The Academy Award Winning Marvel Cinematic Universe

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lashley

Oct 25, 2017
These Cap Marvel trailers are doing nothing for me.

I got goosebumps at the Endgame teaser though.

BobbyRawlins

Oct 25, 2017
restera is ridiculous. crazy mohawked blonde woman flying through space with no suit surround by cosmic fire and shooting beams of it after punching barehanded through a spaceship piloted by shapeshifting aliens.

"Looks bland"

JayCB

Oct 25, 2017
Wales
restera is ridiculous. crazy mohawked blonde woman flying through space with no suit surround by cosmic fire and shooting beams of it after punching barehanded through a spaceship piloted by shapeshifting aliens.

"Looks bland"
Even as someone who was iffy on the first two trailers, I find it weird that so many people have seemingly made their minds up on it in advance, that TV spot was really good imo. The line delivery one was the weirdest complaint to me - she says 10 words in the trailer. One of them was 'Woo'. Not sure how you can judge delivery either way from that.

BobbyRawlins

Oct 25, 2017
Even as someone who was iffy on the first two trailers, I find it weird that so many people have seemingly made their minds up on it in advance, that TV spot was really good imo. The line delivery one was the weirdest complaint to me - she says 10 words in the trailer. One of them was 'Woo'. Not sure how you can judge delivery either way from that.
Yeah, I don't get it either. I've never read a Captain Marvel book but the trailers at least made me interested if not a little hyped. It's like Marvel hasn't earned the benefit of the doubt by now, even with all their crushing success. I can't even begin to understand how people have come to conclusions about her performance already. I guess because she doesn't smile enough or whatever bullshit.

jph139

Oct 25, 2017
Massachusetts
Captain Marvel is the first movie since Ant-Man/Dr. Strange to have a completely unproven, unknown character as the centerpiece. She doesn't have a strong comic presence, and her "gimmick" - space fighter with a vague cosmic powerset and amnesia - is hard to click with immediately.

I probably would have leaned hard into the 90s stuff for early ads. Something that makes it feel special, like the goofiness of Ant-Man or the pure, unadulterated blackness of Black Panther. Right now it has a sort of "what are you bringing to the table that the MCU hasn't already done?" vibe. You can say first female lead but that doesn't feel like it's in focus.

I do really like the Superbowl ad though. "Higher, further, faster." is a great tagline, and it makes those feminist vibes more explicit.

Status
Not open for further replies.