• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Soupman Prime

The Fallen
Nov 8, 2017
Boston, MA
Hype for the Punisher, first season was fantastic and if the action is as great as what I saw in the trailer then the series is ending in a bang for sure. No doubt Bernthal will kill it again.

Hope there's a cameo but I doubt it. Shame we'll never see Punisher interact with Kingpin again or even a Luke Cage.

Saifu

Oct 27, 2017
I hope the series is just Sif telling the Avengers that Coulson has been alive.

Wonder how they'll juggle her schedule with Blindspot.
Im sure they will just ignore her times in AoS, but I hope I am proven wrong.
Feige doesn't want no baggage from the TV side that isn't his own.

Also, Im kinda surprised they are going for Sif instead of Valkyrie.
I thought people liked Valkyrie more than Sif when it comes to the female Asgardian warrior.

Deleted member 5853

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Nobody believed Multiple Man was ever going to happen anyway.
Hey, speak for yourself.

This timeline is doomed now that we won't get Oscar winner James Franco as Multiple Man. The fictions that would have been inspired by it would create a new Golden Age for art. Franco's performance would literally end wars as he dove deep into the depths of Jamie Madrox. His acting would resonate with every soul and we'd be ushered into a new Age for politics and human relations.

DMVfan123

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Virginia
Dark Phoenix being the final "main" Fox-Men movie is such a shitty way to go out.
giphy.gif

Same way they came in.
latest

doinkies

Jun 20, 2018
Loki (officially announced)
Vision and the Scarlet Witch
Falcon and The Winter Soldier
Lady Sif

These seem to be the most certain to happen. While there was also some speculation on a "Rocket and Groot" and "Nick Fury" show.

Sif's show is still more in the speculative stage rn, only DiscussingFilm has talked about it, while the trades have confirmed the first 3. I hope that Sif show gets confirmed, that character's a perfect candidate for these D+ shows and has had way too little screen time - I liked her AoS appearances. I'd also like a BP-related show, maybe one based on this

51VeK3CIl8L._SX323_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Also I wonder when we're going to hear anything about a showrunner for Loki's show, the Vision+SW show has one and the Falcon+WS show has a writer...

Oct 25, 2017
Brooklyn, NY
Sif rumor strikes me as incredibly dubious. Never heard of this site before, the article is poorly written, and I really doubt they'd spend that kind of money on a character who last appeared in a film over half a decade ago.

HeySeuss

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
Looks like it'll be showing with Glass. I wonder if they will show a maskless Peter or only show him in a spidey suit so it doesn't spoil the snap

Saifu

Oct 27, 2017
I don't mind seeing ScarJo fighting folks butt naked.
Nah..This sounds too good to be true.

Nakenorm

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
A Marvel Knights/MAX label for R rated movies and TV shows on Hulu that are still in the MCU would be welcome

Sure. But I don't think Black Widow is suited for it anymore. Not when she's been in a bunch of movies already that were all popular with kids.

Bring on stuff like Blade, Ghost Rider, Moon Knight and.. I dunno, Hellstrom and Satana? Those would all be suited for a R rating.

Peru

Oct 26, 2017
How high is the hit rate for this kind of projection? Feel like there's a danger of building expectations up to a level where a great performance will be deemed 'disappointing' because it couldn't hit those numbers.

Fhtagn

Oct 25, 2017
I'm sure they discussed it, and I'm sure they settled on PG-13.

if they want to do R-rated movies, I think the odds are they'll do a mostly-separate line with new characters.

doinkies

Jun 20, 2018
I'm sure they discussed it, and I'm sure they settled on PG-13.

if they want to do R-rated movies, I think the odds are they'll do a mostly-separate line with new characters.

I think if they had decided to make it R we would have heard about that a while back from Variety/THR/deadline, as that would be a big deal. It doesn't look like it'll actually be rated R though, it's more likely to be a "hard" PG-13 imo.

Since "Once Upon a Deadpool" didn't do well and the Netflix shows are ending, I wouldn't be surprised if they were having discussions about doing an R-rated sub label like Iger had brought up back when the Fox merger was first announced - but I agree that if that happened it would probably be with new characters (and maybe the Defenders characters as well, idk).

Nisaba

Oct 28, 2017
Canada
If they absolutely must release a Spidey trailer before Endgame, it'd be so cool not to actually show Spidey in it but that's definitely unlikely.
I just think it's a bit awkward timing given the snap in IF.

It's nice to hear rumors for Lady Sif, it seems lots of discussions/plans/ideas must be floating around Disney for Marvel tv shows they can produce for their service. I really want to hear more details on the Loki show though.

Deleted member 5853

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Because the movie ended up beeing called Endgame
Ooooh, like that. Yeah, I hope the insiders predictions are accurate this time too.

Although, part of me is disappointed, Marvel aren't holding back all Spidey marketing till May. Imagine how cool that would be, it'd be the movie equivalent of a "surprise drop."

Kind of.

OP
OP
Oct 25, 2017
Ooooh, like that. Yeah, I hope the insiders predictions are accurate this time too.

Although, part of me is disappointed, Marvel aren't holding back all Spidey marketing till May. Imagine how cool that would be, it'd be the movie equivalent of a "surprise drop."

Kind of.
Marvel has no control over Spidey's marketing, nor did they have control on the movie's release date. That's the problem.

If Sony had waited a year, or at least until fall, this could have gone over better. But no, they needed to make sure Spidey was riding that Avengers wave.

Deleted member 5853

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So, I think the consensus is "The Punisher" S2 is mediocre.
There's no single cause of weakness in season two, but rather a steady proliferation of clunky storytelling maneuvers wedded to an unwieldy structure. Melodramatic, moralizing character arcs render even supposedly unstable villains relatively toothless. The Punisher's appeal has always lain with his nihilistic antihero tendencies—Dirty Harry taken to his bleakest logical endpoint. Season one interrogated the ethics of Frank Castle's one-man war with relative success, so to see the show return to the same well with much-diminished returns is a letdown. And thinking that what we all wanted was for Castle to learn how to love again with the help of a headstrong teenage girl serving as a substitute daughter for the one he lost? It's enough to make you wonder if the show has fundamentally misunderstood the strengths of its tormented protagonist.
It's easy to lose count of how many episodes include some variant on Madani telling Castle she can't let him hurt anyone else, only to begrudgingly relent and let him hurt someone else, because she's on a show called The Punisher, and that's how it works. Does the therapist who offers the fugitive Russo protection slowly develop that relationship into something more? Does Frank go a little nuts at one point and require a dark-night-of-the-soul visit to his wife's grave? Does Frank deliver almost the same monologue in multiple episode about how he's not like other people? If you know the tropes of generic action stories, you know the answers.
By the final episodes, even the hoary retreads detailing the psychological toll of violence have gone off the rails, as a series of rank implausibilities hampers an otherwise satisfying end to the new arc, if not the Billy Russo one. Again, some of this is just bad storytelling: It made sense in season one for Castle and Ebon Moss-Bachrach's David Lieberman to poke and prod one another's psyches, locked as they were in a secure facility and forced to confront their insecurities and egos; it makes far less logical sense to have a scared teenager delivering nuanced psychological assessments of Castle an hour after she's met him, just for the sake of hammering home the themes of the show. If The Punisher follows suit with the rest of the Marvel Netflix series (only Jessica Jones has yet to be canceled), this will be the last we see of him on the streaming service. It's a shame such a wild and impulsive character is likely going out on such an underwhelming note.
Action, good. Bernthal, good. Everything else, aggressively meh.

Status
Not open for further replies.