

U20eGBd.gif

bVnSshu.gif

CX5dMSb.gif

2CPziCH.gif

WNe5ocx.gif

M13Zabj.gif

GhHt61S.gif

9GS1cWS.gif

Xmg1AKM.gif

cp4uH0Q.gif

FE08zN8.gif

The Struggler

Alt Account
Banned
Jul 3, 2019
This is why the new one sucks, no exaggerated colour and loss of passion. They should have into the spiderverse'd this

Spinluck

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Chicago
Thanks for reminding us all that 2D animated motion picture films are dead.

Thank you for also reminding us how visually striking the Lion King is. Great film.

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
Thanks for reminding us all that 2D animated motion picture films are dead.

Thank you for also reminding us how visually striking the Lion King is. Great film.

It bothers me to no end that Disney with all its wealth doesn't have at least one studio keeping what put them on the map alive.
Disney really acting like they can't afford to have a passion project studio.

itwasTuesday

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
Going through the soundtrack listening to I just can't wait to be king I had to double check the original to make sure I was listening to the new one.

Oct 30, 2017
To think, when it was in production it was once considered the B-project, being a talking animal musical, compared to their then more "serious" project, Pochantas that was also in production, lol.

Even Disney didn't quite grasp the amazing thing they were working on.

May 21, 2018
It was an achievement in animation too I believe. The wildebeest stampede was and looked absolutely amazing back then.

The same scene in the remake just feels like, "Meh, CG."

Spinluck

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Chicago
They're not quite dead yet.

In fact, the most vivid and impressive looking animated film of the year comes out the same day as The Lion King...

... in Japan, anyhow.

tumblr_pscrstpJHF1r60zuio1_500.gif

I keep forgetting Japan puts out some great stuff and the occasional Euro 2D stuff.

I think Brad Bird had it right when he said American filmmakers are just too chicken shit to put money behind them. And 2D animaters here in the States got hosed from studios and aren't easy to find anymore. Especially with computer animation being taught everywhere now.

RochHoch

One Winged Slayer
May 22, 2018
Going by the title, I thought this was going to be a sarcastic thread shitting on the remake lol

But seriously though, good stuff. The Lion King is a masterpiece.

Kurdel

Nov 7, 2017
I need to watch this in HD, this movie is my childhood.

These gifs are sublime, thank you for this thread!

Halbrand

Oct 27, 2017
It looks ok, but I threw my Blu Ray in the garbage since the old cartoon version isn't necessary anymore

Tbm24

Oct 25, 2017
I'm honestly not interested in seeing the remake because it's full cg. I feel like the emotions aren't going to translate from 2D to a cgi life like lion cub or lion.

Starwing

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 31, 2018
As beautiful now as it was when I watched it as a kid. Lovely gifs.

Steven

Oct 27, 2017
TLK is one of my favorite films of all time. A drop dead gorgeous movie. And a piece of my childhood. The remake... I wouldn't touch with a 10 foot pole, not only is it shitting on my childhood but it's a reminder that for some reason Disney refuses to do 2D animation despite it being some of if not straight up their best work.

Thanks OP for doing God's work

Deleted member 5127

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
When I was a kid in the 90s I was excited and curious about what the future of 2D animation would bring, little did I know that it would be dead and that the best 2D animation films would be still from the 90s.

DrForester

Mod of the Year 2006
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, but what if we remade it in a format that doesn't allow the characters to emote with their faces....

Peru

Oct 26, 2017
It has charm, and obviously looks great compared to the new CGI one, but it also showed weaknesses of the animation style of 90s Disney, especially as it experimented with mixing CGI into the digital 2D animation. Parts of it looks like cheap flash animation. No 2D animation will ever look as good as golden age early Disney movies, because it's too resource intensive. But it can still look better than the Lion King, which was made in an awkward transitional period.

AzorAhai

Oct 29, 2017
The greatest western animated movie. A true work of art. Modern Disney is sometimes good, but never great.

At least we still have Makoto Shinkai.

Stiler

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
I wish traditional hand drawn animation wasn't dead, especially from Disney, they always delivered amazing quality animation in their movies.

Dwebble

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
The original's combination of plausible animal animation with recognisable human emotions was a staggering accomplishment, and the remake was doomed from the moment it chose to exclusively focus on the first and completely ignore the latter.

Scullibundo

Oct 25, 2017
Love when you make your gif heavy threads.

TLK indeed looks beautiful.

But now do the same thread for The Prince of Egypt.