• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ManaByte

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Southern California
Next up: The Oscars.

If the Golden Globes thread is anything to go by:
giphy.gif

jph139

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
As much as I love superhero movies (and goddamn do I love them), none of them really deserve awards. Even ones that break out of the "genre film" ghetto (Dark Knight, Spider-Man 2, Logan, and yeah, Black Panther) are just "decent-to-good" in the wider film landscape.

Same with superhero TV. Love me some Agents of SHIELD but it's not even in the top 20 shows this past year.

luca

Oct 25, 2017
While I rarely have comic book movies up in my top 10, I would say that Black Panther score of Ludwig Gorransson definitely is worthy of an Oscar. And Infinity War deserves a nom for visual effects.

jph139

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Oh yeah, they can definitely warrant specific awards - there's aspects of them (effects, score, acting, maybe even screenplay) that could warrant recognition. But I don't think any have come together well enough as a final product.

Like, if Black Panther didn't spend like 20% of its runtime on goofy, pointless CG action it'd be a much better film. And Coogler could have done it, too - look at Creed, which did a great job presenting its boxing scenes in a way that feels meaningful and artful.

It'll happen someday, but it hasn't yet.

FoneBone

Oct 27, 2017
Wonder if we'll get an official confirmation and/or tease sometime today, or if Marvel's just going to drop the trailer cold tomorrow.

Slyonic

Oct 29, 2017

Did Wonder Woman have any of this crap?

EDIT: Seems it doesn't show up here. It says "Joaquin Phoenix gave more expressions in 30 second Joker camera test than the entire Captain Marvel trailer."

Raguel

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
The salt in that Golden Globes thread over Black Panther getting nominated. God damn it's great.

Slyonic

Oct 29, 2017
Already removed, what was it?

It showed Joaquin Phoenix going from serious to smiling, from the Joker camera test. Then it had pictures of Brie Larson from the trailer not smiling.
Showing how a variety of extreme facial expressions look in makeup is one of the main purposes of a camera test.
Ppl not understanding what a camera test is for and hating women in lead roles. Fucking idiots.

Not only that, but Joker's entire signature look is his freaking smile. That's like saying "Captain America's suit looks more patriotic than Captain Marvel's."

ManaByte

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Southern California
Yes and no. Wonder Woman definitely had the "She cannot act" complaints, but it feels much more vocal with Captain Marvel.
Then again, actresses getting shat upon by (certain vocal parts of) the fandom is nothing new when it comes to MCU.

Wonder Woman had:
A false letter from a crew member on the blog Pajiba that claimed the movie was a "mess" and WB was in a panic over it. Patty Jenkins had to personally debunk it as bullshit.
Complaints that she didn't have any armpit hair.
Claims that the movie was "fat shaming" people because of a promotional tie-in with some protein bar brand.

Mix Master

Oct 29, 2017
Thanos comin' brehs, I feel it.
Yes and no. Wonder Woman definitely had the "She cannot act" complaints, but it feels much more vocal with Captain Marvel.
Then again, actresses getting shat upon by (certain vocal parts of) the fandom is nothing new when it comes to MCU.
Same shit happened last year with Panther, then the Opening weekend reciepts came in and folks mysteriously got REAL quiet. Gal got shit on for 2 years, then her movie opens and again folks ain't got shit to say.

We going to the Oscars, brehs
It won't happen but if it do, I'm going straight Shannon Sharpe with the Hennessey, and the black n' milds.

Last edited:

EdReedFan20

Oct 25, 2017
Not entirely Marvel related (but will definitely affect the MCU), but I just realized that Disney is set to acquire Fox in less than one month. Apparently the deal is set to close on January 1st. It's really close.

ContractHolder

Jack of All Streams
Oct 25, 2017
The Russo Brothers are going to be at the Game Awards. Couldn't they just also announce "trailer tomorrow morning" there?

Zero-ELEC

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
México
Marvel Games' trash aesthetic continues to permeate though most all their projects. Only Marvel's Spider-Man survived that, presumably because Insomniac did more than nothing to counteract it.

Status
Not open for further replies.