• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

NekoFever

Oct 25, 2017
To think, when it was in production it was once considered the B-project, being a talking animal musical, compared to their then more "serious" project, Pochantas that was also in production, lol.

Even Disney didn't quite grasp the amazing thing they were working on.
Mostly B-team animators too - most of the ones considered the best at Disney were on Pocahontas. This film allowed a lot of younger talent at Disney to step up.

MisterHero

Oct 25, 2017
It has charm, and obviously looks great compared to the new CGI one, but it also showed weaknesses of the animation style of 90s Disney, especially as it experimented with mixing CGI into the digital 2D animation. Parts of it looks like cheap flash animation. No 2D animation will ever look as good as golden age early Disney movies, because it's too resource intensive. But it can still look better than the Lion King, which was made in an awkward transitional period.
the fuck at all of this, especially the flash comparison

Annoying Old Party Man

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
The Lion King made me want to become an animator. I never became one but such was its power. The naturalistic scenes (like the scene with the tropical rain) or the scenes in the intro with the animals was the most breath taking thing I had seen as a child - and it still gives me the chills.

Rand a. Thor

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Greece
Just did a Rewatch myself in preparation for the remake, and its just as I remember it. Scene to Scene, Dialogue to Dialogue, its all just so wholly ingrained in my brain. Its beautiful, its funny, and it just gets my emotions going. As an adult I still remember watching this for the first time, one of my first memories of watching something at home, and the father son relationship is just as moving.
If you were lucky as me and had the same relationship as I did with my dad, you cannot hold back the tears with Simba seeing his father as this Superman idol, and then being reminded that the ideal died long ago as you started realizing as a young adult that the passage of time will mean he will get old, he will get weaker, and that as a human he does have faults. And watching it now, seeing my father become weaker and older, it gets harder to watch the movie because I keep seeing myself and my dad in Simba and Mufasa, we had the same mentor/buddy strict when he needed to he synergy, same noogies, same everything. God damn it this movie.

Malajax

Oct 27, 2017
When they re-released it a few years back in 3d, I was tearing up in the theater simply for how stunning it all looked. Absolutely breathtaking.

1upsuper

Jan 30, 2018
I'm not the biggest fan of 90s era Disney movies but I adore The Lion King. The movie is a celebration of life itself.

NameUser

Oct 25, 2017
Some of the reviews for the new movie mentioned how the CGI characters can't make a wide range of facial expressions because the animators are trying to keep things as realistic as possible. That alone kinda kills the movie for me. Their was so much joy and terror on Simba's face throughout the old movie.

Solid SOAP

One Winged Slayer
Nov 27, 2017
Seeing all these gorgeous gifs leaves me worried of the inevitable "live action" remake craze affecting other great animated works, like Miyzaki's films and Pixar.

Imagine fucking Spirited Away in live action. Fuck!

Housecat

Oct 25, 2017
It is my favorite movie, music, character designs and everything ever. It meant so much for me growing up and still do. I watch it at least once a year, never get bored of it.

OP
OP
jett

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
It has charm, and obviously looks great compared to the new CGI one, but it also showed weaknesses of the animation style of 90s Disney, especially as it experimented with mixing CGI into the digital 2D animation. Parts of it looks like cheap flash animation. No 2D animation will ever look as good as golden age early Disney movies, because it's too resource intensive. But it can still look better than the Lion King, which was made in an awkward transitional period.

What?

It was an achievement in animation too I believe. The wildebeest stampede was and looked absolutely amazing back then.

The same scene in the remake just feels like, "Meh, CG."

It's still an amazing looking sequence today. And it's unbelievable how well the CGI has held up, it just mixes in perfectly with the hand-painted scenery and the hand-animated characters.

IsThatHP

Oct 31, 2017
I try not to get so wound up in talking about cartoons as a grown ass adult but dang, the opening of the Lion King is a legitimately overwhelming experience to me. I can't see it without getting flush in the face, a bit short of breath, and misty-eyed. It's that majestic.

I'm not interested in the remakes for any of these films, but I try to tell myself that its just like it was then, skilled masters at their crafts trying to push the envelopes of what is possible, and it makes me feel less skeevy about it all.

Jean Valjean

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
0WRoqNi.gif

SxHDtUZ.gif

Like I said, Can You Feel The Love Tonight is sung during the afternoon.

Huey

Oct 27, 2017
Jett, I knew what would be in this thread before I opened it. Bravo.

Disney's second renaissance animation may actually never be topped.

maximumzero

Oct 25, 2017
New Orleans, LA
Definitely a beautiful film. Wish it did more for me. It's one of the few Disney renaissance films that I don't feel any personal connection to, and I was the prime age for such a thing back in 1994.

Heshinsi

Oct 25, 2017
Nope. They figured they had no chance suing Disney.

What would Disney's defence be when a court is shown the exact same imagery in the older film that they lifted? You do this for a university film project and you will be failed or worse. But somehow being a big corporation trumps all that? They can't even argue the inspired argument considering how lazy of a copy it is.

Garlador

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
To think, when it was in production it was once considered the B-project, being a talking animal musical, compared to their then more "serious" project, Pochantas that was also in production, lol.

Even Disney didn't quite grasp the amazing thing they were working on.
Full disclosure, my college animation instructor worked at Disney throughout the Renaissance starting with the Fox and the Hound and was assigned to The Lion King.

Jeffrey Katzenberg threw the "B-team" under the bus SO hard because he was fully convinced Pocahontas was going to be their Oscar-winning golden child, and, yeah, Lion King was just a silly talking animal movie. They had the "B-team" animators on it with their key talent on Pocahontas, they poached the best designers and song writers for their big Oscar-tempting song numbers. Katzenberg told the crew "If this makes $45 million in its lifetime, I'll be pleased." He had rock-bottom expectations for it.

And my instructor told us their team had a fire lit under them to prove they weren't the second-rate animators their boss said they were. Their "silly animal movie" is a cultural landmark now (Kimba controversy notwithstanding) and Pocahontas is considered on of Disney's lesser films.

Durden

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Thanks for this. As with all of these god awful remakes, it's important to remember how breathtaking and completely stellar their source material was and still is.

NekoFever

Oct 25, 2017
Some of the reviews for the new movie mentioned how the CGI characters can't make a wide range of facial expressions because the animators are trying to keep things as realistic as possible. That alone kinda kills the movie for me. Their was so much joy and terror on Simba's face throughout the old movie.
Yeah, one of them said how Zazu talks by just flapping his beak open and closed with dead eyes, which looks and moves like a real bird but in this context looks like they dubbed over some nature footage.