• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

cdm00

The Fallen
Dec 5, 2018
Brie Larson was a highlight for me and there were a couple "holy shit" moments from me, particularly the 1st post credit scene

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
Lol that Stan Lee cameo was perfect
Me trying to figuring out how it all fits

wHk14Rh.gif

Deleted member 5853

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So, I just came back from watching the movie. And thinking about it on the ride back, I think I found what my issue is with this movie: the writing.

There are moments in "Captain Marvel" that just feel off: two, in particular, where the it doesn't make sense how one character has done something even though they're behind in the movie's "time", and the big emotional scene before the space stuff starts. I think what really makes these scenes feel off is that they're not being properly integrated into the film. I shouldn't find your big emotional scene weirdly comical because I haven't seen enough to merit the emotion coming off the words or the gravitas needed hasn't been earned in the scenes prior. Say what you want about Markus and McFeely, but they've developed a real sense for what works in the Marvel formula: their humor hits, the dramatic moments feel right, and nothing feels out of place.

With Captain Marvel, there are definitely moments that feel out of place or that don't fit with the structure of the movie. However, with all that being said, it definitely doesn't merit a 1.5 or 2 out of 5 as some reviewers were giving it. It is a competent movie made by competent directors, but the issues with the writing and some odd choices when it came to directing make it one of the weaker films in the MCU by far.

Auros01

Avenger
Nov 17, 2017
I'll give more thoughts later but that movie blew me away. Marvel and Brie Larson both knocked it out of the park. That's an easy top 5 MCU movie for me.

Oh - also - Ben Mendelsohn is an absolute treasure.

mocolostrocolos

Attempting to circumvent ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
CM was better than I expected, but average nontheless.

The Marvel Studios fanfare made me shed a tear.

Some retcons here and there.

Goose is the best.

luca

Oct 25, 2017
It's just locked, lol. Dunno.

Now give me that trailer in a week and we're good.

Last edited:

Auros01

Avenger
Nov 17, 2017
So, my highlights from Captain Marvel:
  • The opening mission. I know a lot of reviews mentioned the movie being slow in the first 30 minutes or so but I found the introduction of Starforce and the opening mission to be pretty engaging.
  • All the key actors/actresses delivered but I also thought the chemistry from the whole cast was strong as well. They all played really well off each other, especially Carol and Maria. I really bought into their friendship and the emotion within their scenes.
  • It's been said a million times but the CG used to de-age Samuel L. Jackson was incredible. That really can't be stated enough - what an accomplishment.
  • The mystery was handled well. I don't think the outcome will be a huge surprise to most but I still think it's handled in an interesting manner.
  • Goose
  • Ben Mendelsohn in every scene he's in.
  • Carol once she's fully powered-up (especially the "I'm Just a Girl" fight scene).
  • All the 90s nostalgia
Things I didn't like as much:
  • Would've liked more Coulson and Ronin.
  • Not that I expected more but was still a bit disappointed in the contribution of Minn-Erva / Gemma Chan. I'm a fan of her from Humans but she wasn't really given much to work with in this movie other than having a cool weapon.

The biggest complement I can give this movie is it flew by and didn't at all seem like 2 hours. It actually reminded me a lot of Captain America: TFA in that it's somewhat a period piece (except it's 90s instead of WWII) and I could've watched those characters all day long (just like in TFA). It's not surprising that I feel this way because TFA is in the upper-tier of the MCU, for me.

Deception

Nov 15, 2017
Man wanted to read up on impressions in the CM thread but I see I can't even do that with everyone posting spoilers.

Can someone answer how much of the movie takes place in space vs earth? Cosmic Marvel = Best Marvel.
You can spoiler tag if you want.

luca

Oct 25, 2017
Man wanted to read up on impressions in the CM thread but I see I can't even do that with everyone posting spoilers.

Can someone answer how much of the movie takes place in space vs earth? Cosmic Marvel = Best Marvel.
You can spoiler tag if you want.
First act is space. Second act is Earth. Third act is space. Just like the directors said before the movie released. It's very much a space adventure.

Anth0ny

Oct 25, 2017
As I go down the list, I think I have Captain Marvel ranked at 16/21... which says more about the quality of the MCU as a whole because I really enjoyed the movie.

Still gotta watch it a few more times though.

El Toporo

Oct 25, 2017
I want to give some credit to the OST. It's not mindblowing, but it's the first MCU OST that's managed to catch my attention.

Deception

Nov 15, 2017
First act is space. Second act is Earth. Third act is space. Just like the directors said before the movie released. It's very much a space adventure.
Ok, great thanks! Some of my favorite shots of all of the MCU are when you get those nice cinematic shots of space with all of the beautiful colors and imagery. Always look great on an IMAX screen.

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
It was really nice surprise. The "Thank You, Stan" right after got a pretty big response at my showing - lots of cheers and clapping. Between that and his Cameo, I thought Marvel did a really nice job of paying tribute to Stan during this movie.
I hope they keep it for Endgame and FFH too.

luca

Oct 25, 2017
Not really, why would you think that?
Cause Monica is in the 1990s. She would be in her 30s in the present where Cassie is a child. I assume that's what he is talking about. Marvel could still introduce a young Kate Bishop, Cho and other young heroes in the present though to form the Young Avengers.

Deleted member 5853

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Cause Monica is in the 1990s. She would be in her 30s in the present where Cassie is a child. I assume that's what he is talking about. Marvel could still introduce a young Kate Bishop, Cho and other young heroes in the present though.
I think it's more that Mar-Vell dies in the film, so there's no chance of a modern teenage Hulkling. But, time travel solves all!

Status
Not open for further replies.