• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jph139

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Captain Marvel is the first movie since Ant-Man/Dr. Strange to have a completely unproven, unknown character as the centerpiece. She doesn't have a strong comic presence, and her "gimmick" - space fighter with a vague cosmic powerset and amnesia - is hard to click with immediately.

I probably would have leaned hard into the 90s stuff for early ads. Something that makes it feel special, like the goofiness of Ant-Man or the pure, unadulterated blackness of Black Panther. Right now it has a sort of "what are you bringing to the table that the MCU hasn't already done?" vibe. You can say first female lead but that doesn't feel like it's in focus.

I do really like the Superbowl ad though. "Higher, further, faster." is a great tagline, and it makes those feminist vibes more explicit.

luca

Oct 25, 2017

If there was any doubt, Taika don't wanna do Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3. And he wants to do another Marvel movie.

demosthenes

Oct 25, 2017
Pretty clear sarcasm

Especially considering he's the OP of this thread

Fair.

Watched dr. Strange last night instead of the super bowl for our mcu rewatch and I was really happy with it. Sad about mads of course but I'm excited about the possibility of a strong trilogy out of hin and excited to see his powers get stronger after infinity war.

Fuck Fox and Fuck Gambit

Wingfan19

Layout Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Bothell WA
https://www.slashfilm.com/x-men-in-the-mcu/

X-Men in the MCU

Shuler Donner confirmed that all future X-Men decisions would be up to Disney and Feige.

"That would be between Fox and Disney," Shuler Donner said. "Obviously, Kevin and I started the first one. He worked for me. He's got a great story sense. He's got a great ability to weave each world and weave those worlds together. I trust him and I trust that he will take care of the X-Men."

The X-Men Spinoffs In Flux

The success of Wolverine movies and Deadpool put lots of X-Men spinoffs in various stages of development. The longest influx has been Gambit, which now will definitely not get made unless Disney wants to.

"That is up to Disney," Shuler Donner said about Gambit. "That really is up to Disney. I hope so, but that's up to them. The problem is you can't have too many Marvel, X-Men superhero movies out there because we will cancel each other out. Each one has to be distinctive and yet you've got The Avengers to follow through. You've got so many distinctive story canons to follow through and yet we want new ones, but I don't think you can have more than four. Four is a lot because people are going to get sick of them so we have to be careful. He has to be careful."

There's a little more in the article about recasting Wolverine and the Deadpool/X-Force movies as well.

Deleted member 5853

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Schuler-Donner knows nothing about anything post-merger.

She doesn't even know if "New Mutants" will get a theatrical release, since that too is a post-merger decision.

Anth0ny

Oct 25, 2017
Four is a lot because people are going to get sick of them so we have to be careful. He has to be careful."

So you're saying... superhero fatigue is setting in.

Hmm. Not like they grossed $5 billion+ at the box office in 2018 or anything

Deleted member 5853

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think she's not wrong about worrying about superhero fatigue. Like most things, it's a matter of "when", not "if." There'll eventually come a day where people tire of superheroes, so I'd imagine the prospect of this fatigue, whether in 2 years or 20, is a worry of Disney considering how far out Feige tends to plan.

MHWilliams

Oct 25, 2017
In regards to the rumors of New Mutants heading to Hulu, Shuler Donner, who yielded production oversee of the project to Simon Kinberg, says that she's "hopeful" that the teen-horror pic will receive a theatrical release. The pic is currently scheduled to hit theaters on Aug. 2. "They worked hard on it," said Shuler Donner about the film's production team, "I want to see it released (theatrically), I'd hate to see it thrown at Hulu."

Yeah, man. Hulu all the way.

Punished Goku

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
https://www.slashfilm.com/x-men-in-the-mcu/

X-Men in the MCU

Shuler Donner confirmed that all future X-Men decisions would be up to Disney and Feige.

The X-Men Spinoffs In Flux

The success of Wolverine movies and Deadpool put lots of X-Men spinoffs in various stages of development. The longest influx has been Gambit, which now will definitely not get made unless Disney wants to.

There's a little more in the article about recasting Wolverine and the Deadpool/X-Force movies as well.
So Spidey is the only franchise Marvel doesn't own?

jph139

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Which makes it baffling that AoS is still somehow alive... double alive, even.

JayCB64

Oct 25, 2017
Wales
Will this be the first mainstream American blockbuster to have an intermission in a very long time?
Haha, maybe!

From the article
"We have screened the movie four times for audiences now," Anthony Russo told us. "For the first three screenings, not a single person got up to go to the bathroom."
..I'm hoping thats because they didn't wanna miss a thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.