• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Richiek

Nov 2, 2017
New Endgame promo art featuring Captain Marvel:

D0vxgzNWoAMv94n.jpg

D0vxgzRWoAMoInT

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
Can someone get me up to speed on the outrage against Captain Marvel on Twitter? From what I can tell, it seems like certain people took Brie Larson's words out of context & ran with it, but I want to be sure.

Nakenorm

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Can someone get me up to speed on the outrage against Captain Marvel on Twitter? From what I can tell, it seems like certain people took Brie Larson's words out of context & ran with it, but I want to be sure.

That's certainly part of it, but some are just salty because it's a female superhero. Bries comments just gave them more ammunition.

Nakenorm

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
So basically certain people who were gonna hate on the movie anyway made their own ammunition out of Brie's comments.

Yeah people have been down on the character since they announced it. Some for legitimate reasons, I guess, as some wasn't a fan of the comic version, even if that too is kinda weird since MCU have a history of improving characters.

But when Brie's comments about her wanting more diversity among the press staff got out it just got out of control and now people are comparing her to Hitler and screaming "WHITE GENOCIDE!".

Last edited:

HotHamBoy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Something I've been thinking about since I re-watched Infinity War last night (capping off a rewatch of the whole MCU).

Why did Infinity War get such middling critical reviews?

It's one of the most enjoyable watches in the MCU. I find it one of the easiest rewatches, too, despite its length. I haven't met anyone who didn't like it, and I include people who generally don't care about Marvel films.

I realize the film is all connective tissue and little meat, that it doesn't stand alone at all, that you need to watch a lot of the previous MCU films to truly appreciate it, but why should that be a ding against it? It accomplishes exactly what it sets out to do and serves up major payoffs for previous MCU films.

Should every MCU film be judged as a standalone work, or should how it factors into the larger body of films be given more consideration?

When we look back on the MCU, should we view it as a series of connected but ultimately seperate films or should we see it as a cinematic tv series where some episodes may be stronger than others but ultimately the show is judged as a whole?

Here's an example of what I mean: Doctor Strange is just okay, but watching that film before Infinity War does a lot for Strange's character in Infinity War. You don't need to see Strange first but you get so much more from Infinity War for having done so because Infinity War doesn't have time to build Strange as a character and leans a lot on you already being familiar with him.

I think that's going to certainly be true for Captain Marvel and Endgame.

Last edited:

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
Something I've been thinking about since I re-watched Infinity War last night (capping off a rewatch of the whole MCU).

It's one of the most enjoyable watches in the MCU. I find it one of the easiest rewatches, too, despite its length. I haven't met anyone who didn't like it, and I include people who generally don't care about Marvel films.

I realize the film is all connective tissue and little meat, that it doesn't stand alone at all, that you need to watch a lot of the previous MCU films to truly appreciate it, but why should that be a ding against it? It accomplishes exactly what it sets out to do and serves up major payoffs for previous MCU films.

Should every MCU film be judged as a standalone work, or should how it factors into the larger body of films be given more consideration?

When we look back on the MCU, should we view it as a series of connected but ultimately seperate films or should we see it as a cinematic tv series where some episodes may be stronger than others but ultimately the show is judged as a whole?
They may be more connected than most franchises, but they should still work as individual films regardless. Like the middle film of a trilogy is the middle act of the larger narrative, but it still needs to be a complete story on its own.

I wouldn't exactly call the MCU serialized

Anth0ny

Oct 25, 2017

Here's an example of what I mean: Doctor Strange is just okay, but watching that film before Infinity War does a lot for Strange's character in Infinity War. You don't need to see Strange first but you get so much more from Infinity War for having done so because Infinity War doesn't have time to build Strange as a character and leans a lot on you already being familiar with him.

I think that's going to certainly be true for Captain Marvel and Endgame.

i imagine the critics didn't have a photographic memory of the 18 films leading up to it like us and were completely overwhelmed trying to keep up with 30 characters.

Infinity War is truly a one of a kind scenario.

Soupman Prime

The Fallen
Nov 8, 2017
Boston, MA
i imagine the critics didn't have a photographic memory of the 18 films leading up to it like us and were completely overwhelmed trying to keep up with 30 characters.

Infinity War is truly a one of a kind scenario.
Some of us don't have great memories either. I remember listening to podcasts after IW and nearly pulling my hair at what some of these fans were saying.

Worse was someone seeing Black Panther twice and not knowing BP was stripped of his powers before fighting in challenges.

Sadist

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Holland
At the end of the day, reviews are strange. I assume the majority of them are still there to tick boxes of a film and everything else is weird nonsense.

Captain Marvel hype

molnizzle

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I was just thinking how tne side effect of dusting BP in Infinity War is by the time BP2 rolls around, it'll feel like we haven't seen T'Challa in forever and the hype will be at the same level as the first movie (or more). Smart business, Feige.

VectorPrime

Banned
Apr 4, 2018
I just finished iron man 3 for the first time and I'm a bit confused. So all of the explosions around the country were accidents from vets who couldn't handle the extremis and Gillian created the mandarin to pretend he did them to cover them up? So every time a patient randomly blew up the Mandarin would then go "yeah I totally did that fear me" and retroactively take credit?

OP
OP
Oct 25, 2017
I just finished iron man 3 for the first time and I'm a bit confused. So all of the explosions around the country were accidents from vets who couldn't handle the extremis and Gillian created the mandarin to pretend he did them to cover them up? So every time a patient randomly blew up the Mandarin would then go "yeah I totally did that fear me" and retroactively take credit?
It's a stupid fucking movie.

Nakenorm

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017

It's a stupidly good movie, just go with it.

luca

Oct 25, 2017

Red carpet is in a few minutes. And then Brie will appear on Jimmy Kimmel later tonight.

Last edited:
Kevin Feige Interview with Rotten Tomatoes
OP
OP
Oct 25, 2017

Ahead of the release of 'Captain Marvel,' Marvel Studios' President Kevin Feige sat down with Rotten Tomatoes to talk about the dramatic conclusion to the MCU's Phase 3. How does Captain Marvel factor into the wider Universe? How did Feige and the team chose who lived, and who got dusted, at the end of 'Infinity War'? What could Disney+ and the Fox acquisition mean for the future of the MCU? The famously tight-lipped producer is spilling some beans. Plus, Feige details the decision to include a touching tribute to the late Stan Lee at the top of Marvel's latest blockbuster.

Oct 25, 2017

Yet the real Mandarin is still out there :p

Maybe he was cool being given credit for Extremis explosions lol

luca

Oct 25, 2017
We need that one scene in Endgame, where every single hero surrounds Thanos and makes it look like a painting. Like the Valkyries v Hela scene in Thor: Ragnarok.

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
Oh shit, Sean Gunn was at the premiere? James Gunn to return, Zatt has been vindicated!

😢

mreddie

Oct 26, 2017
I'm sure James has said fuck it, Sean is there for the job but who knows once they lock up a director for V3.

Status
Not open for further replies.