• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mix Master

Oct 29, 2017
User Banned (2 weeks): Misrepresenting information and sexism; history of sexist commentary
What did Daisy Ridley do to divide Star Wars fan bases?
Brie is outta pocket IMO, saying you want less White men on your press tour will never go over well. Even if she's right, it's not something you say.

Jombie

Oct 27, 2017
Brie is outta pocket IMO, saying you want less White men on your press tour will never go over well. Even if she's right, it's not something you say.

So, the best way to implement inclusivity in entertainment media is everyone to stay quiet? If the movie flops, (it won't) it won't be because of Larson. No one but internet man-babies give a shit, the general public certainly doesn't.

OP
OP
Oct 25, 2017
I don't think the Star Wars fanbase is divided. Those people who are constantly negative about it on the internet are not fans anymore. You generally don't call yourself a fan of a thing you're not enjoying.

If the implication that pushing for the inclusion of women and minorities in white male dominated spaces is somehow detrimental to a piece of media's success, a movie like Solo: A Star Wars Story should have been more successful just by virtue of being led by a white man.

I think you overestimate the importance of catering to white male fragility.

Quick

Oct 25, 2017

Quick

Oct 25, 2017
All three LOTRs were more than three hours and didn't need one. Come on now, that's silly.

I guess people have a way shorter attention span nowadays.

I wouldn't chalk it up completely on short attention spans. There are people with specific needs as well that an intermission may be beneficial.

And at the end of the day, why say no to conveniences when it's being offered without affecting your viewing experience?

Lady Bow

Nov 30, 2017
I don't think the Star Wars fanbase is divided. Those people who are constantly negative about it on the internet are not fans anymore. You generally don't call yourself a fan of a thing you're not enjoying.

If the implication that pushing for the inclusion of women and minorities in white male dominated spaces is somehow detrimental to a piece of media's success, a movie like Solo: A Star Wars Story should have been more successful just by virtue of being led by a white man.

I think you overestimate the importance of catering to white male fragility.
Well said.

Alexandros

Oct 26, 2017

That's not necessarily true. I don't enjoy Star Trek Discovery but I am very much a fan of Star Trek. I assume some Star Wars fans feel the same. When long-standing franchises go through changes and reinterpretations, it's not strange for people who enjoyed them in the past to not enjoy the new version. I am a TNG-era fan and I fully acknowledge that fans of TOS might have not enjoyed it. I don't consider them not fans, just fans who like different things.

OP
OP
Oct 25, 2017
That's not necessarily true. I don't enjoy Star Trek Discovery but I am very much a fan of Star Trek. I assume some Star Wars fans feel the same. When long-standing franchises go through changes and reinterpretations, it's not strange for people who enjoyed them in the past to not enjoy the new version. I am a TNG-era fan and I fully acknowledge that fans of TOS might have not enjoyed it. I don't consider them not fans, just fans who like different things.

You're not the kind of person I was talking about then.

I'm talking about the kind of person who spends hours and days whining and complaining and bitching about something that they only had to watch once, as if it somehow retroactively makes the old thing bad. Actively disliking the thing on a regular basis has somehow become their new hobby. Whatever you call that kind of person, a fan ain't it.

Fuzzy

Completely non-threatening
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
And at the end of the day, why say no to conveniences when it's being offered without affecting your viewing experience?
An intermission does affect the viewing experience. You're taking a break in the middle of a movie you're hopefully enjoying and when it does start again there will be more than a few people disturbing you getting back to their seats because they took too long going to the restroom or concession stand for more food.

Quick

Oct 25, 2017
An intermission does affect the viewing experience. You're taking a break in the middle of a movie you're hopefully enjoying and when it does start again there will be more than a few people disturbing you getting back to their seats because they took too long going to the restroom or concession stand for more food.

What's the difference for when people get out of their seat in the middle of the movie then? It would probably be the same thing overall. Especially with a potential 3-hour movie.

If a majority of people can respect a movie's showtime and be there on time, I think an intermission can work out just the same.

Dread it, run from it, inconveniences still arrive.

Fuzzy

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
What's the difference for when people get out of their seat in the middle of the movie then? It would probably be the same thing overall. Especially with a potential 3-hour movie.

If a majority of people can respect a movie's showtime and be there on time, I think an intermission can work out just the same.

Dread it, run from it, inconveniences still arrive.
An intermission actively encourages more people to get up and makes it worse than if there wasn't one.

Quick

Oct 25, 2017
An intermission actively encourages more people to get up and makes it worse than if there wasn't one.

Not that it's worth overthinking, but I'd rather people leave at a designated time to do what they need to do versus leaving at various points in the movie, especially the climax.

doinkies

Jun 20, 2018

If you read what she actually said, nowhere does she say she wants less white men or that white men are banned, just that she wants more female and PoC journalists and critics on the press tour too. It's a good thing she's calling for, and MS/Disney look to be supporting her as well.

As far as the intermission thing, Anthony Russo's comment about how 2 out of 3 test screenings had the audiences engaged enough that they didn't even get up to go to the bathroom was a response to a question about putting in an intermission. So I don't think they will put in an intermission.

Fuzzy

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Not that it's worth overthinking, but I'd rather people leave at a designated time to do what they need to do versus leaving at various points in the movie, especially the climax.
I've hated intermissions since STC did a screening of the LotR EE and did a 10-minute break at the same place where you switch discs on the home release. Horrible. Bunch of people started yelling for the projectionist to start the movie. lol

Quick

Oct 25, 2017
I've hated intermissions since STC did a screening of the LotR EE and did a 10-minute break at the same place where you switch discs on the home release. Horrible. Bunch of people started yelling for the projectionist to start the movie. lol

LET MY PEOPLE PEE

Also damn I forgot the EEs were screened. Where the fuck was I? 😅

JayCB64

Oct 25, 2017
Wales
Maybe I just have a bladder of steel, but intermissions seems like a dumb idea for the pace of the movie, signed the guy who had a large coke while watching Return of the King and didn't need to pee at all (me)

JayCB64

Oct 25, 2017
Wales
Intermissions are a neat idea.

...why? If they did include an intermission, they would presumably cut the film so that the pacing makes sense?
I'd rather one intense ride than a gap they'd have to force in..they could cut it that way, but filming is done so its something they'd have to just insert rather than something the writers etc would of accounted for and wrote with in mind

wyndhamprice

Oct 27, 2017
The biggest argument against intermissions is that theaters just aren't equipped to handle that kind of traffic. You're just asking for traffic jams in the bathrooms with multiple screenings all hitting that mark in the same 15 minute window and there's zero incentive for theater chains to limit their screening schedule because of that.

Intermissions made sense back when theater houses basically just played the same movie all day back when roadshows were commonplace but the modern multiplex was born out of an era where those don't happen anymore.

Platy

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil

Favorite moment: Killmonger's final monologue

kviFEPW.jpg

2DbNkg6.png

Status
Not open for further replies.