• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BlackNMild2k1

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Bay Area, CA
What's up Marvel people. I saw Thor Ragnarok in 3D because I had no choice and the 3D conversion was surprisingly good. It's a good film.

I'm so glad to hear that, because I'm in the same boat.
got a group of 5 including 2 young kids, and didn't want to wait in a long ass line for a hour or 2 just to get a good seat, so I had to spring for reserved seating in IMAX 3D.

luca

Oct 25, 2017
I'm here.
I know you all missed the banner, so here it is. Credit for the original goes to shield, wherever they are.
This banner is like the essence of this thread, we wouldn't live without it. Good to see it in here and nice to see the rest of the MCU mainstays in here as well.

I like all of these Black Panther avatars in here, they lood great too.

luca

Oct 25, 2017
Just came out of the Thor: Ragnarok movie. It was a good movie, strongest with Taika's editing of humor. It was at least better than Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2. Hela was mostly just there and the ragnarok event felt hollow. I gotta chew on it all a bit.

Nakenorm

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Hello everyone! Been a lurker for years so really excited to finally be an actual member, took me awhile to figure out where my first post should be.

Anyway, seeing Ragnarok tomorrow, hopefully Taika delivers something special.

Cross

Oct 25, 2017
Sweet, does anybody plan to do a Marvel FOX Thread? or can we just discuss here too?

BTW, how do we tag spilers?

luca

Oct 25, 2017
I posted my first impression of Thor: Ragnarok over in the OT spoiler thread. Ended up giving it a ★★★★☆. Mostly because Taika's improvised humor levitated it all, and the rest of it was dull. A villain that really didn't matter, (and I hate talking about stakes) but the whole ragnarok event was just for display. The strongest thing was all the new parts they have added on top of the old and Hulk, Korg and Chris Hemsworth's own performance of Thor came out the strongest. If I have to place it somewhere in my rankings that I keep track of for every Marvel Studios and TV production, I would have to say it is up there among the best without really being an epic product in and of itself.

1. Spider-Man: Homecoming
  2. Captain America: Civil War
  3. Guardians of the Galaxy
  4. Thor: Ragnarok
  5. Ant-Man
  6. Iron-Man
  7. The Avengers
  8. Doctor Strange
  9. Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2
  10. Thor
And looking at that list I shall probably rewatch The Winter Soldier and reconsider if it really isn't a better movie than Doctor Strange per se, because I feel like Winter Soldier had so much more to say and was way better executed than anything in Doctor Strange which felt hollow and very much by the books. I might do some changes honestly. But it's dynamic and it changes all the time depending on my mood and how I feel about certain movies on specific times. I think all of our rankings would probably be very dynamic. Especially with so many films added to the franchise.

BarrBarr

Oct 25, 2017
That Runaways trailer made it look quite good! I've been pretty down on all of the marketing surrounding that show, but I really hope it delivers. I read the original run and it was fantastic, I really hope that the first season is based on the original run. If it is that season finale is going to be so dope!

Rvaan

Oct 25, 2017
I really liked this trailer. Finally they are showing some powers and effects, and a little bit more of Old Lace, and I've really liked the music in all these Runaways trailers. Did we make a thread for this one over in EtCetera?
I don't think so. I believe someone in the TV thread said they were working on one.

AndersK

Oct 25, 2017
Denmark
I can only mostly echo Pachi's thoughts. probably slap half a star more on the rating. One thing i took note of was that this time around, when everyone is calling the movie "fun", they're underselling it. Usually i don't find that to be the case.
First act is half part amusing, half part awkward. Vintage Taika. From act two onwards, i busted my gut along with the rest of the cinema. This IS a straight up comedy with action bits. Action bits that mostly surprised me with their great execution. There are some scenes with quick-cut-itis, but many set pieces are focused and allow you to take them in. CGI had a couple rought parts, for sure, but overall this is probably more gorgeous than Gotg vol 2.

Music is fine, although i guffawed when i saw The Dark world's main theme credited in the ending crawl. Also the cast might be MCU's strongest. At least untill Panther.

In summation:
aW66A.gif

BlackNMild2k1

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Bay Area, CA
Damn... Got another week till I can watch Thor3.

I also don't know anything about Runaway outside of what I've seen in the trailers and read in these threads. But I know I'll be running in on release day.
I assume Hulu follows the weekly format with their shows?

luca

Oct 25, 2017
Kevin Feige responds to the criticism that all MCU movies are the same:
"I think it's just the way we make the movies. I think all the movies are relatively different. I think there's a narrative that people like to write about because they're all produced by the same team and they all inhabit the same fictional cinematic universe. That we look for common similarities. And I'm not saying there aren't common similarities throughout it, but I think Thor: Ragnarok and Spider-Man: Homecoming are two totally different types of movies. They're both fun. People both enjoy them. Is that a similarity? If so, I'll take it. If that's a criticism, I'll take that, too. But really, yeah, Homecoming, Ragnarok, Panther, into Infinity War, Ant-Man and the Wasp after that. And a '90s-set Captain Marvel after that; these are six very different movies. If what they have in common is they're all really enjoyable and fun to watch, then I'll take it."

santi_yo

Oct 26, 2017
My Thor hype is unexpected but pure. I need this movie.

btw, I also need my DC Extended Universe Thread.

Oct 25, 2017
Thor Ragnarok is really enjoyable, the chemistry between Thor and Hulk was my favorite thing.
Easily the best Thor movie, Taika's comedy style is pretty good, nice pull from the guys at Marvel.

JayCB64

Oct 25, 2017
Wales
Seeing Thor tomorrow, but hyped to be back in the MCU thread, infrequent poster and full time lurker here, hoping to get more involved this time around.

luca

Oct 25, 2017
It surprised me that it wasn't only the writing of Hulk and the dialogue he delivers, but also the animation and the way he moves around that was so adorable, and at times I wanted to tidy him up in my hands in ways I would never do with baby Groot.

Smash! Smash! Smash!

Seeing Thor tomorrow, but hyped to be back in the MCU thread, infrequent poster and full time lurker here, hoping to get more involved this time around.
You more than welcome in here, and I and many others hope to read more of your impressions and maybe even how you came to watch former movies in the franchise. No matter if you loved The Winter Soldier or The Dark World, your opinions will be just as welcome as anyone else's. Maybe introduce yourself with your favorite movie or your top five, what your view is on the tv shows, which ones you've seen in the cinema, who's your favorite hero, maybe you even got suggestions or fan casting for future films.

The more we are in here, he more fun we'll all have.

Last edited:

AndersK

Oct 25, 2017
Denmark
I have seen a few people rag on the MCU by saying that critics like it, like credits have a spell over them and are capable of reviewing other movies but MCU. You're a critic and you like an MCU film? Clearly your opinion doesn't mean anything.

It's an unavoidable characteristic, unfortunately, since no other franchise is 20 movies deep or even close. Marvel is first thing you criticize if you're sick of franchises. Shit, look at F n furious, those movies are at their core very alike, but I rarely see that criticism made on their behalf. They're also quite fun, too.
I think that particular critique is inherently flawed, and based on an assumption that these movies are taking the place of other, better movies. Much like the sentiment lamenting all cape movies and talking about burst bubbles. There's so much good stuff put there, 6 capes a year won't ruin everything else.

You Can dislike MCU and that totally cool, I get that sometimes, but I hardly think blanket statements about sameyness are entirely fair. Risk, as it were, isn't to be found in Star Wars or capes, but other genres.

HeySeuss

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
Kinda disappointed hearing Hela isn't all that great of a villian but I guess not unexpected. Unless they just make her character worthless hopefully she doesn't get killed off so she could be brought back later. She seems interesting

luca

Oct 25, 2017
Kinda disappointed hearing Hela isn't all that great of a villian but I guess not unexpected. Unless they just make her character worthless hopefully she doesn't get killed off so she could be brought back later. She seems interesting
Without getting into spoiler territory, the flaw with Hela is, that her character arc goes nowhere and it becomes repetitive quite quickly. She wants to cause ragnarok as we already know from the lead up to the movie premiere, but her way of accomplishing this is neither different, new or interesting. She kind of feels hollow, and I wouldn't care much about her attempt, success or failure. She kind of reminds me of one of those video game NPC character that has an assigned route from point A to B, that keeps walking like there's nothing else around it and it's all just on auto-pilot. There's really not that much to her background to make you care about her either, although there are a few surprises if you haven't seen cast interviews. The performance itself is great though, Cate Blanchett does extremely well with what she have to work with, and you can feel every emotion in her facial expressions and her slight changes in voice tone and the like.

Oct 25, 2017

Before the movie I saw some ramblings on twitter about how Blanchett's performance was hammed up, fortunately it was just an exaggeration, she isn't psychologically interesting or that charismatic but it gets the work done. She sold the menacing aspect well in my opinion.

The only bit that threw me off is when Hela out of nowhere just bursts into a 5 minute long expositional rant that might aswell just have her turn to the camera and break the 4th wall.

Nakenorm

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Seeing Ragnarok in about 5h. Can't wait.
Kinda weird in hindsight how hyped I am for a thor movie, who would've thought that 3-4years ago.

AndersK

Oct 25, 2017
Denmark
Seeing Ragnarok in about 5h. Can't wait.
Kinda weird in hindsight how hyped I am for a thor movie, who would've thought that 3-4years ago.
I Wanna watch it again already. Haven't felt that since Avengers. If Nintendo hadn't held a joycon to my head and forced to to blow the rest of my disposable income on a switch, I just might have done it.

Status
Not open for further replies.